PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Clear your corners! (now with pics!)

seth98esT
01-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Required tools:

Heat Gun or Blow Dryer (I use a blow dryer) Pair of Gloves 10 Zip Ties (not really necessary if u know what u doing) Silicone Sealant Needle-Nose Pliers Flat blade Screwdriver Phillips Head Screwdriver 10mm Socket Wrench 12mm Socket Wrench (to remove the bumper if u choose)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1 (u could jack up the car and remove the wheels, but u dont have to) Remove the fender covers (or just bend it back)

Step 2 using a 10mm with a long extension, remove the bolt that connects the bumper to the fender (it is all the way towards the front of the car, only access is through the fender covers)

Step 3 Remove the bolt that connects the bumper to the fender right at the wheel well

Step 4 Remove all clips and bolts under the car that hold the bottom bumper lip

Step 5 remove Grilles (94/96 - there are 2 screws per grille) (97/98 - there are 3 clips per each grille which have to be removed from the inside)

Step 6 (94/96) There are 2 10 mm bolts that hold the bumper to the t-bar behind the grilles (97/98) There are 4 bolts on the upper side that hold the top of the bumper to the header bar

Step 7 there are 4 plastic screw clips that u have to pry up using a flatblade to get the bumper shell off

step 8 Remove the bumper shell (be careful because ur signal light wires are connected there, either remove them before u take off the bumper shell or leave them on, and there is a clip in the back of the lights that u can remove)

Step 9 (optional) using a 12mm remove the 4 bolts holding the bumper onto the car (the bolts are located under the highbeam light on the bumper (if u have OEM fogs, u must remove them to take off the bottom bumper bolt))

Step 10 using a 10mm, remove the bottom 2 bolts of each headlight, the easier one is located by the horns, the harder of the 2 is located behind the bumper which makes taking off the bumper worth while

Step 11 remove all the bolts holding the tbar/header bar onto the car, there are 3 in each corner, one above the headlight (by the highbeam)

Step 12 (kinda tricky) the t-bar/headerbar makes a slight L-shaped angle behind the bolt by the highbeam light on the top of the headlight, what u have to do is kinda move the headlight out of the way so u can fit the 10mm to the bolts, there are 2 of them on each side

Step 13 Remove the T-bar/header bar slowly, cuz u can scratch ur paint at the egdes where the t-bar meets the fenders

Step 14 there is a main clip for power for the headlights, remove that and the side marker bulbs remove the headlight assembly

Step 15 Take the headlight assembly, starting with the corner remove the screw (also remove the clips that go around the headlight) and begin to heat ur headlight where the black plastic meets the clear lens (take ur time, do not rush this)

Step 16 Once the factory silicone is soft use a flat blade and begin to pry the headlight assembly apart. **note: U can pull the entire assembly apart, or u can open it only at the corner, if u pull it all the way off, u just pull the orange piece off, if u just open the corner, once it spreads there is another philips screw u need to remove, once that is out, the small corner lamp assembly will be loose

Step 17 using ur screw driver break out the orange piece and use ur flatblade to hold it so u can grab it with ur needle nose pliers, Pull the orange piece out, be careful that it doesnt break, if it breaks it'll just take that much longer

Step 18 Fit the corner lamp assembly back in place and put back the philips screw

Step 19 re-heat the factory silicone, and Fit the headlight back together, once the silicone begins to dry u will need to just apply pressure to the 2 parts to hold it tight, once it drys, take some fresh silicone and reseal the ENTIRE headlight (if u lamps fogged before, this will solve that problem)

Step 20 reconnect that outer screw to the headlamp assembly and wait about 5-10 min for the silicone to dry

Step 21 Re install headlights and get some hyper white bulbs for them corners

Step 22 Give urself a drink for ur job well done

Use this Tutorial at ur own Risk....I am not responsible for anything that happens to ur car because of this Modification

Any Questions please PM me or Email me @ [email protected] If u dont feel like doing this, I will still clear corners of $50 a piece

and one more pic by Maz!
http://mazarin.pandarage.com/boltplacement.jpghttp://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid45/pf03017b3bb4d50ee8a1a0c897af8b7f8/fcd31c25.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid45/pbeb109ce846d958d50ea60bf8f7ccd8f/fcd31adc.jpg

Revised By NycTrini

bronxbombr
01-13-2003, 01:02 AM
lol, took me awhile to notice thats my car on the far left. lol

2True
01-13-2003, 02:28 AM
Is this still valid Seth?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Any Questions please PM me or Email me @ [email protected] If u dont feel like doing this, I will still clear corners of $50 a piece Â*

</div>

Are you sure he's still down with this?

