PDA

View Full Version : 5spd swap problem

ESR2005
02-17-2008, 05:16 PM
so i talked to some mechanics today and they said the 5 spd swap wasnt possible and they also said no matter what year my G is the ecu will throw a code because the stock auto tranny ecu needs to talk to the engine ecu and tps to tell the auto tranny when to shift.... which will make the car throw a code. does anyone have any more info or can anyone that has a 5spd 8g tell me if they had any problem with thier car throwin a code......thanks also does anyone know what to do with all the left over tranny plugs?? and which wires do i have to bypass/rewire to make it all work properly.

kolio
02-17-2008, 05:38 PM
there are plenty of people who have done it.

stop being lazy and use the search feature of the forum

Stewi
02-17-2008, 05:52 PM
If you read Romans tutorial it tells you which wires to mess with to make it work right. Yes there will be check engine light unless you swap to a 3g 5 speed ECU. There is plently of info on this. Mechanics are trained to make cars work how they were supposed to after they were manufactured. You have to respect your mechanics ignorance in the sense that he is trained to make a car work as it should in stock form and with that comes alot of negativity and inside the box thinking.

laxinwarrior
02-17-2008, 06:17 PM
there are plenty of people who have done it.

stop being lazy and use the search feature of the forum

Couldn't have put it any better myself.

If you read Romans tutorial it tells you which wires to mess with to make it work right. Yes there will be check engine light unless you swap to a 3g 5 speed ECU. There is plently of info on this. Mechanics are trained to make cars work how they were supposed to after they were manufactured. You have to respect your mechanics ignorance in the sense that he is trained to make a car work as it should in stock form and with that comes alot of negativity and inside the box thinking.

Like Brian said, you need to respect what the mechanics said but also know they are not the best source for this kind of information. If you want to know about modifying your car, the people to ask are guys that work for performance shops that are used to making changes and overcoming the obstacles caused by those changes.

fatal1
02-17-2008, 06:26 PM
no no not eclipse 00 ecu...what year g do you have...i suggest you follow that tutorial the only way you can have a problem is if you have an 02 or 03...the 3g 5 spd ecu is an option but you can use the galant ecu as well...if you have an 01 then you will have to swap ecu's otherwise your fine as long as you follow the tutorial and what wires to short out

AVERAGE
02-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Fatal, I ve read his thread. But Im still stumped on how I would stop throwing codes after doing the swap. I don't know about NY but in NC,they are sticklers for stuff like this when it comes to emissions. Not trying to be spoonfed here but what did I miss?

fatal1
02-17-2008, 11:00 PM
well for you average...there is no way as of "now" for you to clear the codes considering you have one of the 02-03 ecu's...the new ecu is different then the older ones so using the method one with a 99-00 would wouldnt work those with an 01 are able to switch to the 00 ecu to work w/o code problems however they will also have to get the new immobilizer as well which would have to be programed to your key via the dealer

the 5 spd swap will obviously work and im sure there is some way to clear the codes w/ the 02 and o3 however there is no "known" fix to it as of yet so untill someone pioneers an idea and this could include yourself as well you will throw codes

you could always swap in the auto when it comes time for inspection lol if you want to do it...i know goosey tried using an eclipse manual ecu however it threw codes on his 00 but this isnt to say it may possibly work for you considering yours is different, i know he is running an evo 8 ecu at the moment but im not sure if or what codes he is throwing if at all... if your really interested in doing more performance mods im sure a standalone ecu could solve the problem but they are on the expensive side and involve a good amount of work to install and rewire the whole car etc...its a little exhuberant for a simple tranny swap although if you do plan on boost etc a standalone is the best option available really

RAZ_76
02-17-2008, 11:11 PM
I have a friend that is an excellent auto electrician, you can say he's a guru. I've already talked to him and he told me that after I finish my swap, bring the car to him along with schematics and he will fix the light issue. When I have it done I will share the fix with everyone, of course. I have some ideas on how to fix it too but I will not share them until I know they will work for me. Registration is not an issue for me, nor is the light but I like things done right.

6G72gearhead
02-18-2008, 12:28 AM
A mechanic told me that once, I did the swap and told him to lick large floppy donkey balls.

bellefontaine187
02-18-2008, 04:00 PM
A mechanic told me that once, I did the swap and told him to lick large floppy donkey balls.

lol, fuckin awesome..lol

ESR2005
02-19-2008, 06:31 PM
well my car is a 00 galant i did do tons of research on this topic and most of the tutorials arent 100% correct like for instance it doesnt say when you buy a 5spd u will need the tranny mount for that tranny cuz the auto one doesnt fit....all i wanna know is will i have a check engine light when i do the swap b/c im currently in the process of doing it.... i appreciate your info

fatal1
02-19-2008, 08:33 PM
read my post, no you will not the 00 takes to the swap very well and no additional work is needed other then what the tut says

IceDouTGaLanT
02-19-2008, 08:38 PM
tutorials arent 100% correct??

dude u must of not read gooseys tut has EVERYTHING. Im a 2000 Galant 5-speed NO SES, and i used his tutorial.

