PDA

View Full Version : kicker not kickin

galantgtz36
02-02-2008, 03:24 PM
im sorry to start a new thread onthis but i really need help so plz..

i got a kicker zx1000 powering a 12inch L7(2ohm)

i put the gain and bass boost all the way up and it's not bangin hard, like you dont feel the bass the way you should for this setup inside the car. my mirrors barely move so u kno its weak. i got it professionally installed at cartronics so im guessin everything is hooked up rite.. Could it be the sub is jus messed up ( i read somehwere kicker L7's have high failure rate due to square design ). I've seen and heard just one L7 on a kicker zx750 bangin way harder than my shit.

Any suggestions please would be great. thanks alot.

fatal1
02-02-2008, 04:05 PM
adjust the settings on your headunit...check the wiring.... may be bridged for low ohm (although would still bang relatively hard)
look on the rockfordfosgate site for wiring scematics on how to wire it at a low ohm
for instance you may have heard a dual 2ohm in th other car bridged to 1 therefore is getting more watts from the amp the full 1000...your sub may only be drawing for example 250 if your wired at 4 ohm (most shops bridge to 4 or 8 for saefety of the sub)

also that gain knob = death to the sub definately turn it down before you do any more harm to it, the gain isnt a bass boost per say

galantgtz36
02-02-2008, 06:15 PM
aw i c. but if i have the 2 ohm sub shouldnt it be automatically wired at 2 ohms? and also is the kicker zx1000 stable at 1 ohm. i've read its not. if i put the gain down u feel no bass. im screwed i'll probably start fresh and buy a whole other set up like mtx or jl.

galantgtz36
02-02-2008, 06:36 PM
ok i have the dvc 2 ohm L7 12". You cannot wire the dual 2 ohm at 2 ohms..only 4 ohms or 1 ohm....correct? If thats true then im only gettin 500 watts which is why im not gettin good bass. So if i get the DVC 4 ohms L7..then i can wire it down to 2 ohms..and get the full 1000 watts...correct???

Serstylz2
02-02-2008, 07:50 PM
ok i have the dvc 2 ohm L7 12". You cannot wire the dual 2 ohm at 2 ohms..only 4 ohms or 1 ohm....correct? If thats true then im only gettin 500 watts which is why im not gettin good bass. So if i get the DVC 4 ohms L7..then i can wire it down to 2 ohms..and get the full 1000 watts...correct???

Correct, this is probably how it's wired since the professional shops rarely wire down to 1 ohm:

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1DVC_2-ohm_mono.jpg

It's a 2 ohm stable amp, so ditch the sub for the dual 4 ohm version and wire like so:

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

But even at 4 ohms w/ that amp and sub combo you should be getting some decent bass.. check the headunit to see if there's a separate sub setting... what kind of headunit do you have?

galantgtz36
02-02-2008, 08:09 PM
i have a shitty headunit.. Dual xdmr7700. no preamp outputs u cant control the sub. but still i think i needa get the Dual 4 ohm so i can wire it to 2 ohm to get the full power.

At cartronics, the dude who installed said if i had the dvc 4 ohm sub i would blow the kicker zx1000..is that tru?

fliegendaffe
02-02-2008, 08:51 PM
im sorry to start a new thread onthis but i really need help so plz..

i got a kicker zx1000 powering a 12inch L7(2ohm)

i put the gain and bass boost all the way up and it's not bangin hard, like you dont feel the bass the way you should for this setup inside the car. my mirrors barely move so u kno its weak. i got it professionally installed at cartronics so im guessin everything is hooked up rite.. Could it be the sub is jus messed up ( i read somehwere kicker L7's have high failure rate due to square design ). I've seen and heard just one L7 on a kicker zx750 bangin way harder than my shit.

