PDA

View Full Version : Newbee advise??

J8g
02-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Well ive owned my 2002 es for a couple of years now but nvr realised the potential. my check engine light went on a little while ago.. because the 02 sensor and catalyic converter off the header both went bad....
and with my tax return i need advise where to spend my money

i need advise, should i...

-fix the cat and 02 sensor, est. 1200 1k for the cat and 200 for 02 sensor( the car itself doesnt feel broke)
-buy ebay header downpipe combo..
-full exhuast
-tint
-lower
-front lip
-intake
-DOHC swap (maybe turbo eventually)
-HID's
-interior work

All of which i plan on doing, where do i start???

WarmAndSCSI
02-20-2008, 08:19 PM
You should probably fix your car first because having a bad O2 sensor is probably killing your gas mileage.

The rest is up to you... seriously. We can't tell you what to do on your car first. We don't know your budget.

fatal1
02-20-2008, 08:21 PM
more then likely its just the o2 sensor, but when it goes bad it gives a code that the cat is bad because it isnt reading what it should...if you live in a state w/ emissions then you will definatelly have to take care of the problem but like i said just get an o2 sensor first... otherwise if theres really no problem then theres no need to worry about it much

do not buy an ebay header...if you find a good brand on ebay then go for it but dont buy obx or any other crap off there...in fact if you have intentions of turboing dont even get a header...it really doesnt do much on a N/A i4
other then that looks like you have some decent plans, but again when you drop it dont go cheap its a critical part of the car and you should stay within trusted brands for both ride quality and safety

RAZ_76
02-20-2008, 09:27 PM
I see this issue as an oportunity to get some nice aftermarket stuff. Why spend 1000 + 200 when you can get a Headers, and custom exhaust for that much and eliminate that cat all together. Thats of course is if you decide to stay NA. Good luck with your decision.

WarmAndSCSI
02-20-2008, 09:29 PM
I see this issue as an oportunity to get some nice aftermarket stuff. Why spend 1000 + 200 when you can get a Headers, and custom exhaust for that much and eliminate that cat all together. Thats of course is if you decide to stay NA. Good luck with your decision.

It's going to pop a code for catalyst efficiency just like it right now. He needs to fix the O2 sensor and the cat if there are emissions inspections in his state.

Either way, the O2 sensor needs to be fixed - it's only going to get worse as time goes on.

And that's dealer price for a cat, other places can get an equivalent one for much cheaper.

RAZ_76
02-20-2008, 09:37 PM
He can use a spark plug fouler and get rid of the light but you are right, he needs to replace the O2 sensor before he can take my advice.

WarmAndSCSI
02-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Still won't pass a sniffer test if they have them.

dknight3
02-20-2008, 10:48 PM
dont remove the cat you fucking retards, there is a reason why cars have them okay??
fuck man its not a race car its a galant there is no need to remove the cat.

RAZ_76
02-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Only the precat retard!

WarmAndSCSI
02-20-2008, 11:34 PM
dont remove the cat you fucking retards, there is a reason why cars have them okay??
fuck man its not a race car its a galant there is no need to remove the cat.
Leave the name-calling for some other forum.

RAZ is the only one suggesting he remove the cat.

dknight3
02-20-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm sorry warm i apologize i know how you hate name calling. It wont happen again.

RAZ_76
02-20-2008, 11:47 PM
-fix the cat and 02 sensor, est. 1200 1k for the cat and 200 for 02 sensor( the car itself doesnt feel broke)
-full exhuast
-tint
-lower
-front lip
-intake
-DOHC swap (maybe turbo eventually)
-HID's
-interior work

All of which i plan on doing, where do i start???

Start over, someone has their panties in a bunch again :rolleyes:

If you plan on doing DOHC swap and turbo then scratch: Intake & header downpipe combo.

Lower it!

RedGalant2k1
02-20-2008, 11:49 PM
You'd know if the cat-converter is bad. Start with the O2 sensor. Get the car mechanically sound before you spend money modifying it.

djflex167
02-21-2008, 03:31 AM
if i was you, i replace the O2 sensor since it will get worse later on like warm said, why modding your g on lowering, hids, front lip, intake, ect....when you know you have a problem like that! i rather have my car running ok than worring about modding it first!

Fully
02-21-2008, 04:54 AM
Yes fix the o2 sensor first.

Why pay for
-full exhuast
-intake
When you want to do this -DOHC swap (maybe turbo eventually), what a waste of money, you could spend it on these instead :)
-lower
-tint
-front lip
-interior work
-HID's

Work on your looks/Ice first.

dknight3
02-21-2008, 06:39 AM
buy the oxygen sensor online, and fix it yourself, it will be well under $100 and its easy to do.

after that, out of your list i would do this:
intake on ebay: $50
lip on ebay: $80
lower: $500
and if you have enough tint also i dont know how much it costs.

dronesurfboards
02-21-2008, 03:22 PM
o2 sensor will run you about 80-120 bucks, spend the money to get that done, and hopefully that is all you need. The precat is gonna cost you some money, i dont know if there is a big difference in price for the CA emissions precat or Fed emissions one. Or you can try a junkyard and find a precat for cheap on a car with low mileage and save yourself at least 500-600 bucks on a precat. leaving that crap alone is just gonna make your gas mileage go to crap and just mess with other things in your car.

WarmAndSCSI
02-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Fed cars don't have pre-cats... OEM-like replacements are only a few hundred bux.

His is a 2002, so it's definitely Cali-spec.

dronesurfboards
02-21-2008, 03:34 PM
I need a precat btw...so if you find a website that sells them for a reasonable price, please let me know. Thanks.

RAZ_76
02-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Fed cars don't have pre-cats... OEM-like replacements are only a few hundred bux.

His is a 2002, so it's definitely Cali-spec.

Well I have a Cali spec 02 and 99 Fed spec

My Cali spec has 2 cats- pre cat right under the exhaust manifold and one under
My 99 Fed spec has one under and exhaust manifold that looks similar to OBX.

I know his an 02 thats why I said that, I bet that pre cat is robbing you about 20%.

WarmAndSCSI
02-21-2008, 04:05 PM
20% of power? Yeah, okay. He'd gain 1-2 WHP by removing it.

RAZ_76
02-21-2008, 04:11 PM
No not 20% of power. 20% better exhaust flow...Come on dude! I know better. 20% of power is alot.

WarmAndSCSI
02-21-2008, 04:12 PM
20% exhaust flow... sounds like you pulled that straight out of your ass. You do realize the muffler is also a restriction, as are the bends in the piping, and don't forget the main cat. But, go ahead, go flowbench your exhaust system and let us know :roll:

RAZ_76
02-21-2008, 04:27 PM
:rolleyes: