PDA

View Full Version : leak in the front

99 galant
02-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Someone Please Help. look at my last few posts about what is going wrong with this.

k so today i got in my car to find all my dads papers on the floor were wet so im like okay... whats going on here. i lift up the floor matt only to find a puddle of water. it is on the passenger side floor ONLY not the seat, not the door, not the center consil. i checked the front window and NOTHING its not wet around the top or anything. where could all this water have came from? i didnt even drive it in the rain at all it just rained on it so i know the windows werent down at all + the door or seat would have been wet too any ideas or suggestions?

polishmafia
02-18-2008, 03:15 PM
search for "water interior" and be amazed at the hundreds of threads that pull up. this is a common occurance.

99 galant
02-18-2008, 03:22 PM
ok i searched but they knew where it was coming from... all i know is i have water infront of the passenger seat with no signs of where the water came from

seth98esT
02-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Solution is in this thread:
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=27118&highlight=water+leak

Had to search for "water leak".

99 galant
02-18-2008, 04:14 PM
i dont think that helps bcuz nothing else is wet besides the floor. it was like that just from sitting i wasnt driving or anything so its not left turned and i dont feel any wet of where it could come from

seth98esT
02-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Well if you didnt notice it untill now, who knows how long it has been there? It has to come from somewhere, either a clogged evap drain or your weather stripping is shot. Shouldnt be hard to figure out, when is it going to rain next?

If you didnt read that thread, this is the post I was referring to:

my guess is that you have a clogged evap drain. when you make left turns, do you hear the sound of rushing water? if so. then the evap drain is clogged and water isnt draining to the outside. the drain can be found standing on the driver side fender. its on the firewall, towards the bottom. if you look at the rear motor mount, its the black nub thats right behind it. i took an air compressor and blew air into the hole, freeing up the clog.

Might try changing the cabin filter since you have a 99.

99 galant
02-18-2008, 04:49 PM
well i was just down there and its the whole passenger side. only a little in the front but the back and everything is soaked too but only the floor how do i change the filter or if it is the sunroof drain how do i unclog it? its only on the passenger not the driver side tho

Eclipse97526
02-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Trust me man :) i thought it was wierd toooo :P Its called the EVAP drain, its where your heatercore releases the condensation ( Drain valve that gets clogged ) Usally that is where your car pees from after you park it . If you had the heater or AC running for a while. It will leak condensation. This clogs up, and backs up the drain. Mine was leaking bad. But i went on a 5 hour roadtrip in the snow, and had the heater running full bore, so i had so much condensation, i could see it pouring out, It was running and leaking all from underneath the glovebox area. The entire Passenger side was soaked. like you explained.

I heard the rushing water way before i had the leaking water in the passenger side floor board. ( have you ever been making a left hand turn, with your heater on, And heard what sounds like rushing water, Or water hitting your wheel whells. And its not running ? Either way, You have a 8g galant, it i guarntee that Evap is plugged.

its a very Easy fix . Just Go outside, pop your hood, get a flashlight... stand by your drive door by your battery. shine the light down on your rear motor mount. ( this is when i noticed mine is broken lol ) anwyays... now if you look behind the motor mount, you will see a little numb ( Right on the firewall ) Its in a really hard to reach bad area. But you can reach down there and feel it is a little rubber thinggy, you just pull it off and go wash it out ;) mine was all clogged up. I took my air compressor, and blew it out ( the drain hole behind the motor mount ) replaced the black nub. That was the hardist part.... Was in a bad area to get back on. after i fixed this, I no longer had a wet passengerside !! Expecially with spring coming, you dont want that crap to mold man.

