PDA

View Full Version : What swaps are best or 8G?

Galant313
02-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I have a '99 ES with the 2.4L. What can I swap into this car motor wise? My tranny went out on me (I think), so I figured maybe I can do a swap with motor and tranny for the same cost as a new tranny. Any suggestion?

99 galant
02-27-2008, 07:29 PM
well this is a bit off topic since i cant pm you, but your car is really nice. the black altezzas look well with the blacked out car

spardavr4
02-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Your gonna need to make your sig picture smaller.

WarmAndSCSI
02-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Only direct swap is the Evo 4G63 and you can't use their trans any way since it's AWD. Otherwise, you're looking at the 6G72 or 6G74 and both would require a new subframe.

Not worth it at all IMHO. Just search around and you'll find all the answers you need about motor swaps. It's seriously one of the most discussed topics on TGC.

IceDouTGaLanT
02-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Just go to search and type whateva you want to know like "Tranny AND Swap", or EVO AND 8g" . But for trannys you can go 5-speed useing the 00-03 RS/GS eclipse transmission just grab everything from the donor car. If you go into 8g performance either the 2nd or 3rd links is a tutoral about the swap and parts needed. You can also PM me if you need help since i did the swap also.

dknight3
02-27-2008, 08:33 PM
yea you can slap in an evo engine, and i think you can get a 5 speed tranny from an eclipse, im not positive though.

WarmAndSCSI
02-27-2008, 08:44 PM
yea you can slap in an evo engine, and i think you can get a 5 speed tranny from an eclipse, im not positive though.
Why give advice if you're not sure about it? I don't get this.

Yes, you can do a tranny swap from a GS or RS 3rd gen Eclipse (2000-2005).

Galant313
02-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the compliment on the car, and sorry I am trying to shrink it down. Thanks for the advice on the B series motor, all I built was Hondas and I wanted to try this Galant for a change. Thanks for your suggestion guys!

WarmAndSCSI
02-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the compliment on the car, and sorry I am trying to shrink it down. Thanks for the advice on the B series motor, all I built was Hondas and I wanted to try this Galant for a change. Thanks for your suggestion guys!

I hope you realize the B-series thing was a joke.

unlimited6986
02-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Yea it was a joke, just joking around because the swap thing had been covered allot.

Galant313
02-27-2008, 09:31 PM
No I know you're joking, I'm just being a smartass, i have a sense of humor! LOL

Galant313
02-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Hey where is SL do you live WarmAndSCSI? I just moved back to Colorado from there. I lived in Taylorsville.

dknight3
02-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Why give advice if you're not sure about it? I don't get this.

Yes, you can do a tranny swap from a GS or RS 3rd gen Eclipse (2000-2005).
So you can verify it.
OR
So he can search if hes interested because this has been covered 100 times before.

WarmAndSCSI
02-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Hey where is SL do you live WarmAndSCSI? I just moved back to Colorado from there. I lived in Taylorsville.
I'm in Murray around 9th east and Van Winkle.

Galant313
02-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Cool I worked off of State and 2800

DNSerrano
02-27-2008, 10:00 PM
If I'm not mistaken there is also the possibility of swapping JDM Galant VR4 6A13TT engines on the 4 cyls. Only thing is, as with the Evo engines, you would have to keep it as a FF format since making the car AWD involves some good amount of money and cutting up the bottom of the car, where the gas tank is. Mitsubishi Mirages (the ones with the 4cyls facing out way) have done this and have succeeded in the install. Go to MirageForums.net for more info on it.

EDIT:

Here is some of the information on the swap

This is gonna be a post for the 6a13tt in a 1997 mirage DE. This is gonna be FWD not awd.In this conversion you can use the following items from a 1.8 97+ mirage.

