PDA

View Full Version : Newb wantin some cheap horspower gains

sailordude74
02-08-2008, 01:35 PM
ok guys, i just got a 2004 galant with the 3.8 v6. I have always been a truck guy, i had a suburban with some mods but now i want to mod my 9 g. This car was passed down to me, it has 78,000 miles but runs flawlessly. Anyways, i see alot of people on here talking about just completely taking off the muffler, and like its an easy thing to do. does it just unbolt and slide off or do i have to cut it off? also, any mpg loss? or is it ridiculously loud? i can handle loud, had a 5.7 with flowmaster and no cats. but never heard a v6 straight piped

sailordude74
02-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Also, i know im new to the whole import scene, and especially with a car that is not known to be made to go too fast.. but anyone ever turbo the v6? or super charge it? i feel like a run mid to low 15 s stock, and i saw some guys on here runnin mid 14 with tune and intake. but i know these engines are capable of much more with some customizing.. or at least i hope....

quicksilver22
02-08-2008, 02:05 PM
ok. first off.... welcome

second off... this must be your first forum, so use the search feature, look in the members pics section, read through the performance sections, hell, go to cardomain and look at some things

cheap horsepower??? spray.

VegasMatt
02-08-2008, 02:07 PM
I havent kept up with Ripp products and how reliable they are for the 9g Galant/4g Eclipses but maybe check out their site. www.rippmods.com If you go FI youre going to be paying some cash though and will not be cheap HP. Good luck.

DOHCstunr
02-08-2008, 02:24 PM
first off. only race downhill. you'll definatly get an advantage.

2nd. you want to talk to krazienluv. he has a pretty well modded 9g.
they make headers, intake, there are exhausts. suspension mods like coilovers or springs/shocks.
ecu flashes.

there are a lot of upgrades for your ride. but as of yet i haven't seen a bolt on, galant specific turbo kit for the 9g.

but to sum it all up,

anything that will bolt onto a 4g eclipse v6, will bolt on to your 9g v6(with little or no modification.

krazienluv10
02-08-2008, 02:27 PM
what exactly are you looking for... we have pretty much all the basic stuff for adding hp.
Ripp has actually broken 400 hp on a SDS like 2 months ago, an enormous amout of hp for a FWD... pretty much anything you need can come off a 4g eclipse...headers n intake for example... then you can get a custom catback... some tuning perhaps??

im somewhere in the mid 14's and saving up for some tunning... let us know what exactly your looking and well try our best to help

sailordude74
02-08-2008, 02:28 PM
good stuff thanks guys!

sailordude74
02-08-2008, 02:59 PM
and i just popped the hood for the first time.. i think my box that holds my air filter is broken from the bottom... it wont shut all the way. anyone had this happen to them?

criz067
02-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Just find out where the break/problem is first...then fix that...it shouldnt take too long to figure it out.

dknight3
02-08-2008, 03:07 PM
just get a short ram intake, problem solved! lol
by the way if you need more information you can find it at club4g.org, and club9g.com

krazienluv10
02-08-2008, 04:25 PM
maybe its just not aligned... move it around a little or just buy a fujita and problem solved

9G
02-08-2008, 04:56 PM
that thing is tricky. good luck

DPGC44
03-22-2008, 02:19 PM
what exactly are you looking for... we have pretty much all the basic stuff for adding hp.
Ripp has actually broken 400 hp on a SDS like 2 months ago, an enormous amout of hp for a FWD... pretty much anything you need can come off a 4g eclipse...headers n intake for example... then you can get a custom catback... some tuning perhaps??

im somewhere in the mid 14's and saving up for some tunning... let us know what exactly your looking and well try our best to help

I just noticed you lived up in fontucky..lol Nice ride though dude! I am getting my 04 Galant LS 26,XXX on it. I was planning on just doing springs, 18" rims and sounds.. just a cruiser.. I have my civic for ripping..lol But the 19"'s are clean on your 9G.. How does it drive?

4-G-rim
03-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Welcome.

Don't cut off your muffler...it will annoyingly be loud and you will hurt engine performance since you are eliminating backpressure needed for a N/A motor. Invest on gettting a catback exhaust or at least getting a good quality muffler and weld it to the existing exhaust.

RRE (Road Race Engineering) makes several parts for the 3.8 V6 and suspension parts for the 4g Eclipse will should work on your 9g Galant since ALL eclipse generations were based on Galant chassis. The parts aren't cheap though..but its quality and proven to make power. RRE is a reputable company that has been making and selling parts for DSM/Mitsubishi for years and works closely with Mitsubishi North America with prototype vehicle parts.

krazienluv10
03-22-2008, 09:58 PM
lol how did you know i live in fontana? the 19's ride really well with the works springs... nothing to complain about

edit: nm saw it on my cardomain...

samuelg35
06-22-2008, 06:19 PM
i took off the muffler and the whole cat,resonator. it sounded like a 60s or 70 v8 camero or something pretty nice but load when u hit 2500 rpm