PDA

View Full Version : Prroblem with speedhut UPGRADED 2 color Inverter

rez887
02-07-2008, 12:52 PM
I got the UPGRADED 2 color Inverter, installed two weeks ago and everything was good till yesterday that my S7 gauges became very dim and its even hard to read the numbers at night but the lights inside of the gauge are still on but very dim (I'm not talking about the needles), do you think its because of bad inverter?

mrjaydeeone
02-07-2008, 09:00 PM
hmm not really sure. No one had any problems with the upgraded inverters I sold in that group buy a few years back. Maybe you got a bad one, see if you can return it for another

njjfudge
02-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Where are you getting power from?

G-spot
02-07-2008, 09:28 PM
assume it's from the dimmer switch

rez887
02-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Where are you getting power from?
It gets its power from dimmer but it doesn't have anything to do with the dimmer switch, I already turned the switch back and forth and no difference!

njjfudge
02-07-2008, 09:32 PM
assume it's from the dimmer switch

If so you might need to try getting power from another location. I don't think the dimmer switch can keep supplying enough power.

rez887
02-07-2008, 09:37 PM
If so you might need to try getting power from another location. I don't think the dimmer switch can keep supplying enough power.

Like where?

SkylineG1
02-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Pics?

njjfudge
02-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Like where?

LOL not really sure, I need to do mine too. I have the same inverter and sometimes it seems like it is not getting the power it should. You might want to try where the radio gets power.

mrjaydeeone
02-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I have had mine hooked up to the dimmer switch for years. Well the upgraded inverter for like 2 years and I had a regular inverter and 2 sets of guages before that and no problems. Take the guages and the inverter and hook the inverter straight up to the battery red to pos and black to neg and make sure the inverter is working properly

4g63lover
02-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Like where?

I dunno if you want to run wires from the cluster to the 12V but try that.

I have my dash neons wired to the 12V with a switch and its a pretty good power supply.

njjfudge
02-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Pics?

This is what he is talking bout:
When I first hooked the inverter up
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/njjfudge/DSC00433.jpg
Now this is how they look most of the time
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/njjfudge/DSC01777.jpg

I will try what you said Jason, I thought about that just have not tried it yet.

G-spot
02-07-2008, 10:02 PM
I have had mine hooked up to the dimmer switch for years. Well the upgraded inverter for like 2 years and I had a regular inverter and 2 sets of guages before that and no problems. Take the guages and the inverter and hook the inverter straight up to the battery red to pos and black to neg and make sure the inverter is working properly
That's what I was thinking. This is happening to me also as well as Shortdogg2k05, I'm thinking of testing the wire to the cigarette lighter tommorow.

Lomo2117
02-08-2008, 08:42 AM
if you wire it up to 12v make sure its something thats cut off by ignition because if not theyll stay on constantly and youll be bak askin yy ur battery keeps dyin

4g63lover
02-08-2008, 08:45 AM
if you wire it up to 12v make sure its something thats cut off by ignition because if not theyll stay on constantly and youll be bak askin yy ur battery keeps dyin

nah, they shut off when the car is off. the 12V only has power if the key is at the "on" position.

As I said my dash neons are hooked up to the 12V and they shut off when the car is off. and they don't turn on 'til the key is at the "on" position.

Danger DANJ
02-08-2008, 01:11 PM
My gauges are the AC Autotechnic ones that GDI got made for us back in the day and when the original inverter finally crapped out on me, my gauges would be dim like that too, but eventually they would go out all together and then come back on again. Anyway, it sounds like a problem with the inverter to me.

Fishboy55
02-08-2008, 06:20 PM
My gauges are the AC Autotechnic ones that GDI got made for us back in the day and when the original inverter finally crapped out on me, my gauges would be dim like that too, but eventually they would go out all together and then come back on again. Anyway, it sounds like a problem with the inverter to me.
David's right. The inverter is going bad. I also have the original AC Autotechnica gauges (gotta love us OG's) and my inverter is having a frequency drift issue. So my gauges will start out blue and gradually change to blue/green after an hour or so. I'm on my second inverter in seven years with these gauges. The one that came with the S7 gauges I bought (and long ago sold) crapped out in two weeks, so your problem isn't unusual.