PDA

View Full Version : traction

jimskin4
01-13-2008, 10:35 AM
is there any way to get some better traction out of a 7g. i cant get traction in first or second gear. when taking off

DOHCstunr
01-13-2008, 11:14 AM
get wider wheels/tires,
get better tires.
run lower tire pressure
get more weight over the front axles
stiffen up your suspension with coilovers and make the rear extra stiff
get a set of prothane polyurethane suspension bushings,
get an alignment on your lowered vehicle so you have maximum contact patch with the road
get a quaiffe or kaaz limited slip differential.

get a heavier pressure plate for your clutch and a track clutch that you can let slip, street discs don't last when you slip them often. slipping the clutch will allow you(for lack of a better term) bleed off the excess power so you can stay wide open throttle and keep yoru turbo spooled, and by working the clutch and letting it slip you can minimize wheel spin

6G72gearhead
01-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Go with the smallest wheel size you can fit over your brakes, and run a very high profile tire. On low pressure the sidewall will absorb some shock load and help you hook a little.

Run stiff springs in the back, and get lowered, it will help reduce weight transfer.

komodo
01-14-2008, 01:55 AM
Load your trunk with bricks :twisted:

WarmAndSCSI
01-14-2008, 01:57 AM
I really hope you're joking... That would work if we had REAR WHEEL DRIVE cars. :roll:

komodo
01-14-2008, 02:21 AM
I really hope you're joking... That would work if we had REAR WHEEL DRIVE cars. :roll:

lol yes I was joking. I've seen it done though on cars like the miata, fc and mr2... or maybe they were just hauling bricks to build something. who knows.

4-G-rim
01-14-2008, 10:57 AM
All the suggestions that DOHCstuner recommended will improve traction, but our cars are FWD, and will always suffer from traction problems compared to rear wheel drive cars and AWD cars. My suspension setup is pretty decent and I switched from a 18x7.5 w/ 215/35/18 tire and wheel combo to a 17x8 w/ 225/45/17 wheel and tire combo and there is a big difference in traction between the tire/wheel combo. My 17's on the car now allow me to be a bit aggressive during initial acceleration and I am running a bigger turbo than previous too.

Sleepervr-4
01-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Dude traction will always be an issue with fwd. I had got one of those lsd insert when I had my 7g Turbo and it helped some but the problem still was there. Good luck with your battle and try everything that dohcstunr mentioned.

icweirdppl
01-14-2008, 08:02 PM
how do you get less traction out of the four wheel drive? lol

Sleepervr-4
01-14-2008, 09:42 PM

run 4 spares :lol:

WarmAndSCSI
01-14-2008, 09:44 PM

run 4 spares :lol:
That would be insanely funny. I wonder how fast you could pop all 4 spares by doing a burnout... :lol:

6G72gearhead
01-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Hell I just want to roll at about 20 and lite 'em all 4 up. That would be terriffying to anyone out trying to race you.

And dude 15's and smaller are your friend if you really want the car to hook. Most FWD guys in my area plan on the car dead hooking in 3rd, and simply accept wheelspin in 1st and 2nd they just try and get it to build as muc speed as possible while blowing the tires off.

T-double
01-16-2008, 10:39 AM
traction bars......you just ask arund some people can make some for you.......I got a set made by a buddy of mine for about 40 bucks......I don't know how well they are going to help seeing that my 7g is down for the monment....