PDA

View Full Version : Megan Springs in the front, stock in the rear?

RacerX
02-26-2008, 05:19 PM
I have a 2000 Galant 2.4L, I recently put some KYB GR-2 Struts and 18"(225/40r18) rims on and I started to really get annoyed that the front wheel has exactly 4 inches from the tip of the tire to the tip of the fender. And the rear wheel only has 1 inch from the tire and the tip of the fender(All i have is a Amp and a 12 inch kicker in my trunk). I noticed that all galants have that problem! I ordered Megan Racing Springs with a 2 inch drop. I figured i'd only put the front springs on since the rear looks good.

What do you guys think about that?

I just hope it looks good!
I'm putting them on tomorrow!

dknight3
02-26-2008, 05:31 PM
no. put them all on you dummy.

edit: btw i was just kidding about the dummy part. lol
but really it will be unbalanced or somthing if you only but on the front ones.
welcome to the forums.

Gladiator
02-26-2008, 05:46 PM
don't do it
When I installed my Teins, I only had time to do the fronts first so the rear was stock. The ride was bumpy as hell! Plus it just doesn't look right (too high on the back).

G-spot
02-26-2008, 05:47 PM
I don't see why not? If you're already have 1 inch clearance in the rear why drop it even lower? All you have to worry is to get better struts to hold the weight (which you probably have). But all you're wasting is a set of rear spring...

RacerX
02-26-2008, 06:36 PM
GLADIATOR, do you have a 4 or 6 cylinder? Because i know the 6 is a little lower because of the wieght.

lonestar22
02-26-2008, 07:02 PM
if your doing it for cosmetic reasons, which im sure you are. then go ahead you have nothing to worry about besides ride quality, which shouldnt be that bad if its soft in the rear.

in my opinion megan springs make the ass sag from what ive seen

Gladiator
02-26-2008, 11:37 PM
GLADIATOR, do you have a 4 or 6 cylinder? Because i know the 6 is a little lower because of the wieght.

V6
I have no experience with Megans but I'm just speaking from my experience with Teins. It was really really bouncy with stock rear springs, and the handling was way off on highway speeds. Like if I switched lanes quickly, I would feel the rear sway a little bit and get that feeling of no control.

That's why I don't recommend it.

Galant306m
02-27-2008, 12:15 AM
you should put all the springs on. your going to throw the whole balance of the car off, making it handle and take bumps weird. the only other thing that i can think of that you can do is if you dont want to put them in you could buy some spring stiffeners. i no that eibac makes them, they are neyopreme inserts that you put in the spring to make them stiffer you could look into doing that so that you dont have a crappy driving car.

djflex167
02-27-2008, 12:23 AM
its funny because the rear actually has less gap then the front one, and you feel at some point that if you put lowering springs all the way around your rear is going to be to low! but i would put them all!

njjfudge
02-27-2008, 07:07 AM
I say don't do it. I thought the same way when I was first dropping my G. The ride is just unbalanced, your car will be a lot stiffer in the front than the back and you will find you G bouncing from back to front a lot after bumps. Also if you have to make a quick change of direction, dodge something in the road, or take a curve a little too fast you have a higher chance of losing control.

RedGalant2k1
02-27-2008, 07:15 AM
you should put all the springs on. your going to throw the whole balance of the car off, making it handle and take bumps weird. the only other thing that i can think of that you can do is if you dont want to put them in you could buy some spring stiffeners. i no that eibac makes them, they are neyopreme inserts that you put in the spring to make them stiffer you could look into doing that so that you dont have a crappy driving car.

Exactly. You alter the spring rate between the front and rear axles. You can seriously hinder handling of the vehicle to an unsafe point.

If you want to level the car out either lower it with all four springs or use GTZ springs.

injen4g63
02-27-2008, 01:20 PM
dont try and beat around the bush. if your gonna lower your car then just do all 4 corners. cuz sooner or later you wil have to. i went with progress springs and it gave me a 2.2 inch drop in the front and a 1.8 drop in the back. worked out perfect.

fatal1
02-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Exactly. You alter the spring rate between the front and rear axles. You can seriously hinder handling of the vehicle to an unsafe point.