Any suggestions please would be great. thanks alot.

your mirrors not moving means shit about if it is hitting hard or not. if anything on your car is moving when your system hits, that means you're losing power in your system. you probably have your gain/bass boost way to high and it's cancelling out or over powering the system. also, if you have one, take a DMM (digital mutlimeter) and check the ground of your amp.

fliegendaffe
02-02-2008, 08:54 PM
adjust the settings on your headunit...check the wiring.... may be bridged for low ohm (although would still bang relatively hard)
look on the rockfordfosgate site for wiring scematics on how to wire it at a low ohm
for instance you may have heard a dual 2ohm in th other car bridged to 1 therefore is getting more watts from the amp the full 1000...your sub may only be drawing for example 250 if your wired at 4 ohm (most shops bridge to 4 or 8 for saefety of the sub)

also that gain knob = death to the sub definately turn it down before you do any more harm to it, the gain isnt a bass boost per say

if the system is briged it would be hitting harder. the lower the ohms, the more power. thus bridged hits hard.

second, a dual 2 ohm sub, would be .5 ohm, not 1 ohm.

third, it depends on the class of your amp on how many watt output

fliegendaffe
02-02-2008, 08:57 PM
aw i c. but if i have the 2 ohm sub shouldnt it be automatically wired at 2 ohms? and also is the kicker zx1000 stable at 1 ohm. i've read its not. if i put the gain down u feel no bass. im screwed i'll probably start fresh and buy a whole other set up like mtx or jl.

a dual voice coil sub will never EVER be what it says it will be, you will either have a 4 or 1 ohm load with a dual 2ohm sub by itself. if you have 2, then you have the options of .5 ohm, 1 ohm (one a 2-channel amp unbridged), and 8 ohm.

what is the stats for your amp? what class is it? the gain means shit for your bass dude.

fliegendaffe
02-02-2008, 08:58 PM

false. the lower the ohms, the higher the watts.

fliegendaffe
02-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Correct, this is probably how it's wired since the professional shops rarely wire down to 1 ohm:

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1DVC_2-ohm_mono.jpg

It's a 2 ohm stable amp, so ditch the sub for the dual 4 ohm version and wire like so:

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

But even at 4 ohms w/ that amp and sub combo you should be getting some decent bass.. check the headunit to see if there's a separate sub setting... what kind of headunit do you have?

these diagrams are incorrect. you have either a choice of 8ohm or 2 ohm with a DVC 4ohm sub. so the first pics is 8 ohm, the second is 2 ohm.

fliegendaffe
02-02-2008, 09:01 PM
i have a shitty headunit.. Dual xdmr7700. no preamp outputs u cant control the sub. but still i think i needa get the Dual 4 ohm so i can wire it to 2 ohm to get the full power.

At cartronics, the dude who installed said if i had the dvc 4 ohm sub i would blow the kicker zx1000..is that tru?

you will never blow anything if it is wired correctly.

galantgtz36
02-02-2008, 09:33 PM
a dual voice coil sub will never EVER be what it says it will be, you will either have a 4 or 1 ohm load with a dual 2ohm sub by itself. if you have 2, then you have the options of .5 ohm, 1 ohm (one a 2-channel amp unbridged), and 8 ohm.

what is the stats for your amp? what class is it? the gain means shit for your bass dude.

I have the Kicker Zx1000.1 amp. Class D

fliegendaffe
02-02-2008, 09:40 PM
I have the Kicker Zx1000.1 amp. Class D

no, your mono channel amp is not good for .5 or even 1 ohm. how many fuses and what size are the fuses in your amp?

galantgtz36
02-02-2008, 09:54 PM
false. the lower the ohms, the higher the watts.

no wut im saying is, i cannot get a 2 ohm load on the amp with the DVC 2 ohm L7. I need to get the DVC 4 ohm L7 so i can wire it to a 2 ohm load. ....correct??

galantgtz36
02-02-2008, 09:54 PM
no, your mono channel amp is not good for .5 or even 1 ohm. how many fuses and what size are the fuses in your amp?

it came wit one..100A fuse

fliegendaffe
02-02-2008, 10:01 PM
basically what's happening is you are over loading your amp

fliegendaffe
02-02-2008, 10:04 PM
no wut im saying is, i cannot get a 2 ohm load on the amp with the DVC 2 ohm L7. I need to get the DVC 4 ohm L7 so i can wire it to a 2 ohm load. ....correct??

that would be correct and also with DVC you theoretically get 4x the wattage out of that speaker but doesn't draw 4x the power from your amp.

galantgtz36
02-02-2008, 10:13 PM
that would be correct and also with DVC you theoretically get 4x the wattage out of that speaker but doesn't draw 4x the power from your amp.

