PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of runflats?

qnz
02-17-2008, 07:28 PM
any tire guys want to chime in about runflats? im considering putting them on the G

9G
02-17-2008, 07:40 PM
arent they harder to mount and dissmount?

fatal1
02-17-2008, 08:26 PM
i think the concept is great but you would have to hook up a pressure sensor for the tires in order to know if one did indeed blow....other then the actual fact that you can go x amount of miles i dont know how well they perform or how long they last though?

AVERAGE
02-17-2008, 10:37 PM
The sensors are easily had. You can have them installed at your local tire place. Most of these shops including my favorite; Discount Tire, offer these and I believe install them for free upon purchase. Im not sure how much they cost,though.

RedGalant2k1
02-17-2008, 11:09 PM
The sensors are easily had. You can have them installed at your local tire place. Most of these shops including my favorite; Discount Tire, offer these and I believe install them for free upon purchase. Im not sure how much they cost,though.

You can't just buy the sensor and it work with your vehicles computer. You would need to buy a complete TPM System sensors and computer to display individual tire pressures.

Qnz,

Its a nice idea, but IMO its much more than its worth on a vehicle that never came with Tire Pressure monitoring. You are better of regularly checking your air pressure once a week.

6G72gearhead
02-18-2008, 12:30 AM
The guys you have mount your tires will love you. They might in fact come inform you of how thoughtfull you where to let them have the pleasure of having them mount those tires.

Personal opinion, they arent worth the money for me, that and they dont have sticky enough compounds or aggressive enough tread patterns, so I dont see runflats anywhere in my future.

4g63lover
02-18-2008, 12:35 AM
x2.

being a corner carver run flats are at the bottom of my list if they are at all..

not worth it to me.

6G72gearhead
02-18-2008, 12:41 AM
The other thing is I have been driving for a little over 6 years now and have yet to get a flat, I just cant fork over that much extra scroll for a lower performance tire catored to a situation I havent encountered in 6 years. I dont find it that hard to change a tire in the worst of conditions.

98GalantDriver
02-18-2008, 02:43 AM
what about those tires that dont use air ? its like a... a.... well let me get a pic...

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://hight3ch.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/MichelinTire2.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFVac__8xeubN5EVmjUt4FJH-b1YQ

ide get them if they were a bit better, last i hear it was 60MPH max :( plus idk about cornering in those... seems like it would be a bit off...

just gimmie a set of these puppies, and a rubberband :D
http://www.ministryoftech.com/images/forgiato-radurra-4.jpg

qnz
02-18-2008, 06:59 AM
Well my issue is that I have a big brake kit that is too big to fit the regular spare. If I have a flat on the front tire, I would have to remove the rear wheel to mount on the front, and then put the spare on the rear. Not to mention that my spare is about .5" smaller in diameter compared to the 19s. I would get another 19" rim to use as a spare but it doesnt fit in the trunk

98GalantDriver
02-18-2008, 09:32 AM
i wouldnt get runflats... i think you would be better off getting that goo from walmart to help with pin pricks, and just do the whole tire rotation thing if u get a flat...

ChuloMxcn
02-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Well runflats are a stiffer ride and you do have to check the pressure more often becuase the sidewalls wont bulge like a normal tire when your pressure is low. I dont think they'd really be worth it on a G. I would agree with 98GalantDriver and maybe get some of that tire filler for a flat but just be cautioned that I hear those could mess up the inner coating of your rims.

djflex167
02-18-2008, 04:55 PM
i rather stay with high performance tires instead, rather than be checking tire pressure most of the time on the runflats