PDA

View Full Version : Axle

Danger DANJ
03-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Has anyone replaced their axle with an aftermarket one with good results? I really don't feel like paying $348 for a new OEM axle (V6 passenger side with ABS). I've found a bunch of aftermarket brands at different prices, but I'm looking for anyone who has had good luck with a certain brand.

I've read something from a 7G owner (can't remember who) that saved some money by buying an axle without ABS, which is cheaper, then switched over the ABS parts from the old axle. Anyone know if that's possible with the 8G too? If so, I might spend the $284 for the OEM non-ABS axle.

But really, I'd rather find a good aftermarket axle since they go for $70-$130.

WarmAndSCSI
03-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Not sure about swapping over the ABS gear, that may work. I'd just buy a remanufactured one. I've seen them used with good results first hand and they're mainly just remanufactured OEM axles. CarDone makes them and I think they sell for under $100 after core. I need to replace my passenger side axle and that's what I'll be using, if that's any comfort to you.

QnzMostWanted
03-11-2008, 12:16 PM
yeah autozone carries CarDone axles

pinoyesv6
03-11-2008, 12:37 PM
there was a review for raxles here before but i can't seem to find the thread but yea, i heard they were really really nice.

Danger DANJ
03-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Autozone's website lists Duralast axles only??

Anyway, Cardone is the brand I was contemplating before I posted. www.rockauto.com has my axle from Cardone for $69.79 after core return. RockAuto is where I usually end up going for aftermarket parts. At the same time I plan on getting all the parts I need to change my timing belt, so it would be a lot easier to get all my parts from the same place at the same time.

I guess I don't need to figure out if the ABS parts are exchangeable because both ABS and non-ABS axles cost the same from Cardone.

I thought there was a thread somewhere too about axles, but I searched for a while and couldn't find it.

WarmAndSCSI
03-11-2008, 01:13 PM
RockAuto charges way too much for shipping, but it's nice they have almost everything in stock. I use them all the freaking time. Good luck.

polishmafia
03-11-2008, 01:14 PM
you aren't going to be running huge amounts of power (at least i dont think you have those kinds of plans), so like others have said, id go with reman'd axles. i got both sides from napa (with core) with a lifetime warrenty for 80 bucks, but that was with my goodyear discount.

WarmAndSCSI
03-11-2008, 01:16 PM
you aren't going to be running huge amounts of power (at least i dont think you have those kinds of plans), so like others have said, id go with reman'd axles. i got both sides from napa (with core) with a lifetime warrenty for 80 bucks, but that was with my goodyear discount.

Even with huge amounts of power, you can get away with stock axles. It's just idiot 3G Eclipse drivers who feel it necessary to try to flat-foot launch a FWD car without a two-step that break axles all the time. I plan to just go through $80 axles rather than shelling out $600+ for a really good set.

Danger DANJ
03-11-2008, 01:33 PM
No, no plans for huge amounts of hp. I do need the axle to be able to pull my fat ass around though. lol. That's why I just joined planet fitness. :)

RAZ_76
03-11-2008, 01:57 PM
I've replaced my axles on my daily last year with aftermarket, cant remember what they were. No problems at all though.

6G72gearhead
03-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I buy the lifetime warrenty ones from O'Reillys and tell them "Hey I was driving at maybe 30 mph and it just broke" when I warrenty them.

WarmAndSCSI
03-11-2008, 03:41 PM
I buy the lifetime warrenty ones from O'Reillys and tell them "Hey I was driving at maybe 30 mph and it just broke" when I warrenty them.

If you're breaking axles like that, I'm surprised you haven't blown a diff on your manual yet.

6G72gearhead
03-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Oh dont worry, I have. I got in a little trouble for the OEM one that I warrentied. They dont break very often, mostly I throw them at stuff to make sure they cant be reused.

RAZ_76
03-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Why are you breaking axles???

