PDA

View Full Version : Behind The Gap

lonestar22
02-10-2008, 08:40 PM
i finally found out whats keeping my bumper from fitting correctly. i was tugging on it as much as possible to get everything to fit on there right and it wouldnt give no matter what. what i noticed was the bumper support was hitting a piece of the frame that the crash bar was connected to. i hammered part of it in that was bendable but the rest is pure frame. idk what to do, the only thing i can see happening is me either removing the bumper support or cutting it. i need some advice, thanks

IceDouTGaLanT
02-10-2008, 09:25 PM
hmm, when i had my vrg front end, everything fit perfect when i removed the crash bar, nothing bumped into mine...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/IcedoutGalant/Summer%20time/sidejdm.jpg

dknight3
02-10-2008, 11:06 PM
pics?

QnzMostWanted
02-10-2008, 11:06 PM
was ur car ever hit, ur the first person to say they had to do something liek that

RAZ_76
02-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Dude bring it by my house. I'll have it fixed in no time..:lol: I personally wold not remove a crash bar on a daily car, just like I would not remove air bag. I would cut it enough to fit that bumper and reinforce the crash bar another way. A small fender bender without it and you will have double the damage and cost. Just heads up not being a wienie.

G-spot
02-10-2008, 11:16 PM
True about the vrg bumpers: it wasn't designed with a crash bar in mind. The rear crash bar had to be shaved off about 80% to get it fit smoothly. Although you may feel comfortable without a crash bar, you still gotta have a point where there's some crash bar left to protect yourself.

lonestar22
02-10-2008, 11:16 PM
i think it may be the way i mounted my support bar, its the one from the USDM bumper and it doesnt line up perfectly so maybe its sideways?

G-spot
02-10-2008, 11:18 PM
you mean shave it a little from the top rather than on the sides?

lonestar22
02-10-2008, 11:20 PM
you mean shave it a little from the top rather than on the sides?

with my bumper it has to be removed completely. i dont have a crash bar

G-spot
02-10-2008, 11:23 PM
On a vrg bumper you have to remove the crash bar since it was "designed" that way. The tecs @ MMC used a small crash bar on the VR4 and up bumpers.

lonestar22
02-10-2008, 11:28 PM
yeahhh... i know

peter your confusing the hell out of me. what your sayign has nothing to do with my problem

lonestar22
03-10-2008, 03:14 PM
i finally found out why i have that gap on the passenger side. its not going anywhere and i cant believe i forgot about it. i had the same problem with my USDM bumper and its been like that since my accident i just completely forgot about it. it all made sense when i saw this pic. the guy that fixed my car told me my frame was bent, and the result was this gap in the bumper and the headlight is a little misaligned.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d175/lonestar22/Black%20Magic%20Meets%20White%20Fury/CobraandLandShark016.jpg

732Galant
03-10-2008, 03:44 PM
so you have a bent frame? Correct me if Im wrong but isn't that kind of a big deal?

lonestar22
03-10-2008, 05:10 PM
could be. i completely forgot about it. i was hit and run by a truck a few years ago and the car took a direct hit to the headlight/fender. the damage was about 6 inches from the wheel well so i guess where ever its bent isnt that critical. ive never taken that fender off because im scared i wont be able to get it fitted on as good as the shop did.

Grider
03-10-2008, 06:38 PM
I have the same exact problem. The last owner was in a accident and my front bumper has always stuck out like that. Ditto on the lights. My brothers also thinks that my frame is bent considering that the water always got in through the freakin sun roof. I ghetto sealed it though.

lonestar22
03-10-2008, 08:43 PM
alot of 8G's get water in the sunroof. as far as anything the rest of car is i think its fine since all the other panels line up perfectly and it handles and aligns just fine.

Grider
03-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Im pretty sure that my frame is bent though cuz after about 70mph the wind blast through the door seals and they not all dried or peeled off.

lonestar22
03-12-2008, 05:04 PM
whenever i go over seventy my driver door vibrates like crazy because so much air gets in

that may just be a galant thing

Distort
03-12-2008, 06:15 PM
so you have a bent frame? Correct me if Im wrong but isn't that kind of a big deal?

Not that much, we got a frame machine at school that just yanks it back out to normal size... Depends on how much it's bent.

Stewi
03-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Yeah those symptoms sound like the unibody structure is bent. I never get any types of vibrations or wind in my door, and I have taken this car to over 140MPH and never anything like that.

Grider
03-13-2008, 08:08 PM
exactly............its really freakin annoying. Ive tried putting some (filling) between the rubber seal and the door to try and thicken it so it sticks a tighter when the door is closed. It helps but I cant say that its perfect. But yea........... bent frame

Danger DANJ
03-14-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm a bit confused as to why the shops that fixed your cars didn't straighten out the frame? After my accident, I took my car to a half ass shop to save money and even they fixed the frame... what little it was bent. They even straightened out my custom crash bar so I wouldn't have to buy a new OEM one.

RAZ_76
03-14-2008, 01:11 PM
If a car has frame damage or damage to the uni body in this case. I take it and have that done before I do anything else because if I don't, I'm going to have a hell of a time trying to fit new parts on it, like fenders that wont line up right, hood, bumper lights..etc. I think they were too lazy and figured that you would not notice. Does it have clean or salvage title??

Grider
03-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Yea thats whats retarded. Carfax says it has a clean tittle besides the fact that its been rolled. I dont know which one of the last owners was the one that crashed it but he must of gotten a half as job done to save money if it doesnt show up on carfax.......................I stop putting aftermarket stuff on my car cuz lately Ive just been keeping it running. Ive already had to replace inner and outer, left and right tie rods, now I need new tires cuz the alignment was fucked up. Ow yea I need an oil change. :-P

lonestar22
03-15-2008, 02:51 PM
my car has a clean title. he just told me the frame was bent then, im sure its fixed now though

Grider
03-15-2008, 04:11 PM
iT seems like galants dont have very good structural integrity. Looks like alot of g's have got bent frames.