QnzMostWanted
01-29-2003, 04:35 PM
hey guys, of course i'll still do it, but thats not my email addy anymore, u can catch me at [email protected] ty

evil-G-nius
02-01-2003, 04:37 AM
yo bronxbomber! Your car and my car look almost Identical! Right down to the rims. What wheels do you have? what year is your car? Here are pics of mine... http://photos.yahoo.com/kimya_anderson ('http://photos.yahoo.com/kimya_anderson')

QnzMostWanted
02-04-2003, 08:34 AM
bronxbombr's car is a 94 ES

bronxbombr
02-13-2003, 03:46 PM
Ya mines is a 94 ES with 16 soon to be 17 or 18's P racing. Notice the hump on my hood https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

cloudkapri
03-03-2003, 06:54 AM
anybody want to do this over in like a table so that the pictures aren't blocking the text... or can somebody send me the instructions by email

[email protected]

seth98esT
03-03-2003, 08:33 PM
there i fixed it :biggrin:

if u have any questions, feel free to ask

laxattack2001
03-03-2003, 08:43 PM
what about pics of a 94-96 i need to know those bolt locations

QnzMostWanted
03-03-2003, 09:13 PM
basically all the same except by the base of the T of the TBar we have 2 bolts where the 97/98 have 4 bolts at the hoodbar

4g64terror
03-09-2003, 08:46 PM
ive been wondering..what kind of silicone is it that you use to reseal it? anyone know the name of it?would the headlight seal better if you were to scrape all the old silicone off and replace it with new?or is that too much of a bitch?

2True
03-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Any Silicon/sealer will do.

Scraping the old stuff off is a good idea, get that gunk out so that you get a better seal with the new stuff. :thumbsup:

QnzMostWanted
03-10-2003, 07:48 PM
i left the original in there and heated as i closed it up to get it sticky again, then i used clear DAP silicone and sealed them around the edges to make it air tight

BEAST
03-10-2003, 08:36 PM
Probably gonna want to use 100% silicon

Lazarus
03-10-2003, 08:53 PM
For those that did it how long did it take you from jacking hte car up to putting it back down? Took me about 8 house just to clear 2 headlights. That's Ludacris

Lazarus
03-10-2003, 08:59 PM
For those that did it how long did it take you from jacking hte car up to putting it back down? Took me about 8 house just to clear 2 headlights. That's Ludacris

QnzMostWanted
03-10-2003, 09:45 PM
1/2 hour to 45 minutes max
thats jacking up bumper drop, clear, install back, and everyhting

seth98esT
03-10-2003, 09:47 PM
you guys jack up the car? :lauging: thats 10minutes wasted right there...

Lazarus
03-11-2003, 02:29 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nyctrini)</div><div class='quotemain'>1/2 hour to 45 minutes max
thats jacking up bumper drop, clear, install back, and everyhting</div>

I feel like an ass

seth98esT
03-11-2003, 02:33 AM
First time I did it, it took me a few hours just to take off the front bumper and to get the headlights off. Ive never really timed myself clearing em cause I cleared my JDMs before I started working on the car. But it was a whole day project. Now I can get the front bumper and headlights off in like 20 minutes

QnzMostWanted
03-11-2003, 06:58 PM
actually i didnt jack up the car, only on 1 i did then i learned i didnt have to

bronxbombr
03-11-2003, 11:51 PM
tru tru :wink:

seth98esT
03-16-2003, 03:50 AM
i tried to get my jdms apart today but didnt have any luck. i threw them in the over
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid55/p8aaad27d541f3d6775cb73d5f3cb571d/fc7fa38f.jpg
for about 3 or so minutes...the black plastic around the headlight was soft, but the headlight was stuck to the housing. i tried to pry with a scredriver but it didnt budge. did i not cook them long enough? BTW, the oven door was shut, i just opened to take a pic haha

QnzMostWanted
03-16-2003, 08:56 AM
when the black got soft, u should have worked open the corner like the how u do the oem, then it all would have just came apart

seth98esT
03-16-2003, 01:12 PM
o, i thought the black part being soft was bad haha ill try it again tonight...

krazienluv10
03-21-2003, 01:31 AM
awww man u have to take out the bumper???