VEGASGTZ
03-01-2008, 03:46 PM
ok, i feel dumb az hell, but could anyone tell me how to find the tutorials?

spardavr4
03-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Click on Forum and then look for one that says tutorial, it isn't that hard...

mrjaydeeone
03-01-2008, 05:56 PM
ok, i feel dumb az hell, but could anyone tell me how to find the tutorials?
the one you are looking for is right here
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=16557

ESR2005
03-07-2008, 11:20 AM
i have another question for pin 7 and 8 do i have to actually cut the wires on the harness or do i just tap in to them and also for pin 9 and 10 could i just cut them and solder them together??? just wondering if cuttin the wire would make me throw a code.............almost done just need this info to finish.....man i hope it doesnt throw a code.

thanks

RAZ_76
03-07-2008, 11:23 AM
If you read that tutorial again, you will know that you DONT cut any wires, just tap them.

ESR2005
03-07-2008, 09:51 PM
ok so i finally finished my swap and when i bled the clutch and dryshift it everything works smooth until i start the car if i hold the clutch in it will start but when i let the clutch go (even though im in neutral) the car feels like it is in gear and wants to go and dies.............also when it isnt running it goes into gears fine but once i start it it wont let me shift into gear eventhough im holding in the clutch pedal.
thanks

RAZ_76
03-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Make sure you adjust the shifer links and bleed the clutch really good.

Rusty
03-07-2008, 11:20 PM
ok so i finally finished my swap and when i bled the clutch and dryshift it everything works smooth until i start the car if i hold the clutch in it will start but when i let the clutch go (even though im in neutral) the car feels like it is in gear and wants to go and dies.............also when it isnt running it goes into gears fine but once i start it it wont let me shift into gear eventhough im holding in the clutch pedal.
thanks

throw out bearing?

i know im comparing apples to oranges here, but when i replaced the tranny on my saturn i forgot the throw out bearing and it acted like you are describing...

GOOSEY2099
03-08-2008, 10:53 PM
sounds like your cables are twisted. Try leaving the car in N and pushing it a littlebit... Can you list all the parts you used in your swap, because its very difficult to diagnose this problem otherwise.

GOOSEY2099
03-08-2008, 10:54 PM
If you read that tutorial again, you will know that you DONT cut any wires, just tap them.

BTW I been cutting off that harness taping off wires 1-6 and simply twisting 9+10 together lately.

RAZ_76
03-08-2008, 10:59 PM
How do you know which is 1-6 and 9-10, are they marked??

ESR2005
03-10-2008, 06:31 PM
do i have to replace the driveshafts since i now have a 02 eclipse 5spd??.... are the auto ones diff???

beam514
03-10-2008, 07:35 PM
I think only on the V6 you have to change the passenger side axle

am i correct?

ESR2005
03-10-2008, 07:43 PM
idk because my axles look like they are stressed maybe b/c i used a 02 eclipse tranny on a 00 galant?? also i had a 97 eclipse flywheel but decided to go with a 02 eclipse one last second but i re used the 97 clutch and pressure plate on the new2002 flywheel is there any difference?? i thought they where similar....it would be great if someone could get a hold of calipso for me i live near him it would be great to tell him whats going on in person thanks

AVERAGE
03-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I ....don't think Calipso can post here anymore. Try to catch him on eclipse.org

ESR2005
03-10-2008, 07:55 PM
y cant he?

RAZ_76
03-10-2008, 08:02 PM
You can find him at Galants.org. You can use 3G flywheel with 97 clutch kit just fine. Can you take pictures of your transmission??I want to look at something, maybe the top of it.

ESR2005
03-10-2008, 08:12 PM
ok ill take some tomoro it is kind of late tell me wat u are lookin for i might b able to answer ur question

ESR2005
03-10-2008, 08:19 PM
could someone pm me there aim that has succesfully done a 5spd swap so i can consult with you when i get a prblem like this

GOOSEY2099
03-10-2008, 10:13 PM
The only reason i used a gst flywheel was because there was nothing available for the 3g platform at the time. As far as the wires go its something like this: 2 rows in the black harness, 1 row has all thin wires(1-6), 2nd row has has 2 thin/2fat wires. Fat wires are 9,10. Simple. Axels only need to be played with on a v6. All I4 models are the same.

RAZ_76
03-10-2008, 11:04 PM
So you put all the wires 1-6?? or just 1 and 6?? Cut 9+10 and wire them together. This is what I'm understanding. Appreciate your help.

WarmAndSCSI
03-10-2008, 11:14 PM
I think only on the V6 you have to change the passenger side axle

am i correct?

The axles themselves are the same as far as I know (for a 2000 or 2001, I'm certain) but you need a new intermediate shaft from a manual 6G72 Eclipse or Stratus Coupe for the passenger side. This is the shaft that goes into the differential and bolts to the back of the engine block.

GOOSEY2099
03-11-2008, 10:07 AM
look all you need is wires 7+8 and 9+10(the only 2 thickest wires) Do whatever you want with the rest on them.

RAZ_76
03-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Ok, thanks dude. I appreciate it.