PDA

View Full Version : water pump leak

bigboy36647
01-31-2008, 06:48 PM
I was driving to my job interview and my water pump started leaking. It looks like I have a leak where the o ring is. I changed the pump with my stepdad's help about 8 months ago, so its good. I bumped the car slowly home adding water every 2 miles or so. I want to replace this myself, but I do not have the tools to do so. So I guess what I am asking is, what could I do as a temp fix for about a week? Or can I replace the o ring without taking off the water pump, which I seriously doubt? I bought some liquid gasket to put around the pump where the coolant pipe connects to the pump as a temp fix, but I don't know if that would be a bad idea. Just give me a little input on what direction I should take until next week when she goes to the shop.

bronxbombr
02-01-2008, 02:54 AM
Water Pump=Timing Belt= more than just changing an O-ring. In the shops even with your own parts they charge you up to $350 to do it.

jimmy_o2
02-01-2008, 03:02 AM
dont do the temp leak fix fix it right take the bus if u have too but dont do that fix it the right way

bigboy36647
02-01-2008, 06:31 AM
So ultimately, I should replace the pump and timing belt to make it worth my while. The pump is still under warranty so I could take it back to autozone. That was my option anyway, since I know whats involved in taking the pump off. Why not replace everything while they're down there? Also whats the labor on a motor swap? I won't be able to fix until my taxes come, so should I consider that as well? I have been wanting to do it, but didn't have the funds until now.

laxinwarrior
02-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Fix your current problem and then go from there. If you were ready for a swap you would know everything involved in it and how much time/money/labor is involved.

bigboy36647
02-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Sorry to bother you guys again. I was able to go outside and look at my problem more in depth and found that my pump is not leaking but it appears to be coming from my block and saw it was a freeze plug. I found a pic of another 4G64 block to illustrate where my block is leaking from. It is the third from the left on the exhuast manifold side. I read about doing it myself and feel that I can do it. This is just new to me since I only read up on most things once they happen to my galant. It appears to be minor, but major things never look difficult. I appreciate any information on what steps to take to repair this. Thanks.

tom04841
02-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Its gonna be a PITA since it is on the back side of the block