PDA

View Full Version : Big Brake Thoughts

evil-G-nius
01-13-2008, 03:09 PM
I know everyone is looking for a big brak kit...me included and I was wondering why no one has mentioned getting a kit from another car like a late model TL or Mirage? I was checking and really all we need is the same bolt pattern correct? So why not look to alternative cars that have big brake kits available? I never saw any of this mentioned here before...any thoughts?

WarmAndSCSI
01-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Caliper brackets have to line up, too.

evil-G-nius
01-13-2008, 03:58 PM
well depends...like the power slots cryo big brakes had a caliper relocation kit. Get one for a car with the same patter should be able to use it anyways

WarmAndSCSI
01-13-2008, 04:05 PM
That's what I mean, the bolt holes have to line up.

kolio
01-13-2008, 04:06 PM
ya but going more than dual piston is over kill on our cars. i don't even have abs.

let alone the fact massive calipers in front and drums in the back, then you have to do rear disk conversion.

it's much more easy to get 6G vr-4 rotors and dual piston GSX or diamante clipers.

if your upgrading braking so much you might as well gett BBK for a eclipse or 6G vr-4

very few cars have 4X115 or whatever it is we have. the 6G has i dentical. i got my brake lines and calipers, just need rotors. but i need stock wheels for winter that will fit. i got 14" hubbies.

that is another problem too, in the winter with other kits will your stock rims fit?

my opinion stick to great braking upgrade that works and doesn't cost you alot

DOHCstunr
01-13-2008, 04:31 PM
dual pistons up front, discs in the rear,, stainless lines, high boiling point fluid, a good condition master cylinder, well lubricated brake contact points, solid suspension, and a nice aggressive brake pad compound(like ceramic)
and you'll have all the brake you need.

trust me, its fantastic.

RedGalant2k1
01-13-2008, 04:31 PM
4x4.5 (114.3)

If you want big brakes you are best off swapping to a 5 lug setup for the 6G VR4.

Though you might find some kits that may work from cars like the Nissan Altima (earlier 4 lug) and Hyundais (earlier 4 lug).

kolio
01-13-2008, 05:23 PM
4x4.5 (114.3)

If you want big brakes you are best off swapping to a 5 lug setup for the 6G VR4.

Though you might find some kits that may work from cars like the Nissan Altima (earlier 4 lug) and Hyundais (earlier 4 lug).

6G vr-4 is 4 lug

ohh and the 7th gen vr-4 is 4 lug

and some 8th gen vr-4 are 4lug

DOHCstunr
01-13-2008, 06:25 PM
upgraded rotor big brake kits, like the aem's that only move the stock caliper out in order to cram in bigger rotors.... only increase unsprung weight.
they offer little in daily driven braking.

real big brake kits, that replace the factory calipers and use billet 2 piece brake rotors, are very very costly.

d2 makes a 8 pot front brake kit for the 7g,
and a 6 pot rear brake kit for the 7g.

WarmAndSCSI
01-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Upgraded calipers are nice, but a BBK kit like the AEM one at least gives you the benefit of both greater braking force, and better heat dissipation. The larger rotor diameter gives the caliper a longer moment arm, thus creating more torque during braking. In addition, you get more rotor surface area resulting in better heat transfer from the rotor to the surrounding air.

I'm only saying this because I'd say most people buying AEM/PowerSlot's big brake kits don't understand this... people just typically think bigger = better without thinking "why?"

kolio
01-13-2008, 06:32 PM
my problem is i lock the brackes now, with dual pistons i know it's gonna be alot worse. but it'd not gonna stop me

my foot has become it's own abs system

evil-G-nius
01-13-2008, 08:25 PM
All of the above are true...I was curious thought for the reason of I noticed a big difference in just changing to the slotted rotors from Brembo. I wanted a larger diameter rotor for when I go turbo...a little extra stopping power and all without having to do the lug swap. But in the same respect I didnt think that a "real" big brake kit was going to be necessary...like Kolio said...overkill. Since the Powerslots with the bracket relocating kit doesnt come for our cars, I was looking to other makes for this idea. I figure, bring up the topic because there are some that want a full out big brake kit and I thought it would be a good idea to look into some of the other makes with the same bolt pattern.

seth98esT
01-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Unless you are track driving your car and are using a R compound tire, the upgrades DOHstunr listed will be plenty enough for a street driven car. If you lock your brakes up with duel piston calipers, might try finding a better tire :P

FYI - When going with dual piston calipers, you use the 6gVR4 slotted rotors which are larger in diameter then the stock 7g rotors.

DOHCstunr
01-13-2008, 09:33 PM
seth has rocked the big brakes, he knows

RedGalant2k1
01-13-2008, 09:42 PM
4x4.5 (114.3)

6G vr-4 is 4 lug

ohh and the 7th gen vr-4 is 4 lug

and some 8th gen vr-4 are 4lug

Ooo, I had the eclipse in mind.