PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt Alignment

Chemibear
12-31-2002, 06:09 PM
I had to replace the water pump on my 97G, and like a dumbass, I didn't set to TDC before removing the timing belt. Can anyone help me with proper alignment to install a new belt? -- Also, what is the small belt for (oil pump maybe?) and should I replace that too as long as I'm there?

THANKS, SKIP

manybrews
01-01-2003, 04:01 PM
this is a very complicated job, which i dont recommend for anyone that isnt familiar with mitsus.
first, these are interference engines. if you rotate the crank without having a t-belt on it, you may well bend valves.
second, the oil pump drive gear (NOT the little belt) actually has a 2 to 1 reduction. just because the marks are lined up does NOT mean its properly timed. this particular sprocket also drives a balance shaft, and if its not timed correctly will actually amplify vibration rather than eliminate it. you need to remove a plug on the back of the engine to verify that the balance shaft is at the bottom of its bore.
third, you must absolutly replace the little belt. i cant tell you how many engines ive seen ruined from the little belt breaking and then wrapping around the crank sprocket, thereby tossing the main belt off time.

really, this is not something that can be taught online.