If you want to level the car out either lower it with all four springs or use GTZ springs.

exactly, why are you guys telling him its ok? it is absolutely not...the ride #1 will be uncoordinated, lowering springs are much stiffer then stocks and the rate is a lot different as well
it will not be safe to simply just do the front, you have nothing to worry about installng the rear ones it wont be too low, unless of course your wheels are really wide... it may sound like a lot but when they are actually installed the rear really wont be that low

WarmAndSCSI
02-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Haha, change just the front springs to sporty lowering springs and the car is gonna understeer like a pig. It already understeers enough stock as it is.

RacerX
02-27-2008, 05:24 PM
I put only the front springs on and to me the car handles a lot better than before. It used to feel like a truck in the front. I didn't like that every "G" with megan springs sags in the back and has a lot of positive chamber. The car looks great!!!!!! looks completely even with the rear!!!!

thanx for the replys,

Gladiator
02-27-2008, 05:40 PM
I put only the front springs on and to me the car handles a lot better than before. It used to feel like a truck in the front. I didn't like that every "G" with megan springs sags in the back and has a lot of positive chamber. The car looks great!!!!!! looks completely even with the rear!!!!

thanx for the replys,

cool, let us know how it handles after some time

DOHCstunr
02-27-2008, 06:48 PM
if you are only doing it for the looks.

then just cut your front springs and be done with it.

there is no reason for you to get higher spring rates if you aren't going to do it all around.
your car will understeer like a bitch, and handle like total ass.

just cut them and be done.

RacerX
02-27-2008, 07:25 PM
I already put the front springs on!!!! The way my car looks is the same as the cars on TGC with V6's!!! It looks completely even!!! The car actually handles better, the car feels more predictable!!! Not to soft or to hard(I have brand new KYB GR-2's), Not bouncy at all!!!

WarmAndSCSI
02-27-2008, 07:33 PM
The car actually handles better, the car feels more predictable!!!

Whatever you say... :roll: do you even know what understeer is? Do you do any racing except for in a straight line at stoplights? I'm serious. Take the car to a proper track or canyon/mountain pass and you'll find out how poorly it handles (how much it understeers) when you're stuck up against a rock wall or in the grass. :lol:

Seriously on MOST FWD cars, you want the rear more stiff in order to reverse the stock understeering characteristics (which are put into place for stupid soccer moms who don't know how to countersteer).

You are right about one thing: having more understeer does mean more predictability... not that that's an attribute of "good handling."

boostzealot
02-27-2008, 08:04 PM
and please dont get confused with a more stiff suspension/ride is a better handling ride. thats the whole reason for suspension geometry

injen4g63
02-27-2008, 08:47 PM
this is truly a sad topic. if u love your car, dont half-ass the work. just buy a civic if thats the case

Galant306m
02-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Whatever you say... :roll: do you even know what understeer is? Do you do any racing except for in a straight line at stoplights? I'm serious. Take the car to a proper track or canyon/mountain pass and you'll find out how poorly it handles (how much it understeers) when you're stuck up against a rock wall or in the grass. :lol:

Seriously on MOST FWD cars, you want the rear more stiff in order to reverse the stock understeering characteristics (which are put into place for stupid soccer moms who don't know how to countersteer).

You are right about one thing: having more understeer does mean more predictability... not that that's an attribute of "good handling."

exactly! If you get a chance take you car on a nice windy road and you will see what warm is talking about. your front end it just going to push though the turn making it a handfull to drive. also say that you are going through a turn with a larger bump the ass end of your car will typically try to come out from under its self. you should put the other springs on the rear see how it looks and see how it drives, i guarantee that you will be happier with the ride quality of four higher rate springs then just two. Plus if they made the car to low i don't think that the manufacture would keep making them the same way people would be complaining.