1. 7 bolt flywheel (used lightened)
2. Stage 2 racing clutch ( stage one or stock is to weak i would think)
3. The axles and tranny
4. THe crossmember for 1.8 tranny AND MOUNTS I filled these with a polymer resin to help stiffin the mounts worked great looks bad Sad
5. The 1.8 radiator USE SLIM LINE FANS !!! STOCK FANS WON'T FIT
6. Your gonna want to unravel the 1.8 wiring harness and seporate the wiindsheild wiper controls and plugs also you gonna need to the 4 plugs from under dash I know one is for the wiper motor functions. There is 2 behind you radio and 2 under dash right wall behind glove box. I could not do this ass I sold my engine and wiring harness and ecu to another mpf member.
7. you are gonna need the 1.8 relays from the behind the radio. 1 is the mfi relay the other is for the fuel pump.

What you can't use.
1. The passenger side motor mount from the 1.8 won't fit make sure you get this mount with your new engine it is curved and it is a must to have.
2. 1.8 engine and wiring harness well most of the wiring harness
3. You are gonna need to shocks and springs the stocks ones will flatten. I purchased aftermarket suspenstion so i can not recomend what you should use. My coilovers work great.
4. FUEL PUMP WALBRO 255 IS HIGHLY REOMENDED LESS YOU LIKE DETONATION! So your stock fuel pump has to go bye bye.
5. And probably the most painfull thing..... you can never use 87 or 89 octane fuel ever again only 93 or better for this puppy.

I am gonna skip over 1.5&1.8 engine removal for the reason that there is 100 posts on how to do it. Also after you reove the engine & tranny damn it presure wash it and paint it!!

Step one prep of engine bay (what i learned in the process so you can do it right the first time)

You have to remove all the brake lines from the brake block and the master cylinder. Yes you are going to have to replace all the brake lines. be prepared. you are gonna have to relocate the brake block above the firewall by the chasis plate.

Remove the master cylinder. It is in the way no other reason.

On the passenger side of the engine bay there is a triangle peice of metal that has the power steering line running to it. It must be removed held on by 2- 12mm bolts. It will hit the alternator on the engine otherwise.

make sure you remove the front bumper and radiator.

remove the wiper fluid resivior. Your going to run the turbo piping though here. I heard you can use the resivior from the wrx but havn't tried ........yet.

http://www.mirageforums.net/garage.php?mode=view_gallery_item&type=garage_gallery&image_id=1057.jpg
http://www.mirageforums.net/garage.php?mode=view_gallery_item&type=garage_gallery&image_id=1055
http://www.mirageforums.net/garage.php?mode=view_gallery_item&type=garage_gallery&image_id=1054
http://www.mirageforums.net/garage.php?mode=view_gallery_item&type=garage_gallery&image_id=1455
http://www.mirageforums.net/garage.php?mode=view_gallery_item&type=garage_gallery&image_id=1456

WarmAndSCSI
02-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Cool I worked off of State and 2800
Then you must know Regulate Performance :lol:

4g63lover
02-27-2008, 10:12 PM
yeah, the 4G63T will bolt-up.

what I don't understand is why you would want to spend around 4k+ for a motor swap than just swapping to five speed on your 4G64 (which isn't bad on boost) for a little less than 2k. Just because you "think" you popped your tranny.

Sorry if that sounded like an asshole rmeark, but what is more cost effective here?

$8000 bone stock EVO set-up that will have your car down for a good amount of time cosidering wiring the ECU or standalone or whatever you use, or a 5-speed swap with a decent clutch and flywheel combo on your 4G64 for less than 2k?

DNSerrano
02-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah 5-Speed is the way to go if you think your auto tranny is going bad, no need for a swap unless you have the money

Galant313
02-27-2008, 10:18 PM
No, don't really have the money right now. But I do have about 2k to do the 5spd swap, I was just curious on swap ideas. Ideally I want a 5spd swap and just boost it. So I need to get a hold of a tranny out of a 00-01 Eclipse GS? How to I mount the clutch pedal and all that junk in/through the firewall?

DNSerrano
02-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Search my friend. Goosey did some installs a while back and he also posted up a tutorial on how to take the old A/T tranny and put the new M/T tranny. Everything fits, there are actually premade indents where you're current pedals are to fit a clutch pedal. I just hope the tut is still around and didn't get wiped when we switched over to this new forum.