PDA

View Full Version : ABS hydraulic unit

aznronin
01-16-2008, 05:59 PM
my abs light is on and i was told by my mechanic that it is the abs hydraulic unit. the part alone is about 1 grand. i have a 1999 galant gtz. anyone on this board have a source for this part at a more reasonable price? how much should the labor for the install be?

WarmAndSCSI
01-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Brand new part is $903 MSRP from the dealer. MitsubishiParts.com has it for $700 which is pretty close to at cost. Not going to get much cheaper than that for Mitsubishi Genuine parts. The labor for the install will be at least a couple hundred as it involves disconnecting and connecting the brake lines at the modulator and then bleeding all 4 brakes. Think the cost of a brake job but quite a bit extra because the mechanic has to work on the ABS system as well.

For your reference, the two part numbers I pull for the ABS modulator for a Cali-spec 1999 GTZ are:
MR249980 and MR307331. They very well could be the same part (one superseded the other maybe) but the only distinguishing note on the MR307331 is "C32." Last time I asked my dealership what those notes meant, they weren't able to tell me. It's probably a reference to a TSB or something. If ManyBrews were around he could clear that up.

lonestar22
01-16-2008, 06:14 PM
exactly why my G's dont have ABS

aznronin
01-18-2008, 09:19 PM
is the proper term for this part the abs hydraulic unit or abs pump module?

WarmAndSCSI
01-18-2008, 09:21 PM
is the proper term for this part the abs hydraulic unit or abs pump module?
Mitsubishi calls it a Modulator or a Hydraulic Unit, Brake. It's really the only thing in the ABS system that costs that much, so don't worry about ordering the wrong item.