PDA

View Full Version : Bodyshop price..If this normal?

IceDouTGaLanT
01-25-2008, 07:46 PM
hey guys, well since i went to the maaco today to place my order for the front bumper of my legacy, i decided to take all my jdm parts to get a price quote for my galant..is this figure what some of u guys paid??

i got qouted 4,200

2 Tone, Black/Gold bottom...the color code is on the DL :twisted:
All Dents/Dings removed on door
All Dents on roof removed
Dent in Rear Bottom Qauter panel removed
Scrapes in Rear bumper filled
JDM sides installed
JDM flares installed
All door jam 2 toned also
Trunk/Engine bay Top half
3 Coats of clear
then some Dupont Glamous clear And polish Uppers which is $800 alone

So to brake it down...
Paint:$2,519
Surface Recon:$150
Materials & Supply:$420
Body Labor:$1050

ASTIG
01-25-2008, 08:35 PM
that's a fair price for the amount of work done.

fatal1
01-25-2008, 08:58 PM
definatelly fair especially for a full color change...hope you checked the history at that maaco though

IceDouTGaLanT
01-25-2008, 09:06 PM
yea i been getting all my stuff painted their, along with few of my friends cars. Since maacos are owned independently some shops are better then others..

GUTTAZMITZ
01-25-2008, 10:08 PM
man thats wussup! 4200 really don't sound that steep for all that's gettin done but if you were down in GA where i'm at, I got a guy that could probably cut it in half.. can't wait to see the finished product though homie!!

IceDouTGaLanT
01-25-2008, 10:12 PM
^ honestly man after seening ur car, it really motivated me to get her painted lol..So how about u throw me some $$$ hahha

VegasMatt
01-25-2008, 10:19 PM
I would agree, not bad, I paid under that for my color change but it seems you are getting a bit more done so I would say your quote is pretty good. Make sure it comes with a warranty for paint fade etc.

Reelax
01-25-2008, 10:22 PM
i paid a little more even with "hook up" price, so that seems very fair.

IceDouTGaLanT
01-25-2008, 10:30 PM
^ you i understand you had that rear molded which looks like it cost a pretty penny, the warrany is 5 years..but since im getting that 800$ clear its going to be another 2..And After i Paint the car, shes pretty much done..Plus its time for me to move onto a new project and keep her weekend/Sunny days..Im going to get couple more quotes locally, hopefully 2-3 months ill have the 4K, lol maybe this recession talk gets me a better deal :lol:

WarmAndSCSI
01-25-2008, 10:40 PM
It's a good price in it's own right, but you can find much better deals. Several of you have seen my $800 job in person, and so long as it holds up, it was a helluva deal for body filling/smoothing, prep/sanding, Spies Hecker metallic basecoat, Spies Hecker clearcoat, colorsanding, and polish/buff. I think you could find a similar deal if you look hard enough. Try some smaller shops that do custom paint work on custom rods and muscle cars.

And, I'll try to explain the $800. It was an extra $800 on top of my body repair (which was a major repair that included a lot of painting any way). So I figure it would have been $1600 alone, tops.

RAZ_76
01-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Thats cheap actually for all that work, good price.

IceDouTGaLanT
01-30-2008, 05:20 PM
I had to go back to the shop since my legacy bumper came in, and I had to give them the fogs. I thought hard about my bottom color which was going to be the gold on the 2008 ls460 but to get the engine bay the same color the motor would have to be pulled. So Im just going with the factory color on the bottom with the black uptop. Going to cost 3,500 now. :D

Reelax
01-31-2008, 04:29 AM
I had to go back to the shop since my legacy bumper came in, and I had to give them the fogs. I thought hard about my bottom color which was going to be the gold on the 2008 ls460 but to get the engine bay the same color the motor would have to be pulled. So Im just going with the factory color on the bottom with the black uptop. Going to cost 3,500 now. :D

i think u should color match the wheels while ur at it... that would be nice!

Danger DANJ
01-31-2008, 01:11 PM

i think u should color match the wheels while ur at it... that would be nice!
Hell yeah! Bodega Beige them rims.!

Back when I had work done on my car, it ran me $4,500. I had some damage to the passenger fender, headlight and engine bay to fix from a minor disagreement with a guard rail. I supplied the headlight and fender myself, so that wasn't included in the price. I also had my JDM bumpers, side skirts and flares painted and installed as well as had my front corner lips custom fitted to the bumper. Oh yeah, I had a custom crash bar made as well. So, yeah, I'd say you are getting a good price, especially if you are getting the entire car repainted.

IceDouTGaLanT
01-31-2008, 01:31 PM
yea im going to paint match the wheels, kind of feel bad painting them since i paid 3K :cry: but i will, im no sure gloss black or the gold, black is kind of played out now, but the beige would be different..I really wanted to swap colors, but its not worth it, since im going to be getting a new car after i graduate, so the galant will be my fun car..

Reelax
01-31-2008, 01:35 PM
yea im going to paint match the wheels, kind of feel bad painting them since i paid 3K :cry: but i will, im no sure gloss black or the gold, black is kind of played out now, but the beige would be different..I really wanted to swap colors, but its not worth it, since im going to be getting a new car after i graduate, so the galant will be my fun car..

no not black... bodega beige! those would be VERY exclusive rims if you did that!

Danger DANJ
01-31-2008, 02:06 PM

no not black... bodega beige! those would be VERY exclusive rims if you did that!
Seriously. I had planned on doing it to my Rota's but I can't even afford to get my new JDM parts painted.

dronesurfboards
01-31-2008, 03:23 PM
bodega beige would be nice bro. Black was played out a long time ago and gold is going that way too. Im kinda curious how its gonna look like now.

djflex167
02-01-2008, 09:55 AM
i gotta say thats a very good price you are getting, but believe it or not, there is a shop here in the bronx by bruckner expressway, that could do all that for like 2500 to 3300.

