PDA

View Full Version : Question about Brake calipers

wright06jhs
01-23-2008, 12:19 AM
My question is different from others.
First of all im having problems with my passenger side front caliper sometimes sticking, and its getting more frequent. So i decided to get a used caliper to replace it. Well the people i ordered it off of sent me a dual piston caliper and i have single, considering i have an 01 GTZ.

SO my quesiton is will i have problems bolting this up to my single piston caliper bracket?
Also will i have problems running a single on one side and a dual on another.
Just curious? Because i would hate to have to send this one back right now after all the waiting i have done. Because i need it changed really bad.

I know this is a noob question but all the cars i have had ahs always had single piston calipers.

WarmAndSCSI
01-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Yes, your braking will be greatly unbalanced considering the front brakes provide the majority of the stopping force for your car. It could be a potential hazard if you ever need to do any emergency braking. Your ABS system will no longer work as designed as well.

Please, whatever you do, do not mismatch your brake calipers on one axle.

pinoyesv6
01-23-2008, 12:28 AM
i would go and return the caliper and just get a remanufactured unit at the auto parts store.

that would be the cheap thing to do.

to get that dual piston caliper to even work, you would need new pads and rotors since its different for the dual piston calipers

wright06jhs
01-23-2008, 12:37 AM
ok thanks I think ill just get a single..lol

RedGalant2k1
01-23-2008, 01:31 AM
Yes, your braking will be greatly unbalanced considering the front brakes provide the majority of the stopping force for your car. It could be a potential hazard if you ever need to do any emergency braking. Your ABS system will no longer work as designed as well.

Please, whatever you do, do not mismatch your brake calipers on one axle.

x2

dknight3
01-23-2008, 03:19 PM
i would go and return the caliper and just get a remanufactured unit at the auto parts store.

to get that dual piston caliper to even work, you would need new pads and rotors since its different for the dual piston calipers
different rotors? really?? i thought they were the same size.

WarmAndSCSI
01-23-2008, 03:22 PM

Nope. The 1999-2000 dual-piston caliper rotors are actually different.

Divinity
01-23-2008, 03:23 PM

What's the size again? 294mm?

WarmAndSCSI
01-23-2008, 03:25 PM

What's the size again? 294mm?
Dunno, I think they're the same rotors as on the 3000GT SL and Diamante with dual-piston calipers. The rotor is larger than the normal single-piston rotor, that's all I know.

Flutterbyfilms
02-02-2008, 10:31 AM
How expensive might it be to switch my 01 GTZ front calipers and rotors to the 1999-2000 dual caliper setup? What would I need?

The bigger rotors
The dual piston calipers
Anything else need to be different? And are they too much bigger to where they wouldn't fit with the stock 16 alloy wheels?

I just think this would be a better braking system to have dual calipers on the front, but could I find parts from an old Galant or would I have to get Brembo, Baer or something.

Any help from anyone who has done any of this would be helpful. I need to replace my rotors no matter what in like a week when my paint job is done and I get my car back, so I need to make a decision on what I'm doing asap. Thanks!

pinoyesv6
02-02-2008, 04:51 PM
you would also need the pads for the dual piston calipers.

while you're at it, you might want to consider SS brake lines.

but yea, they still fit under the stock 16" alloy wheels. actually, they fit in the stock 15" wheels too.

wright06jhs
02-02-2008, 07:08 PM
if anyone needs 1 passenger side dual piston caliper i got one...$20