Eclipse97526
02-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Also the cabin filter will help alot, But they are like 80 $ at autozone here. So i just blew mine out with a air compressor. It was VERY dirty and clogged. And my AC barely Worked. Had nothing to do with the water problem at all, Was AC related problems i was having. its a eaxy fix tooo. Even though. i reccomend buying a new one, mine was NOT in good condition when i put it back in. but it was free of 1/2 inch of dirt and leaves. and i ghetto fabed myself a new filter lol. ( dont ask )

Go outside, get in the passenger side of your car. Open your glove box. when its hanging open you can look on the sides, ( there are little tabs that are holding the glovebox in its posistion, If you press in in these tabs, You can pull the glovebox open, so it will swing down, than can be easily lifted out of its little fitting.

Now behind the glovebox there is a little plastic guard. Heald in by 2 screws. Just undoo these 2 screws. And the filter is right there, you pull it out like an old 8 Trac Tape. just pull it out, and replace.

99 galant
02-18-2008, 06:00 PM
ok ill try to talk to a friend about using his air compressor when we do the spoiler on my car and ill take a look at the cabin filter later, but how does all that back up only effect the passenger side? and i saw your whole post about it but didnt think that the backup was what i had. but thankyou for looking and commenting

99 galant
02-18-2008, 06:02 PM
could you take pics for me? if possibly about where to find that plug

99 galant
02-20-2008, 11:20 AM
does anyone have a pic of where to find this thing. i cant find it

dwnshfter
02-20-2008, 12:10 PM
are you sure it's not coolant?

99 galant
02-20-2008, 12:37 PM
where would that leak in? all the water is just on half of the front floor and all of the back. theres NO sign anywhere of how it got in. the glove box isnt wet the front window isnt wet. the windows wernt down. im getting no where with this. and i cant find the plug that everyone else is telling me to clean out. i did clean out my cabin filter and it was gross but that isnt it bcuz its not leaking from the glove box

spardavr4
02-20-2008, 12:46 PM
I have the same problem. It is either the evap drain like everyone says, or it is coming in from your doors. Open your passenger side door. Underneath the door connected towards the inside, there is a black rubber piece that goes under the door. Make sure it is on the inside of your car. When I say this I mean this: Try pulling the rubber towards you and feel behind it. While touching the actual car door (the metal) try and find a hole. You want the rubber behind that meaning inside of car>rubber>hole. I had this same problem and I fixed it because that hole was being clogged by that rubber piece.

Your weather strip is probably broken too. This would be the only way water would get into the car door. Unfortunately for me, water hit my rockford speakers and broke them. I had to buy new ones :(

99 galant
02-20-2008, 12:49 PM
hmm you know i did just mess with the back doors about 2 weeks ago. maybe i didnt put the strip at the bottom on rite ill go check that now

but if im not driving how could it get in?

spardavr4
02-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Through the weather strip. It's that black strip that goes where the window comes out. That is most definitely shot if it's coming through the door. It can just go through the window opening and drip down through the door and onto the carpet.

spardavr4
02-20-2008, 12:54 PM
I forgot to say, I know this because after I got my new speakers, I put a plastic bag coated with duct tape, so water wouldn't touch them. I can hear water dripping when my car is stationary when it hits the bag.

99 galant
02-20-2008, 12:58 PM
well i dont think its the top stripping i think its the bottom for me. thats the only part i messed with and theres no sign of water dripping down my doors at all, i mean the only thing i did was take the interior of the door off on both back doors and it only happens on the passenger side

spardavr4
02-20-2008, 01:00 PM
I haven't even laid a finger on the weather strip and it still broke. Don't ask me how, because I have no idea. My car leaked on the passenger side door when I put the bags in. I'm guessing the bag was redirecting the water differently and was not leaving the door and was coming inside instead. After I played around with that bottom strip, it seems to have stopped.

Well at least I hope so.

99 galant
02-20-2008, 01:04 PM
so i should check not only that bottom one but the top one too? what do i have to look for in the top one and if it was the top would i see water marks going down my tint?

spardavr4
02-20-2008, 01:13 PM
I have no idea how to check if it is broken. I mean on mine it was obvious. The strip could easily lift up and its not suppose to do that.

spardavr4
02-20-2008, 01:14 PM
If I have time I'll take a picture to show you what I mean, but I'm not feeling to good right now.

