PDA

View Full Version : How do I change the timing?

Mr.Rebel
01-04-2003, 12:29 AM
this is in regards to my topic: High RPMs, Low Speed.
I wanna see if it was the timing. This how it all started....
It was one of those dayse where your belts just needed to be replaced..
It so happened that the belt actually ripped off the pulleys. Well, me trying to be a bad ass, drove my car all night long. And this was the ALT-WTR PUMP-P/S, belt that had broke.
I wasn't thinking that i was using the batteries to power my car(lights,stereo,amps). Well It just died on me. Ive tried letting everybody jump the battery. The car would start, but when i put it on drive it will start to cough,choke,fart,backfire. (Remember on Star wars Ep.1, during that pod race, how anykins pod was dying and sounding like, when that power thing came off?) Thats how mine was acting. Somehow after all that jumping,starting,pushing, my throttle response has been so fukt up!
I wanna see if it the timing before i get an opinion of thats the transmission. I still wanna know how you change the timing, i know that thier aint no timing belts...
Oh yeah...... I know im not the only one that watches star wars. Im not a geek though. :twisted:

Mr.Rebel
01-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Or is there a timing belt???????

manybrews
01-04-2003, 09:02 AM
all mitsus (except the 20 year old 2.6 liter) have always had timing belts. yours, in fact, has 2.

adjusting the cam timing is NOT recommended or possible without modification. if its not on, the timing has either jumped or was put together incorrectly somewhere.
incidently, incorrect cam timing can lead to massive engine damage, as all multi-valve (and most single valve) mitsu engines are interference engines.

Also, the ignition timing is not adjustable either (unless its a 94 or 95).

if you drove your car until the battery went dead because you tossed a couple of belts, theres a few things that probably happened .
first, if the battery went dead, you lost your adaptive idle memory. you will probably need to clean your throttle body.
second, if you "tossed" multiple belts, its probably from a failed crank damper. if thats the case, there is a good chance that the t-belt also was damaged/tossed, which would lead to the aforementioned engine damage.

one last thing.. timing does NOT just "change" spontaniously. if its off, its off for a reason (like it was assembled wrong, or something forced it to jump). i highly recommend that you have it checked out professionally if you find the timing is off.