PDA

View Full Version : Dealer keeps adding too much oil

keithert
01-22-2008, 09:42 PM
The last 2 oil changes my dealer has overfilled the oil by 3/4 quart. Tonight I pointed it out and had them take some out. They only got it down to 1/3 quart too much. Funny thing is they haven't done this on my Montero Sport. Does the Galant take a long time to drain down after the engine is running, so maybe they check it after filling and then add more? Does this happen to anyone else? I know doing it myself is easy, but my dealer only charges $15 for the change. If I have to go home and drain some off every time though I might as well change it myself.

pinoyesv6
01-22-2008, 09:47 PM
check the oil before you leave the dealership and if its too much, tell them to get it right before you leave. it doesnt take that long from oil to get from the opening in the valve cover all the way down.

dknight3
01-22-2008, 10:53 PM
i only put 4 quarts in my v6.

WarmAndSCSI
01-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Both engines on the USDM 8G take 4.52 qt when dry. Overfilling the 6G72 won't hurt anything as the crank does not contact the main pool of oil (sump) directly. Overfilling it 5-6 extra quarts, however, could cause problems. Can somebody confirm this for the 4G64?

6G72gearhead
01-22-2008, 10:59 PM
At least their not using 75W-90.

Divinity
01-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Exactly how long does it take them to do the oil change? Is it extremely quick?

At least their not using 75W-90.

:lol:

IVORY_G
01-22-2008, 11:28 PM
According to the "Haynes Repair Manual for the Mitsubishi Galant", the engine oil capacity including the oil filter=4.5 quarts/(4.3L)*

*Since this is a dry-fill specification, the amount required during a routine fluid change may be substantially less. The best way to determine the amount of fluid to add during a routine fluid change is to measure the amount drained.

WarmAndSCSI
01-22-2008, 11:32 PM
According to the "Haynes Repair Manual for the Mitsubishi Galant", the engine oil capacity including the oil filter=4.5 quarts/(4.3L)*

*Since this is a dry-fill specification, the amount required during a routine fluid change may be substantially less. The best way to determine the amount of fluid to add during a routine fluid change is to measure the amount drained.
Same exact thing in the FSM. I read it incorrectly earlier. 4.2 for the pan, 0.32 for the oil filter. I always fill with 5 quarts as to help prevent oil starvation during hard acceleration or cornering.

IVORY_G
01-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Yeah I didnt know this and when I use to fill up with 4 quarts, I would end up low and I didnt figure out why till I read the Haynes Repair Manual. I love that book, saves me a lot of money. 8)

6G72gearhead
01-22-2008, 11:44 PM
I fill it up to 4.5 quarts includeing the .3 ish I use to fill up the filter.

RedGalant2k1
01-23-2008, 12:55 AM
Both engines on the USDM 8G take 4.52 qt when dry. Overfilling the 6G72 won't hurt anything as the crank does not contact the main pool of oil (sump) directly. Overfilling it 5-6 extra quarts, however, could cause problems. Can somebody confirm this for the 4G64?

Overfilling is always an issue in any pressurized system be it brakes, coolant, oil, on any vehicle. Same goes for underfilling.

For others reference purposes those hash marks are there for a reason. Follow the manufacturer recommend fluid capacities, your car will perform much better.

Keithert, I've never had my old 4G64 (or any I've service) take a "extra" to drain. It sounds like whoever is doing the oil change doesn't know the proper capacities for the Galant with a 6G72.

If its been a persistent issue, go to another dealership or oil change shop, or better yet if possible do it yourself.

WarmAndSCSI
01-23-2008, 01:03 AM
The oil sump is not pressurized... The pickup screen is supposed to below the sump line any way and an extra quart will BARELY raise the oil level considering the relatively large volume of the 6G72 upper and lower oil pans. The level would be nowhere NEAR where the crank could start foaming the sump. The oil pump won't care as it expects the pickup to be submerged any way. Overfilling 1 quart is pretty much standard procedure for racing and I'm pretty convinced it's safe on a 6G72 considering how much load I put on the engines I build, on a day-to-day basis. It's not like I pay some shop to rebuild my engines, they're all done right in the garage minus raw machining.

On many engines, this is an issue, that's why I asked for input concerning the 4G64 since I am not familiar with them.

RedGalant2k1
01-23-2008, 01:06 AM
The oil sump is not pressurized... The pickup screen is supposed to below the sump line any way and an extra quart will BARELY raise the oil level considering the relatively large volume of the 6G72 upper and lower oil pans. The level would be nowhere NEAR where the crank could start foaming the sump. The oil pump won't care as it expects the pickup to be submerged any way. Overfilling 1 quart is pretty much standard procedure for racing.

Well thats very applicable for your requirements, its not for the daily driver. I'd still recommend going to a different dealership. Your oil pressure will be higher than it should be. Mitsubishi (or any other company) doesn't just make up the fluid capacities.

Severe service, and racing is excluded, remember this is normal street driving we are talking about.

WarmAndSCSI
01-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Oil pressure will not be affected by overfilling 1 quart. It would only be affected if you were causing direct sump contact with the crankshaft and inducing foaming or under filling it and starving the oil pump. Besides that, it's bearing and oil pump clearances that dictate oil pressure.

6G72gearhead
01-23-2008, 01:30 AM
Yeah, it doesnt matter how much oil is in it, as long as its enough to run oil through all the passeges, hell it could be 2 quarts dwon and still have the same oil pressure, it will stay the same if its a quart or two over.

I've actually seen instances where the windage of the crankshaft started pulling oil up around the crank and running the motor dry on oil. This happened on an overfilled motor.

Warm you're probably fine with 1-1.5 quarts over, but much more than that and you'll either need a windage tray or swap it to a dry sump.

WarmAndSCSI
01-23-2008, 01:32 AM
6G72 does have a windage tray ;) At least a partial one.

6G72gearhead
01-23-2008, 01:49 AM
It helps alot, but it has its limits.

WarmAndSCSI
01-23-2008, 01:52 AM
It could be improved, yes. The day I see 3SX carry an upgraded windage tray on their site is the they day I'll consider buying one, though.

6G72gearhead
01-23-2008, 01:55 AM
Dry sump with pre-oiler FTW. I'd kinda consider doing that.

6G72Galant
01-23-2008, 05:11 AM
I put in about 4.5 quarts whenever i change my oil. No more, no less. I usually let my oil drain about 5minutes. Just to be sure most of the old oil is out.

keithert
01-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Wow, a lot of replies! I adjusted the oil level back to the top of the full mark on the dipstick. I take it to the dealer because because they are so cheap and when it was under warranty they would frequently find other things to fix under the warranty. Now that it is out I may do it myself. The V6 is very well designed in that the oil filter is right next to the drain bolt. Can't get much easier. On our Montero Sport there is a skid plate that has to come off.

Gtsnapper
03-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Where ever I take my car for an oil change, they always put a little too much oil in. It doesnt appear to have caused any problems so far.

I am however buying oil pans and service ramps so I can do it myself, and put the right amount of oil in.

RAZ_76
03-25-2008, 11:41 PM
The only time someone else touches my car is for an alignment and even then I drive it on the alignment rack. Most techs these days don't know shit.

6G72gearhead
03-26-2008, 12:57 AM
Heh, I only let people I know do alignments on my car. Most shops wont do what I want them to do, and even then I dont want someone I dont know and trust screwing around with my car.