99 galant
02-20-2008, 01:15 PM
kk well im going to check the bottom then, maybe ill ask to borrow my girlfriends dads wet vac for now to try to save the carpet. but im going to try to find that plug in the engine later bcuz i just cant find it and ill check the weather stripping on the top and bottom

99 galant
02-20-2008, 01:16 PM
If I have time I'll take a picture to show you what I mean, but I'm not feeling to good right now.

thanks, get better last week i had the flu bug that even people with the flu shot can get altho i had it worse for not having the shot at all

qnz
02-20-2008, 01:52 PM
its not hard to locate. look for your rear motor mount. now look at your firewall. inbetween the rear motormount and the firewall should be your evap drain.

99 galant
02-20-2008, 01:53 PM
well whats the motor mount look like :( im car retarted seriously

qnz
02-20-2008, 03:14 PM
size of a hockey puck thats holding up the motor

99 galant
02-26-2008, 06:23 PM
alright well i havnt had time to drain the evap plug but i dont think that is the prob. i talked with someone before about how it could be my weather stripping. well its ONLY wet under the seat, in front of the seat hardly and behind the seat alot. how is that from the evap drain? i think theres something wrong with the seals of the doors and i made sure that i didnt fix the back door where i think i messed with the bottom weather strip to see if it was leaking in from there. nope its not. could it be leaking in from behind the center piller between the two doors? i noticed my carpet was kinda going away from it in that spot so maybe it is coming in there and the glue to hold the carpet down is wearing away bcuz of it? any thoughts?

99 galant
02-26-2008, 06:43 PM
ok i just went down again, i think i have a seal problem in the back door upper seal. the right side of the back seat is kinda damp and the plastic that runs down the side of the seat is wet too. i think its running down that under the plastic piece at the bottom (Where some members installed chrome) and then down into the carpet. what can i do about this?

99 galant
02-26-2008, 08:50 PM
someone help please

Eclipse97526
02-27-2008, 08:36 AM
dude, stewi or scsi woulda helped you already, it is the Evap drain plug, lol ok im going to go outside right now, even though its dark. Brb With pictures.

Eclipse97526
02-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Well just so you know, this has to be one of the hardist pictures of anything u could want a picture of, but ill try to make the most sense of it.

Basicly. Standing buy your driver side front tire. As pictured...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/eclipse97526/02-27-08_0639.jpg

and you look back along the firewall as pictured ( the motor mount is the hockey puck shapped thing, With a red tipped bolt going threw it.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/eclipse97526/02-27-08_0645.jpg

a little closer shot of the motor mount.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/eclipse97526/02-27-08_0641.jpg

Now this is going in even closer, trying to shine light back there so u can see it. It is the only Rubber little drain valve you can feel behind the motor mount, It is rubber, and you can pull it off, dont gotta unscrew it or anything. just grab and pull, I kinda squeezed it first, and my finger got wet, and i checked it, was plain old water, thats how i knew it was the EVAP

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/eclipse97526/02-27-08_0644.jpg

This takes ALOT longer to explain and to take pictures of. than it is to do it. the Hardist part was getting the valve back on, just unpluc this valve, Drive around the block a few times with your heater blastin, should get all the crap out. Then come back and put your little rubber thinggy back on, so it keeps dirt and what not from enterting VIA engine compartment.

Eclipse97526
02-27-2008, 09:02 AM
i know you cant see exactly where it is at in that last picture, cause its to blury, and hard to get the right ammount of light way back in there . then get in there and take a picture too.

but yea, use your idmagination, you can kinda see how i was standing taking the pictures, and you can see the area i was shining the light at. it is behind the motor mount, as pictured in the last picture. if u get a flashlight, and shine your light behind that motor mount, right were i did, you will see the little Black rubber Nub.