ShiZnitH
02-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Buy Coilovers and dropp it more in the front then on the back. Case done :rolleyes: Stiff springs in the front and soft on the ass is doomed to be bad! I had to do it when i was replacing my springs because i didnt have the time to change the springs on the back. Even in legal speedlimits it was awfull to drive :smt021

Gladiator
02-27-2008, 11:25 PM
its alright. its his car, his ride quality, his handling so he can choose what to mod himself

6G72gearhead
02-27-2008, 11:36 PM
It will plow like a pig if you do. As has already been touched on.

6G72gearhead
02-27-2008, 11:38 PM
its alright. its his car, his ride quality, his handling so he can choose what to mod himself

He asked a question, we answered it, and its a dumb idea, what else is there.

njjfudge
02-28-2008, 06:51 AM

Well he can do anything to his car if he want, unless it can put other people in danger. I know for a fact that just dropping the front is not safe because I was a dumb-ass and did it to my G when I first dropped it. You know what happened? I ended up wrecking going through a curve at the speed limit. They don't sell just front lowering springs for a reason. Dropping just the front no only makes your car handle bad, but it puts other people on the road in danger by increasing the likely hood of you loosing control.

WarmAndSCSI
02-28-2008, 07:01 AM
If this is the attitude people are going to have toward good advice, I just say "fuck it."

RedGalant2k1
02-28-2008, 07:38 AM
If this is the attitude people are going to have toward good advice, I just say "fuck it."

There is a limit to modifying however one wants. If it compromises safety I agree with Warm one doesn't really have a right to say "its their car, let them modify it".

If its a hazard on public roads than its EVERYONE'S concern.

ShiZnitH
02-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Finally a post that makes good sence. Luckely im in Norway so im not gonna be hit by that :lol: Safety is first priority

Gladiator
02-28-2008, 12:13 PM
There is a limit to modifying however one wants. If it compromises safety I agree with Warm one doesn't really have a right to say "its their car, let them modify it".

If its a hazard on public roads than its EVERYONE'S concern.

Well I was the second one to tell him not to do it. It seems that after 28 replies, OP will not listen to our advice. I don't know what else we can do except telling him not to have that setup.

RedGalant2k1
02-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Well I was the second one to tell him not to do it. It seems that after 28 replies, OP will not listen to our advice. I don't know what else we can do except telling him not to have that setup.

That like you said is his progative, but we are all still obligated to inform him of the safety issues.

WarmAndSCSI
02-28-2008, 12:24 PM
I think we all see the irony of him posting asking what we think even though he's going to do it any way :lol:

Gladiator
02-28-2008, 12:28 PM
I think we all see the irony of him posting asking what we think even though he's going to do it any way :lol:

yeah lol thats why I said its his car, his choice

I just hope hes not from the Tri State area for my safety.

RacerX
02-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Like I said, Thanx for the replys BUT don't get it twisted I use my galant for crusing in luxury, this car is just for looks. I have a honda CRX with a B20 block and a Type R head built(Circuit Monster). So, thanx anyways for answer my Question with your comments, but some of ya really need to watch ya mouth with the way ya talk. We all grown no reason to disrespect, unless you wanna pop off!!!

BRONX, NY

Silverfoxx_GTZ
02-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Doesn't seem like anyones disrespecting you at all, just talking you out of setting yourself up for disaster. If you wanna "cruise in luxury" knock yourself out.

6G72gearhead
02-28-2008, 09:36 PM
If you have a built CRX like that why would you be asking this question, that much of a stiffer rate on a front drive car spells disaster.

Its not a matter of what you are using a car for, its still important to have a balenced suspension set up in order to maintain some control in the inevitable emergency situation.

RacerX
02-28-2008, 10:29 PM
I was asking to see if anyone has ever done it or thought about it. The car drives fine with the new york city streets(dodgeing pop holes and sudden stops) !!!!

