PDA

View Full Version : Automatic transmission - no reverse, ok forward?

erko
01-02-2003, 11:02 AM
Just bought the car a couple of month ago, with a replaced gearbox. It has thrown into neutral a couple of times and a few times not properly engaged the drive. But usually it was just fine. Suddenly the reverse is dead and it wont engage the drive forward properly (slips). This was fine after a few minutes but the reverse is still dead. Oil is a little dark but not black. Level is fine (a little too much). Repair or replace? could it be a belt that has gone bad. I cant swear that all gears forward is OK, I only drove it for a few minutes and then left it in the garage. 1993 Galant in Sweden. second latest generation (1993-96). i have found a good gearbox but for a 1997 (latest gen). Will this fit?

manybrews
01-02-2003, 10:11 PM
unplug the 4 pin connector that leads from the right front corner of the trans... it should be a pigtail that leads to the area below the airbox.
if you unplug this, you will have only 2 gears... reverse and third.
if you dont have reverse after unplugging this connector, you have a mechanical failure that requires replacement or repair.

erko
01-03-2003, 05:33 AM
so...as i dont have reverse now - only 3rd will work? Is there another plug that will remove reverse and 3rd? If there is a bad connection this would explain the problem. I cant swear the 3rd is working at the moment.
Anyway thanks, I will try it

Anyone who knows abot different trannys. I think my gearbox may be a F4A22 and I can get a very good f4A42. Possible?
Mine is a 1993 and new box from 1997 (european)

manybrews
01-03-2003, 06:57 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(erko)</div><div class='quotemain'>so...as i dont have reverse now - only 3rd will work? Is there another plug that will remove reverse and 3rd? If there is a bad connection this would explain the problem. I cant swear the 3rd is working at the moment.
Anyway thanks, I will try it</div>
when you unhook the plug i was talking about, you completely disable the electronics of the trans, putting it in fail-safe. if at that time you dont have reverse, you know with 100 percent accuracy that the trans has a mechanical failure (which is why i recommended it in the first place).
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>

Anyone who knows abot different trannys. I think my gearbox may be a F4A22 and I can get a very good f4A42. Possible?
Mine is a 1993 and new box from 1997 (european)</div>
no, its not recommended, as unless you can 100 percent garantee the internal ratios are the same (which the are probably NOT), you will have problems.

erko
01-04-2003, 05:41 AM
Ok, I get it with the electronics - thanks.

Anyway, I checked about the "new" gearbox - not possible, completely different housing.