QnzMostWanted
03-21-2003, 08:58 AM
yup. there is no way to get the headlights out without taking off the bumper

BEAST
04-13-2003, 04:44 PM
Seth how hot was the oven?

BEAST
04-13-2003, 11:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Initial NycTrini)</div><div class='quotemain'>yup. there is no way to get the headlights out without taking off the bumper</div>
Sure there is. I did. Well I cheated though. I was at a junkyard so I just bent the fenders back and pulled the T-bar up. Front end is pretty messed up now cause of me but oh well, it's junk anyway. I finally got these things cleared, and they were a bitch to get apart. That factory sealant is horrible to work with. At first I was trying with a hairdryer so then I finally said screw this and put them in the oven at about 200 degrees or so for about 4 minutes and ripped them apart. Oh well it was worth it.

QnzMostWanted
04-20-2003, 04:07 PM
haha, well there is no way of taking the headlights out without severe damage to ur fenders https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif unless u take off the bumper

better?!?

sstriker_ccool
04-24-2003, 07:22 PM
wellz diz will really help me a lot!!!!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif ILL reply back after ill be done.. hopefully it wont take me ages to finish

CayanGalant
06-13-2003, 04:33 PM
Im a newbie, and i uderstand how to do this but is it necessary to jack the car up to do this or can it be done without?

seth98esT
06-13-2003, 04:36 PM
you can do it w/o jacking the jar up, but the first time its a bit easier to see the bolts if u jack up the car and take off the wheel, but not necasary at all https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

bronxbombr
06-15-2003, 04:55 PM
For all you Newbs out there you do know that Denver and I clear corners.
Hit us up with year of your car and location.

laxattack2001
07-17-2003, 01:41 PM
is it better to put the healight housing in the oven?

QnzMostWanted
07-17-2003, 03:27 PM
u can do it, but it doesnt make the process any easier

neXus
10-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Eh, I didnt see if this was mentioned on the first page, but instead of going through the aggravating process of dismantling your front end to clear the corners, I just took the Night Shade everyone is using on their tail lights and used it on my corners. Looks good.

josh_877
11-28-2003, 04:57 PM
so im sitting at home today and thinking there has to be an easier way to get those damn clear headlights.........so i was thinking that maybe if i get a tiny drill bit and drill from the top of the orange reflector and the bottom of the orange reflector that maybe theyll just pop out?????????? i havent tried it yet but im just wondering if u guys think itll work?????

QnzMostWanted
11-28-2003, 07:48 PM
ok heres the thing, u can release the yellow reflector without taking out the headlights, BUT how u gonna get the lens out? kinda hard to angle and break the orange out without making a mess and getting it out with teh lights on the car

Import_Beast
12-23-2003, 05:51 PM
alright back about 5 years ago when my mom first had the car she had crashed in the New jersey turnpike and the whole entire front had been smashed in , so of course the insurance took care off it and they put in a new bumber, hood, etc.to make a long story short they fixed it and today I tried to clear my corners , and it was a pain in the ass it took me about 4 hours just to clear one , and i wouldve cleared the passenger side one but i cant get to the screw under the light its a bitch, i would have to take off the entire left fender cuz the people that fixed the car put a screw in where its not suppose, any one know wat i can do or am i stuck driving around with one side cleared and the other not lol it is kinda ghetto tho https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

roseme03
01-11-2004, 12:36 AM
I'm heated as heel cause I spent 2 hours geeting out all the screws and I can't take out the bumper because I can't get those damm 4 plastic screws out, and I've treid everything that I can. Can someone please tell me how they got thiers off of thier car (mine is a 96)

DynastyofNext
09-03-2006, 01:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Qnzfinestplaya)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey guys, of course i'll still do it, but thats not my email addy anymore, u can catch me at [email protected] ty</div>

can u clear my headlights for me, and are u still chargin 50?