Thanx to everyone who mentioned info on me or my cars safety!!!!

6G72gearhead
02-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Unless you are taking good note of spring rate, in the full progressive liniage, and that sort of thing, its not a good idea to mis match springs.

boostzealot
03-01-2008, 01:29 AM
especially since most of the companies that put out springs for this platform rarely to real R&D to and for them. i see that most springs for this car sans tein and eibach are just over sprung and dont really match what a customer could be looking for. im glad that at least tein has a set of springs that are for comfort for this car that provide a nice drop without the stupid ass spring rates of others, check out getting a set of H-tech springs from tein.

and lets not try to threaten someone on this board as if something can really be done. i hardly think that if confronted with 90% of the people on this board would anything really happen. digress my friend and dont get mad at keyboard warriors, you should know that shit couldnt possibly be worth it.

ShiZnitH
03-01-2008, 12:18 PM
U probarly gonna drive the G at the speedlimits and u need stabiity at those speeds aswell ;)

broken
03-17-2008, 07:43 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the OE spring rates on the similar 3G are 180 lbs/in front, 140 lbs/in rear (anyone have factory rates for the Galant!?).

Soooo, fudging it up a bit, lets say that the Galant theoretically has 160 lbs/in springs in the rear.

The Megan Springs are 280F/250R. Since you only have the front springs installed, lets say that you are running 280F/160R!

Your car is really unbalanced right now!

Any way you put it, your car will not corner as well as it could. The MAJOR difference in spring rate could possibly create unpredictable handling at the limit!

The suspension geometry that is designed to give you predictable handling, was designed with a balanced F/R rate relationship. Please put your rear springs on, you'll thank yourself!

djflex167
03-18-2008, 01:40 AM
if i was to live near this guy, i would love to know when he is going to go out for a ride so that i can stay home and not risk my g and my life near a umbalanced G and can crash with a simple curve going on high speed! lol

The Fallen Angel
03-19-2008, 05:15 PM
This guy is an idiot.

RacerX
03-19-2008, 05:22 PM
FALLEN ANGEL, relax with the name calling!!!!

PM if anything, HOLLA AT ME!!!!!!

The Fallen Angel
03-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Not name calling, stating the facts.

Silverfoxx_GTZ
03-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Not name calling, stating the facts.

It's better to be silent and be thought the fool, than speak and remove all doubt.

The Fallen Angel
03-20-2008, 08:40 PM
It's better to be silent and be thought the fool, than speak and remove all doubt.

Then why did you speak for? Tool. :rolleyes:

kylecanthurdle
03-20-2008, 08:53 PM
ohhhhhh boy, well get some tein s techs, all 4 tho and itll look nice....maybe ur rear springs are a lil blown out like mine so the teins might not be too much of a difference in stock and aftermarket but lowerd

Silverfoxx_GTZ
03-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Then why did you speak for? Tool. :rolleyes:

I don't agree with what hes doing, but why go around throwing out insults like a hardass?

kylecanthurdle
03-21-2008, 07:00 AM
yeah, especially since ur a NOOB.......NOOB......oh wait, i shouldnt be talkin, lol

RacerX
03-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Yah nigaz is bunch of fucking assholes, I was asking a question If anyone has done it before!!!! THIS THREAD WAS BEFORE I PUT THE SPRINGS ON!!!!thats it !!! I put the springs on, the car feels great. I was only doing it for looks, I'm not trying to turn something thats not a sports car into a sports car thats why i have a HONDA!!!!!!!!

RacerX
03-22-2008, 07:35 PM
This shit talking thing is getting retarted now!:smt014Lets not get out of hand, where i'm from things only end one way!!!!:smt067

JUST WATCH YA MOUTH!!!PLEASE!!!!!

The Fallen Angel
03-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Yah nigaz is bunch of fucking assholes, I was asking a question If anyone has done it before!!!! THIS THREAD WAS BEFORE I PUT THE SPRINGS ON!!!!thats it !!! I put the springs on, the car feels great. I was only doing it for looks, I'm not trying to turn something thats not a sports car into a sports car thats why i have a HONDA!!!!!!!!