Ok so i can get the DVC 4 ohm L7 and i'll be good with more power right? also how am i overloadin the amp?

fliegendaffe
02-02-2008, 10:19 PM
your amp is good down to 2 ohm....your current sub is running .5 ohm, thus overloading. understand?

if you get the DVC 4 ohm and wire it for parallel, then you'll be at 2 ohm and be golden. and that is only if you are running 1 sub.

galantgtz36
02-02-2008, 10:22 PM
your amp is good down to 2 ohm....your current sub is running .5 ohm, thus overloading. understand?

if you get the DVC 4 ohm and wire it for parallel, then you'll be at 2 ohm and be golden. and that is only if you are running 1 sub.

but if it was at .5 ohms wouldnt it be hittin harder.. ( lower the ohm, the more power). but anyway man thanx u've helped out alot. Ima get the dvc 4 ohm and get this bass on and poppin.

fliegendaffe
02-02-2008, 10:27 PM
that would be correct if you amp was capable of it.

nycking23
02-02-2008, 11:12 PM

a dual-2 ohm sub, like the one he has now, can either be wired to 1 ohm or 4 ohm, so i dont know where your getting .5 ohm from. if he had 2 of em i would agree, but he simply doesn't have a dual 2 ohm sub wired to .5 ohm

to the thread starter, your best bet would be to get a dual 4 ohm sub and wire it like serstylz said. also, check all your connections and i would seriously think about ditching your current headunit if it doesn't even have pre-outs

fliegendaffe
02-02-2008, 11:35 PM
a dual-2 ohm sub, like the one he has now, can either be wired to 1 ohm or 4 ohm, so i dont know where your getting .5 ohm from. if he had 2 of em i would agree, but he simply doesn't have a dual 2 ohm sub wired to .5 ohm

to the thread starter, your best bet would be to get a dual 4 ohm sub and wire it like serstylz said. also, check all your connections and i would seriously think about ditching your current headunit if it doesn't even have pre-outs

sorry, got 2 of my posts mixed up. i put in .5 when i was talking about 2 subs.

and to your comment to the thread starter, the #'s on there aren't correct.

nycking23
02-03-2008, 12:23 AM
sorry, got 2 of my posts mixed up. i put in .5 when i was talking about 2 subs.

and to your comment to the thread starter, the #'s on there aren't correct.

what do you mean the numbers aren't correct? im assuming you mean that the l7 is rated at 750 and at 2 ohm, the amp will push 1000, but the l7s are built pretty good and should be able to take a little extra, especially if he is careful and sets his gains correctly

Serstylz2
02-03-2008, 12:49 AM
these diagrams are incorrect. you have either a choice of 8ohm or 2 ohm with a DVC 4ohm sub. so the first pics is 8 ohm, the second is 2 ohm.

The diagram is NOT incorrect; if you look in the diagram its the wiring for a DVC 2 ohm sub (aka how he has it wired now)

fliegendaffe
02-03-2008, 01:36 AM
The diagram is NOT incorrect; if you look in the diagram its the wiring for a DVC 2 ohm sub (aka how he has it wired now)

well so f'n sorry i didn't see that i just saw the 1 parallel wiring and 1 series wiring so i assumed.

fliegendaffe
02-03-2008, 01:37 AM
what do you mean the numbers aren't correct? im assuming you mean that the l7 is rated at 750 and at 2 ohm, the amp will push 1000, but the l7s are built pretty good and should be able to take a little extra, especially if he is careful and sets his gains correctly

i was talking about his current amp and sub. dee dee dee

Serstylz2
02-03-2008, 10:50 AM
well so f'n sorry i didn't see that i just saw the 1 parallel wiring and 1 series wiring so i assumed.

Just trying to help the OP out, didn't want him having incorrect info.