99 galant
02-27-2008, 12:53 PM
thanks again

WarmAndSCSI
02-27-2008, 01:09 PM
LOL, stop saying "EVAP" in all caps! If your EVAP (evaporative emissions) system was leaking into your cabin, it would be condensed gasoline vapors.

99 galant
02-27-2008, 03:12 PM
yo warm i think i figured it out. i think either my gf or her twin just didnt shut the door right bcuz i make sure they were shut tight last night and theres not more water then there was before the rain yesterday. i havnt had a chance to get the old water out and its been freezing and remelting with no time to dry with the cold weather so i think its all good

damn girls need to learn how to NOT slam my door and the other needs to learn how to shut it right. lol

WarmAndSCSI
02-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Good on ya.

99 galant
02-27-2008, 03:20 PM
im still going to have to replace the carpet and if there isnt a tut ill just make one :D

Rastus
02-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Damn, boy! Two full pages of posts of you crying because your GF left the door open.
There's gotta be some kind of award for that.:rolleyes:

99 galant
02-28-2008, 08:23 PM
yea well im still going to drain the evap just incase im wrong lol, im making her clean it tomorrow :lol: nah jk but its getting a good cleaning tomorow if the weather is warmer then today

Rastus
02-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Twins huh... could be fun. You think they've ever changed up on you without you knowing it?;)

99 galant
02-28-2008, 08:32 PM
nah i can tell them apart + at first her sister hated my guts for no reason other that neither had a bf before and someone new was taking time with her sister lol and my gf would hate if her sister got that close to me

oh the phone however, its hard to tell the voices and well they have a few times

spardavr4
03-01-2008, 05:15 PM
WTF!

Look what I found today :(
I guess I didn't fix anything!

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/7072/dsc00232tg9.jpg

99 galant
03-01-2008, 05:24 PM
dam that sucks, since i closed my doors harder now, no more water in my car

i really think that was the prob, but ill still drain the evap just so that i know for sure

spardavr4
03-01-2008, 05:26 PM
I was going to do the evap drain, when I realized I didn't have anything to blow into the hole or anything thin enough to go up there. I was retarded and I took off the little hose. I was outside for a solid half hour trying to put that damn hose on. They really put that in the most uncomfortable place to get to.

spardavr4
03-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Don't mean to jack your thread but is this what your's looked like? It's not dripping from the glove box. I opened up my door to see if it was dripping from the speaker. Here's some picture of the bag I had to make to cover it, but the metal around the speaker was dry so it can't be coming from there. The driver's side door has the same setup but it doesn't get wet so what gives.
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3590/dsc00233jw8.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1478/dsc00234cf4.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8886/dsc00236qy5.jpg

99 galant
03-08-2008, 09:14 PM
hey, you can use the thread

dam that sucks, since i closed my doors harder now, no more water in my car

i really think that was the prob, but ill still drain the evap just so that i know for sure

this was the prob for the rain storm about a week ago. NO water at all and it was really bad rain, but this time water.

so i still havnt found a chance to get to my friends for his air compressor. but what im wondering is, why does the pool party in my car only happen when it rains? this evap thing is weird. i cant wait to try that to figure out the next step tho. im not buying ANY carpet until this is solved. around 6:30 this morning it was only a little, by 1 after work it was a little more. then the realllly bad rain came and by 7 when i got back in tonight it was like a damn pool. why is it only when it rains?

qnz
03-09-2008, 01:57 AM
you can try sitting in your car and asking a friend to hose your car. you can look for leaks that way

99 galant
03-09-2008, 02:41 PM
that might work, im going to find a way to drain that plug anyways, im not trying to say the help on here was wrong, im just questioning why it only happens in the rain, last nights storm added so much more. im going to take up the carpet after i figure it out

first, im trying the plug
next, the passenger side weather strips.

spardavr4
03-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Be sure you have time to drain the EVAP drain. That thing is such a bitch to get back on.

