PDA

View Full Version : HOW To CHANge a throttle BODY

Ruslik
03-06-2008, 12:15 PM
IM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY MISTAKES THAT YOU MAKE AND IF YOUR CAR RUNS LIKE CRAP OR BLOWS UP AND BLAH BLAH BLAH JUST BE CAREFUL AND USE COMMON SENSE

well 1st you get yourself a throttle body ( i got one from V6 galant 60 mm) MAKE SURE you clean it so its nice and shinny
the tools that you might need:
your 2 basic screwdrivers
a knife
pliers
your wrench with the sockets
about a foot of 3/8' cooling line with 4 metal ties(the ones you tie with a screwdriver) ( about 2.50)
and about a foot of those lines on top(the little ones) i dont know how much they cost but i was lucky enough to have at my house(they are the clear ones on the picture)

1) well disconnect you battery and and all the sensors
i had a problem with a side sensor so i unscrewed the whole thing and just screwed it to a new throttle body but if u can take it out congrats

2) unscrew the throttle body and dont lose that metal gasket between the intake manifold and the TB

3) cut the cooling lines and dont worry about the antifreeze poring out its just a lil
now dont be cheap and try to save them it will save u a lot of time and your TB swap will be a pleasurable experience

4) remove the metal clips that hold the cooling lines and trash them too
the new clips that you buy are going to be much easier to install with a screw driver

5)Now the TB should be hanging out just with the throttle cable, you need some patience with that
to take it out you need to pull it back and just play with that little stud at the end, theres a little gap on the side where you can take it out

6)once you did that Attach the new cooling lines on the car, secure them with metal clips

7)attach the throttle cable to the TB

8) slip the TB in the cooling lines and secure them(you might need to put one or 2 bolts in, to help you out)

9) secure the TB to the intake Manifold WITH that gasket

10) attach the little lines on top
and make sure everything looks right and the throttle cable moves

11)attach the 2 sensors and the battery

Turn the G on and see how she sounds (you should deff notice a better throttle response and your exhaust(if you have one) should sound deeper)

IF your engine light is on you prob did something wrong go and check everything
IF you have a little rough idling just adjust the idling screw located on the bottom
If you have question ask them here

Enjoy

QnzMostWanted
03-06-2008, 12:22 PM
i was thinking of doing this, but i'd want to port my intake manifold as well

WarmAndSCSI
03-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Easiest way to remove the throttle cable from the TB is to unbolt it from everything it attaches to and get a lot of slack. Just line up the cable with the slit and slide it out! I had trouble the first time I did it, but it's easy now.

V6 guys have a similar upgrade path from the 6G72 TB to the 65 mm 6G74 TB. Requires you to bore the intake mani unless you use the Diamante one.

RAZ_76
03-06-2008, 12:31 PM
So any 99-03 V6 galant TB works on the99-03 I4 Galant??

WarmAndSCSI
03-06-2008, 12:32 PM
So any 99-03 V6 galant TB works on the99-03 I4 Galant??
Barring what he outlined in his tutorial, yes. You can probably even use the 6G74 TB off the newer Diamante. I don't know if there's enough material to bore away, however.

gtx
03-06-2008, 03:32 PM
About the small gear worm clamps: I myself absolutely did not like how they bit into the coolant lines, so I'd suggest to reuse the oem springloaded ones.

Barring what he outlined in his tutorial, yes. You can probably even use the 6G74 TB off the newer Diamante. I don't know if there's enough material to bore away, however.

Yeah, I just sold my old V6 TB to an I4 guy over the weekend, and he bolted it up without any problems. I doubt the I4 mani has enough meet to handle the Diamante tb tho.

Ruslik
03-06-2008, 08:49 PM
yes any TB from 99-03 v6 should work on i4 without any cutting

silver01g
01-20-2009, 10:20 PM
what do you gain from a V6 TB to a I4

Ruslik
01-25-2009, 01:21 PM
its bigger and faster throttle response

kalvinsaid
01-26-2009, 10:50 PM
did you post pictures? if you didnt could you? 8)...im trying to proccess the words into images but it just wont work. sad life 8(

demon69eyes
01-27-2009, 11:19 AM
thats a lot of hassle! i like to convert mine to.. =):D:D:D

Honkasena
02-17-2010, 11:00 PM
hey the TB i grabbed from the junkyard has a different IAC...can i splice it with the original connecter from the IAC i got to my current IAC wires....