PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control is dead

99gtz
02-22-2008, 10:36 AM
My cruise wont even light up. I have tried the end button and pushing stick down. Nothing works. I have read numerous posts about a vacuum line being the culprit or tail lights. Both are not the reason. I did see quite a few people asking about a fuse and no one could clarify where it is. Help?

RAZ_76
02-22-2008, 10:39 AM
I can tell you this right now that Vacuum lines and tail lights have nothing to do with this cruise control issue.

WarmAndSCSI
02-22-2008, 10:42 AM
If the light isn't coming on, it's not the vacuum line. I have my whole cruise control system (the components in the engine bay) removed right now and the light still comes on.

Hopefully somebody can point out the related fuse, because I'm fairly certain that's what the issue is. You can just start pulling fuses and checking them - it's probably one of the fuses in the interior fuse box.

99gtz
02-24-2008, 03:02 AM
I looked at every fuse in the interior box... Not the problem?! Anyone else?

Fishboy55
02-24-2008, 08:30 AM
I looked at every fuse in the interior box... Not the problem?! Anyone else?
Try the fuses under the hood. If you can't find a blown one, use this procedure to pull the diagnostic codes from the ECU:

1. Turn the ignition switch to "ON" position while holding the
auto-cruise control switch in the "SET" position (down).
Then, within one second, more the cruise control switch up
to the "RES" position.
2. Read a diagnostic trouble code by observing the flash
display pattern of the auto-cruise control indicator light in the
combination meter.

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE
CODE NO.

11 Auto-cruise vacuum pump drive system
12 Vehicle speed sensor system
14 Stoplight switch system
15 Auto-cruise control switch system
16 Auto-cruise control-ECU system
17 Throttle position sensor system

badmitsu
02-24-2008, 08:35 AM
there is a hose that can come off and stop the cruise from working and its under the hood. Dont have a pic, if no one else knows ill take a pic.

EDIT: Just noticed you said ur light wont even come on, so this wouldnt be the prob!

manybrews
02-24-2008, 09:05 AM
probably the actual cruise control switch, provided you dont have any blown fuses.

devgrp
02-24-2008, 09:23 AM
I taught my cruise control was dead until one day I was driving and tried it and it worked. It works when it wants to. sometimes the light will come on and sometimes it wont

shadow83
06-11-2010, 04:28 PM
I realize that this is an old thread but I tried the diagnostic below and the light just blinked continuiously. I got to 40 and gave up. I tried it three times. My light is OK and I checked the vacuum from the pump to the throttle body and it is fine. Anyone know where the cruise ECU is? I am also wondering if it can be the vacuum pump and was going to try to direct energize it but don't want to fry it. any suggestions?

Try the fuses under the hood. If you can't find a blown one, use this procedure to pull the diagnostic codes from the ECU:

1. Turn the ignition switch to "ON" position while holding the
auto-cruise control switch in the "SET" position (down).
Then, within one second, more the cruise control switch up
to the "RES" position.
2. Read a diagnostic trouble code by observing the flash
display pattern of the auto-cruise control indicator light in the
combination meter.

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE
CODE NO.

11 Auto-cruise vacuum pump drive system
12 Vehicle speed sensor system
14 Stoplight switch system
15 Auto-cruise control switch system
16 Auto-cruise control-ECU system
17 Throttle position sensor system

tamim13
06-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Are you having the same issue as the original poster? Or does your cruise control light up, but just not engage?

shadow83
06-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Are you having the same issue as the original poster? Or does your cruise control light up, but just not engage?
It lights but does not engage. I had the timing belt changed and it did not work after. Checked all of the connections and vacum lines and all is good. Also checked the vacuum servo on the throttle body and it works fine.

Mainly I am puzzled as to why my light just keeps blinking when I check for trouble codes.

jmonintwo
06-23-2010, 09:32 AM
My cruise and horn stopped working. I replaced the "clock spring".....fixed it. Bought on off ebay for $25 ??

It's located behind the airbag in the steering column. Not too hard to replace.

DISCONNECT BATTERY FIRST ! :)

shadow83
06-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Found it. Well, my mechanic did, and was I embarassed. I used the service manual and checked all of the wiring under the hood, fuses, switches and sensore and nadda. I knew that it must be something so obvious that I was not seeing the trees for the forest and needed a second set of eyes, it took my mechanic about two minutes. It seemed that there was a little elbow hose on the vacuum pump where one connection swivels. I saw it and even removed the pump to bench check it (it pulled a vacuum) and saw the hose but since it eas swiveled and pointing down I assumed that it was a vent. The mechanic swiveled it up and reconnected it, it is for the control valves. I then remembered that a few years ago when I had just purchased the car I had accidently disconnected the same tube from one connection and when the cruise did not work I saw it off.

I knew it HAD to be something so obvious that I was just not seeing it.