99 galant
03-09-2008, 04:10 PM
i still want to understand why it only is effected during a rain storm. im hoping its nothing worse, im still going to do it, but i want to understand what is going on either way

Eclipse97526
03-27-2008, 09:38 AM
dude lol, stop wondering ! :P Get your butt on it !

First off, i saw the pictures, and it looks like 100 % pure water. Im just making sure that this is Water. with no antifreeze or anything mixed at all. I have already asked this question, but better safe than sorry.

The evap may or may not be the problem. But its a damn good start 90 % of the time, that is the problem, (expecially considering our cars are all 6-9 years old, And this is a common problem. Ontop of all that. it is free to fix. and easy if u have magic fingers that can slide it back on with a single fingertip, Yea, i got lucky lol. i almost said, @$@! this and threw that thing away, but i didnt want water just running down the inside of my engine compartment firewall, Just ads for rust and what not later on.

Basicly, Go clean this evap, you dont have to have a air compressor, the evap drain is about 1/3 inch in length and in depth ( the size of the tip of your thumb ) its not a bit part, no screws or bolts hold it on, it simply pulls off. getting it back is the hardist part. Pulls off easily, Feel around for the only soft rubbery thing you can feel right behind that motor mount i gave u pics of.
When you remove it you will see that it is tapered, if u turn it around and tap it on the ground all the crap will fall out, freeing the line. go wash it off if you wish. and try to idmagine where the whole was. Now put it back :P this is the pain part.

But ... Now. You know if you fixed it for free or not :P or know if it is another problem.....
and you can either try to dry out your carpet and hope for no mold.

OR... If that Did not fix it. Then you need to find the leak, Find the bad stripping or what the problem is,if it is not the evap drain, the only other legitimate thing i can think of it bieng, is a bad window seal, or what ever it is, ( the seal that actually prevents water from per say, running down the class and collecting in your door.

If this EVAP dont fix the problem. Get a garden hose, and sit inside, like homie said, and have him put it in certian areas for little bit and see if any water leaks threw. Repeat till you find the leak.

1. Evap Drain plug

2. Weather stripping ( goes along top of car, from front window to back window ) this is 95 % purley cosmetic, except the little tiny holes holding it on ) Basicly just allows water to run off the roof and either down the back side, or down the windshiled)

3. Door Seal stripping ( Rubber Stripping around the door itself ( this will only usally leak if there is something either pinched in the way, or if it is drying out and getting brittle and cracked. If this is in good condition. And easily bendable, with no cracks or brittle ness. Move on. to next step.

4. This one is kinda out there, i never heard of this happening, but kinda thought about it. Take your passengerside door pannel off, if it is not already. Roll your passengerside window up completly. Take the garden hose, And focus it on the rubber strip at the bottom of the glass ( where it goes into the door ) Keep this in one spot for a while. Basicly, you are checking to see if that seal is bad, and maybe somehow. Its like filling the door up with water, and then its slowly leaking into the inside.

Let me know how this is going, i would like to know hoow the progress is going, and if you got it fixed. If its not the EVAP, im very curious myself. never hurt to know what why when and how :P incase it happens to me, or happens again to others.

99 galant
03-27-2008, 11:08 AM
well i havnt had a chance to do it all at, thanks for your help threw it i just need to find the time with work and school to do it. im going to try to do it tomorrow. i just cant find it. im so retarted seriously. ill look at those pics again

my car is being weird tho. it only happens during the VERY hard or very long rain storms. the trunk has 5 gal of water and thats bcuz of my altezzas but the front hasnt leaked bcuz of no rain. im deff going to try to finally takle this issue tomorrow and ill post up what i found or what happens so that everyone else knows

i dont doubt that it can be this i just want to know why its only when it rains, but like you said i have to start somewhere and this is a good place to start

the210fella
08-17-2008, 12:57 PM
i know you guys are talking about water on the passenger side but if i have water on the driver side could this be cuz of the drain as well and its not alot of water but it builds up

99 galant
08-17-2008, 01:02 PM
well altho this is old, i got it fixed already and it was just what eclipse explained