QUeEnSNY12
02-02-2008, 08:05 PM
thats actually a pretty good price for all the work ur getting done bro

IceDouTGaLanT
05-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Well I went into three different shops today and got few more quotes. I decided not to do a color swap, frankly i dont want to spend too much since im trying to get into a new car next year. And i just want the car to be 1 color and look decent. So Factory color on bottom half, top half Same chrysler aspin black.

Shop1: $3500
Dents removed from hood,doors, quarter panels
JDM Bumper/Sides re finished from scratches
2 Tone, Black top factory color bottom
Fender Flares, Sides everything put on
lifetime warranty on paint
Turn around time 4-5 weeks

Shop2: 4,100K
Same as above in work
1 Month- Month and 2 weeks

Shop3: 2800$
Same as above in work
1 Week

Now shop 2, is over priced maybe because they work on very high end cars, their hourly rate is more. Shop 1 seems like where im going, nice big shop, i seen few cars they painted i didnt see anything wrong. shop 3 im 50/50 on, the guy did tons of tuner cars, he has few in car magazines and also some i seen local. But i dont think you can pull a great paint job in 1 week maybe im wrong. hes shop is very small but the pictures look good of the cars he did. What do u guys think 1 week job thats not common right??

seth98esT
05-21-2008, 02:20 PM
If he only had your car to work on, no other customer cars, I dont think a 1 week turn around is a tough tassk. Especially if he has a few guys working with him.

IceDouTGaLanT
05-21-2008, 02:23 PM
yea he said he wasn't busy since the holiday, i just never knew/herd getting your car done in 1 week..im just researching honda forums n other forums with members who might of used any of these spots in the meantime

Stewi
05-21-2008, 03:39 PM
I work with body shops for insurance claims. I had a shop that wasnt busy repair a black benz that was keyed on every panel of the car in 4 days. It pretty much takes a half day to disassemble it all, 1 day for the body work, 1/2 day for paint, and a 1/2 day to reassemble and a 1/2 day to polish and detail it. If you have a few guys working on a car it goes by really really fast.

ericbla03
05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
id be worried about a 1 week turnaround time.

One very important thing is if the shop is a "production" shop, or a "quality" shop.. Of course no shop is going to say that they aren't a quality shop, but see if you can get them to tell you if their technicians are paid on commision or a flat hourly rate.

If they are paid on commision, it is a production shop. They make their money on volume. They want to get as many cars in and out as fast as possible. If the insurance company will pay the technician for 1 hour of work, and he can complete the task in 20 minutes, he still gets paid for 1 hour. If a technician can get paid for 80 hours in a 40 hour work week by taking shortcuts, thats what will happen, and it does. This will be at least 80% of the shops in most areas. Their work will look good right after it comes out of the shop, but look at it 1-2 years later and it will be a different story (dieback, sand scratches coming through, bondo swelling/shrinking, possibly rust further down the road).

If you are lucky enough to find a shop that pays their technicians a flat hourly rate, this is a "quality" shop. this is a much more slow paced shop, and they will take the time to do it right. A technician has no incentive to bust his ass and take a bunch of shortcuts like a commission paid technician would. He gets paid the same no matter how long it takes to get the jo done. But usually you may have to pay more for this type of work . These are usually smaller shops that dont advertise very much. Almost all their business comes from return customers and word of mouth.

You may have to be sneaky about it... call and act like you're interested in a job, and ask if they pay on commision , or if they pay a flat hourly rate.

9G
05-21-2008, 07:09 PM
or be like me, im going to maaco. psych

Jeffylou87
05-21-2008, 08:18 PM
I paid 3200 for the same stuff that you're getting done.. Except the jambs and super expensive clear coating..

IceDouTGaLanT
05-21-2008, 08:52 PM
thanks eric, i will give the one place a call and see what type of shop they are. i think im going to stay away from the 3rd shop, i found some reviews on him 3rd shop on other forums, they said its good work little over spray here n their nothing big, but then 1 other user stated they overcharged and had to sue the owner, along with 2 other friends who had bad experiences. I got recommended two other shops, ill check them out before going into work.

IceDouTGaLanT
05-22-2008, 11:12 PM
These are the two ideas i have which do you guys like? Astig gave me permission to use his pics, cant get my bogada beige so that yellow/whitish will do.

Stopped at top body line..
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll3/lexani18zz/Picture1.png

Stopped at door handle line..
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll3/lexani18zz/Picture2.png

spdracr
05-22-2008, 11:16 PM
i already told u im going with the body lines cuz it looks much better so u should do that as well

ASTIG
05-23-2008, 12:02 AM
that's a sweet looking ride. i lile the 1st photo

qnz
05-23-2008, 08:26 AM
top photo

pinoyesv6
05-23-2008, 08:31 AM
top photo

Da_silvagride
05-23-2008, 09:32 AM
the 1st pic bro.

jamario
05-25-2008, 12:47 PM
where can i get the custom headlights from??? help!!!!!!!!!!!

IceDouTGaLanT
05-25-2008, 02:45 PM
search, theirs plenty of info on the heads.

RAZ_76
05-25-2008, 03:23 PM
First pic for me aswell.

2nerGalant03
05-27-2008, 07:00 PM
I know the MAACO in my area was gonna charge me 1200 two tone black and silver with a five day turn around but I decided to go with this guy who does custom paint jobs and he said 2k