Internet toughguy. I hope you hit a nice pot hole and see how well your suspension technique works. haha :D

The Fallen Angel
03-23-2008, 01:44 PM
This shit talking thing is getting retarted now!:smt014Lets not get out of hand, where i'm from things only end one way!!!!:smt067

JUST WATCH YA MOUTH!!!PLEASE!!!!!

With you crying? Just because you like in NYC doesn't mean anything toughguy.

Ruslik
03-23-2008, 02:44 PM
well back to the topic i think u should take them all off
bc u dont really need them and just sell them to me

RacerX
03-23-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm writing to you guys that are talking shit because, you guys just really don't know how to give a reply with out being an asshole and don't know how to stop running your fucking mouth!!!!!! the only reason most nigaz talk shit on the computer is because they just see it as internet chat(talking shit) and that its not that serious.........WRONG!!!!!! Its always thats serious, Internet toughguys get punched in the face too!!!!!

ON SOME REAL SHIT, YA NIGAZ NEED TO DEAD ASS RELAX!!!!!!!!!

G-spot
03-23-2008, 06:59 PM
What's with all these noobs bashing another noob? Cut it out already, OP isn't gonna drive reckless enough to "hit a pole". Imfxxkngr8 has my old eibach front and stock on the rear for more than 3 months now and he has to commute quite distance every day dodging traffic and bad roads. Guess what? He's not dead and nor his car. That doesn't mean he's 100% safe...

The Fallen Angel
03-23-2008, 09:12 PM
What are nigaz?

guynlidia2006
03-24-2008, 06:36 PM
i am curious, is it bouncy at all? does it turn smooth? Have you had to aviod an accident or anything? Try a sharp turn at high speeds. I am curious because the rear is the perfect hight and the front of my g looks like a 4x4 and it is annoying me.

RacerX
03-27-2008, 05:43 PM
i am curious, is it bouncy at all? does it turn smooth? Have you had to aviod an accident or anything? Try a sharp turn at high speeds. I am curious because the rear is the perfect hight and the front of my g looks like a 4x4 and it is annoying me.

Its not bouncy at all!!! I've taken turns at just a little over 100mph and i had no problem, the car turns perfectly(i've made 90 degree turns pretty fast to beat stop lights and the car huges real good to the floor!!! The gap on the rear tires are to the rear quarter panel is the same as the front tires to the fenders. The car also handles real good at highway and much faster speeds!!! Jst changing the front springs worked out well!!! These galants aren't going be doing 130+ around a turn!!!!!

I put the springs on due to the 4x4 look also!!!!!

samuelg35
07-20-2008, 12:52 AM
i have a 9g with only front springs installed from eibach and its seems fine. warm sent me to this thread. if u are into racing do all 4 and keep some extra springs for inside ur truck so u can make sure ur spring rate is good enough. i know 240sx s with springs only on ONE SIDE like the driver side cuz the only drift one side. so do what u want and what looks good and dont care about the rest.

Arty_Harvy
03-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Ive had Tein S-Techs on the front only for over 2 years. The gap is perfect from front to back and the car has a mean ass lean to the front. There are cons to everything, as well as pros. The evo engine is a beast, but its gonna eat a shit load more gas than my 4g64. If doing something is worth it in your eyes, then thats all that matters. just my .02

goldenthumb51
03-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Wouldnt the car feel wierd?

ShiZnitH
03-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Major bumps :lol:
A Evo engine doesnt drink that much gas ;) A stock 2.0l evo engine drinks the same amount as the 2.0l 4G63. If ur give it soome gas it will suck out a oilwell :lol:

soundQ
03-31-2009, 09:36 PM
i had same problem cept i have custom system in back and it evened it out i lowered just the front and replaced the struts with kyb handles fine note the system is around 150-180 lbs lol