PDA

View Full Version : Tensioner Pulley

02redgalant
02-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Anybody replaced the tensioner pulley on a 2.4?I think mines gone bad I'm getting a small metal to metal noise from the belt area,also noticed the pulley is rocking back n forth...any details on the job or tips would be appreciated : )

wright06jhs
02-26-2008, 12:56 AM
Funny thing you ask this. I just had the same problem about 3 weeks ago, got an awfull metal to metal knocking sound coming from the timing belt cover. Took it to my mechanic and he checked it out, and the hydraulic tensioner went bad on my car! My car only has 68K miles on it....I dont know what happened to the thing but the whole bottom was blown out of it! My car is the V6 and you can only get that part from the dealer...it was 150.00 with overnight shipping. The whole job only cost me about $450 with parts and all, youll be lucky top get that price tho according to where you live.
Have fun with the timing belt job..lol

02redgalant
02-26-2008, 01:07 AM
Ouch, fortunately for me its the pulley between Power steering and AC

silversurfer
02-26-2008, 10:06 AM
I replaced all my belts at 80 thousand miles . do you need to tighten the tensioner maybe or maybe you need to tighten the pulley bilt thats why you have side to side play

WarmAndSCSI
02-26-2008, 10:14 AM
I know the 2.4L isn't like the 3.0L tensioner system. Doesn't the alternator just pivot in order to put tension on the belt? Just check the tension on the bolt that holds the pulley on. Tighten it if necessary.

chbuzz
03-18-2008, 08:22 PM
During t-belt job tensioner pulley must be tensioned/torqued using mitsu tool MD998767

02redgalant
04-03-2008, 08:15 PM
any ideas how to get this pulley out I'm by the car and theres not enough space to pull it out ...i pulled the passenger side mount and it dropped the engine about 3/4 of the pulley ,nuts off just cant get the pulley out...I really dont wanna pull out the crossmember for a pulley : (

02redgalant
04-06-2008, 03:47 AM
well i ended up just putting everything back for now and I put a new mitsu belt....but i'm getting a shrill noise from the pump area(below 1000rpm),it seems like it's tensioned well but the belts slipping only when im below 1000rpm and only when I turn left.....I pulled the belt out checked the pulley for any debris that maybe causing it but nothing retentioned it and it still does it...the belt doesn't slip above 1500rp...my dad thinks the pump is going but I think its strange that it happened after I changed a belt and fixed the pulley