6G72gearhead
03-11-2008, 10:46 PM
I've only been through 3 sets really, the pegs that the bearings ride on are really weak in the remans from Cardone, so they snap. The OEM ones went big along with the diff and ring gear, that was 8 months ago.

wright06jhs
03-12-2008, 12:11 AM
i bought mine with ABS from Car Quest auto for $70.00 Plus my half old/busted axle

underated
03-12-2008, 12:27 AM
i have napa axel's for both of mine they actually have lasted longer them my oem ones did lol

they have been on through 1st gear 100shot nitrous burnouts and my turbo kit all while being lowered 3 inches so i cant complain the shop i bought them from has since closed down but i dont care i would gladly buy another set if something happens to these

6G72gearhead
03-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Yeah they dont like going from snow to pavement @ 80 mph in 4th gear, when the car is actually only 25 mph.

WarmAndSCSI
03-12-2008, 06:25 AM
i have napa axel's for both of mine they actually have lasted longer them my oem ones did lol

they have been on through 1st gear 100shot nitrous burnouts and my turbo kit all while being lowered 3 inches so i cant complain the shop i bought them from has since closed down but i dont care i would gladly buy another set if something happens to these

Brandon, how does the apparent build quality of the NAPA axles compare to stock? I may have changed my mind on my replacements.

Danger DANJ
03-12-2008, 09:15 AM
I might order from Napa then. There is one close to me.

underated
03-12-2008, 12:24 PM
from what i remember when installing it the rubber cv boots were thicker material and the clamps that held them on were thicker to so a little more clamping force... as far as the shaft i didnt really see a difference but the whole axle assembly seemed lighter i wish i would have weighed both because if it is lighter then that effect unsprung weight but i had to hurry up and get the car running so i didnt get a chance.

hope that helped, Napa sells pretty good timing components also, i bought mine from there @ 60k. on this build i just did, i used all OEM stuff no real reason other then i got a discount on it. the tensioners from napa looked the same when i took them off the other engine

WarmAndSCSI
03-12-2008, 12:25 PM
from what i remember when installing it the rubber cv boots were thicker material and the clamps that held them on were thicker to so a little more clamping force... as far as the shaft i didnt really see a difference but the whole axle assembly seemed lighter i wish i would have weighed both because if it is lighter then that effect unsprung weight but i had to hurry up and get the car running so i didnt get a chance.

hope that helped, Napa sells pretty good timing components also, i bought mine from there @ 60k. on this build i just did, i used all OEM stuff no real reason other then i got a discount on it. the tensioners from napa looked the same when i took them off the other engine

I see the manufacturer code on NAPA's site but I don't actually know what it stands for. Who actually made/remanufactured the axles?

dronesurfboards
03-12-2008, 08:12 PM
I got some autozone aftermarket axles on mine, the only difference i saw was the boot itself, had a couple more ribs on it for better flexibility and thicker clamps like underated said. Just as long as youre not dumping the clutch on them (if youre a 5spd, they should work fine. had mine on for about 5-6 months now, no issues yet. cant beat the lifetime warranty on them either.

02redgalant
03-12-2008, 08:52 PM
I have raxles on my passenger side,good quality,and they also do have a lifetime warranty..I think what makes them difference is that they don't reuse any parts from the original its all brand new except the axle itself check there website for specifics..i payed around $130 and there located in North Florida everytime I called i spoke Marty he's the owner....I noticed no difference really between the original and the raxle

underated
03-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Tj im not sure who makes them mine came in a box that said "CV axle" and thats it lol i was a little worried at first but they turned out great... i can call my local one and see who remanufactured them

6G72gearhead
03-13-2008, 01:43 AM
They look to have done the same thing O'Reilly has done, which is rebox the new Cardone shafts, the pricing is about what new ones in the O'Reilly MSV brand are. The new ones are pretty good stuff, its just the remans that suck. As soon as they become available in my district thats what I am going to.