PDA

View Full Version : pioneer d3

galantsleeper00
02-10-2008, 10:40 AM
So i need to get a new headunit for my car. It seems like this is a great unit with naviation built in. Does anyone on here have it installed in their cars. I read some reviews on avic411. Best buy has them on sale for 699. But i cant get it down to 630 with a ipod cable. What do you guys think, should i get it or not?

qnz
02-10-2008, 11:15 AM
ebay has cheaper prices. install is simple, you can install it yourself

galantsleeper00
02-10-2008, 02:33 PM
actually they really dont have new ones with a ipod cable cheaper. Plus i want to make sure i get the warranty. Ebay isnt a authroized pioneer dealer.

Lomo2117
02-10-2008, 09:27 PM
i would never buy audio equipment from ebay...theres not manufacturers warranty with it at all....the D3 is an awesome unit i was gunna install it in my G a few months ago but i ended up not buyin it...ive installed plenty of them tho its a great unit only thing i dont like is there is no tilt to the screen but u shuldnt have a problem because out head units r mounted high in the dash

fatal1
02-10-2008, 09:54 PM
the d3 seems to be very good and its customizable which is cool too...the pioneer nav system is very user freindly and is very good as well i would reccomend the d3, only problem with it is that there is only 1 slot for cd/dvd/navi disk so you cannot run navi and have a cd on at the same time...obviously you plan on using an ipod with it so this really shouldnt be a problem and the ipod interface is also supposed to be very good as well

all in all i would say get it especially if its that reasonable of a price

fliegendaffe
02-10-2008, 11:39 PM
actually they really dont have new ones with a ipod cable cheaper. Plus i want to make sure i get the warranty. Ebay isnt a authroized pioneer dealer.

well i just bought an eclipse HU with optional navi i can install later an square trade offerend me a 3 yr warranty on it. so warranty shouldn't be an issue for you.

fliegendaffe
02-10-2008, 11:40 PM
i would never buy audio equipment from ebay...theres not manufacturers warranty with it at all....the D3 is an awesome unit i was gunna install it in my G a few months ago but i ended up not buyin it...ive installed plenty of them tho its a great unit only thing i dont like is there is no tilt to the screen but u shuldnt have a problem because out head units r mounted high in the dash

there is still manufacturers warranty on it and i don't see why you wouldn't trust it. i have been buying tons of stuff on ebay for many years now and never had one problem. you just need to know how to shop on ebay.

rez887
02-10-2008, 11:47 PM
there is still manufacturers warranty on it and i don't see why you wouldn't trust it. i have been buying tons of stuff on ebay for many years now and never had one problem. you just need to know how to shop on ebay.
Agree with him!

galantsleeper00
02-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Well i ended up getting it from bestbuy yesterday ended up costing me 650 for everything. I tried installing it but i gave up. I didnt want to mess with the gps and everything. Im still trying to figure out how to use the navigation. I seriously got ripped off on the install. I had it done at circuit city since bestbuy always seems to fuck up my cars. Cost me 160. Than i got the siruis radio adapter for it. I must say howard sterns show is funny as hell. It alot better than the dual i had 8281 that broke within a few weeks.

fliegendaffe
02-11-2008, 11:28 AM
what adaptor did you get? the one the plugs into the back of your head unit or the FM modulator hard wire?

galantsleeper00
02-11-2008, 02:08 PM
what adaptor did you get? the one the plugs into the back of your head unit or the FM modulator hard wire?

the one that plugs into the back of the unit.

fliegendaffe
02-11-2008, 02:39 PM
does it plug in like a CD changer? Into an RCA? or did it have a seperate module?

Lomo2117
02-11-2008, 03:08 PM
theres a seperate hideaway piece that needs to get wired ignition constant and ground and it also plugs straight into the rca harness of the radio i just forgot what kind of plug it has

fliegendaffe
02-11-2008, 03:29 PM
theres a seperate hideaway piece that needs to get wired ignition constant and ground and it also plugs straight into the rca harness of the radio i just forgot what kind of plug it has

well if it is like that, then it has a seperate module, and if it needs power, that means it would be hooked up to an accessory wire, not a constant power. and if is controlled through the head unit, then it isn't RCAs.

galantsleeper00
02-11-2008, 04:12 PM
hmm i have no idea i bought some type of siruis module for the pioneer.

bmxmike
02-11-2008, 04:19 PM
I thought about this unit but ended up getting the Kenwood DNX-7100 for $600. I like the Kenwood better cause it is hard drive based. With the D3 your have to use dvd roms and I would recommend buying it from best buy since if you buy on ebay and you get a older one it cost about $250 for the new updated map disk's. Thats another reason i chose kenwood. To update all you have to do is get a sd car and go to the garmin web site to update it.

Lomo2117
02-11-2008, 04:19 PM
yes my fault it jus needs ignition to turn it on and off and a ground connection...and the plug is a small clip-in plug....im multitasking at work and i didnt read wut i wrote b4 i posted lol

Lomo2117
02-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Oo and you dont have to have the nav cd in the unit the whole time to use nav its built in nav system still runs just the cds give it its full features if your going local you dont need it in

fliegendaffe
02-11-2008, 04:25 PM
yes my fault it jus needs ignition to turn it on and off and a ground connection...and the plug is a small clip-in plug....im multitasking at work and i didnt read wut i wrote b4 i posted lol

again, you mean accessory not ignition

galantsleeper00
02-11-2008, 04:42 PM
I thought about this unit but ended up getting the Kenwood DNX-7100 for $600. I like the Kenwood better cause it is hard drive based. With the D3 your have to use dvd roms and I would recommend buying it from best buy since if you buy on ebay and you get a older one it cost about $250 for the new updated map disk's. Thats another reason i chose kenwood. To update all you have to do is get a sd car and go to the garmin web site to update it.

hmm i dont think best buy had that model there. I had to get it from bestbuy, considering i knew the gm and got the unit for cost. So the cds have to be upgraded every year?

Lomo2117
02-11-2008, 04:42 PM
no i mean ignition lol theres a yellow wire and a black wire...if you connect the yellow wire to the yellow wire of the radio harness its ignition

fliegendaffe
02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
no, that's 12v constant

galantsleeper00
02-11-2008, 05:22 PM
is there a way to hotwire my playstation 2?

fliegendaffe
02-11-2008, 05:25 PM
to hot wire your playstation 2? wtf? you mean integrate your ps2? if you want to put your ps2 in your car you need an invertor

Da_silvagride
02-11-2008, 05:33 PM
any pics of the set up?

galantsleeper00
02-11-2008, 05:33 PM
to hot wire your playstation 2? wtf? you mean integrate your ps2? if you want to put your ps2 in your car you need an invertor

yea is there anyway to do it without the invertor. I have one but its way to big

Silverfoxx_GTZ
02-11-2008, 06:32 PM
yea is there anyway to do it without the invertor. I have one but its way to big

Maybe if you wanna cut the wires but I wouldn't recommend it. Surely you can pick up a single socket inverter thats much smaller and cheaper too.

fliegendaffe
02-11-2008, 07:15 PM
no there is no way of doing it without an invertor. your car is DC, your PS2 needs AC, thus why you need an invertor

bmxmike
02-11-2008, 07:49 PM
No the cd's dont have to be updated every year just if you get a set of old cd's and you travel places that were just built you have to buy updated discs or it will show you like driving in a field. And ya you dont have to have it in the whole time, but you cant change a route or anything with out putting it back in and still upgrades are expensive and theres no way to add poi