PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover Wont Come off

lonestar22
01-16-2008, 03:06 PM
i have everything unbolted and theres not really a good way to get an angle on it, and i dont want to damage the valve cover.
how do u guys get it off?

WarmAndSCSI
01-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Block of wood, rubber mallet. Anything that's not going to warp the cover. Give it a few firm taps and it should loosen.

QnzMostWanted
01-16-2008, 03:16 PM
i just unbolted mine and lifted it up via the spots where the accel cable goes

4-G-rim
01-16-2008, 03:42 PM
I ran into that problem before. I just got a flathead screwdriver and gently wedged the head of the flathead between the head and the cover in strategic spots.

seth98esT
01-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Id use the rubber mallet and wood, just tap at the corners. Can also take off the oil cap and try to pull from there, but if it doesnt come off easy, use the rubber mallet.

lonestar22
01-16-2008, 05:49 PM
tried rubber mallet, tried prying it with a flathead
i even tried sticking something through the oil cap and prying it up, didnt try to hard though because i didnt want to damage anything.

frag_daddy_2007
01-16-2008, 10:21 PM
one good smack with a 6lb rubber hammer did it fine for me, on both cars

phizzalot
01-16-2008, 10:40 PM
I just did mine and was having trouble at first. I used a long flat head to pry the Valve cover up on the back side by the intake. There was a little lip there to get under and pop it off..

Hope that helps...

pinoyesv6
01-17-2008, 09:43 AM
i would go with the block of wood and mallet method.

i would first double and triple check to make sure you removed everything that needs to be removed.

just go around the side of the valve cover and hit it with the mallet, and using the block of wood to help distribute the force. just hit a little bit harder the next time you go around the valve cover. it will eventually break free.

i was at the junk yard once and had to pull a valve cover. didn't have a mallet or a block of wood. just stood up on the radiator support and used my boot to break the cover free.