PDA

View Full Version : smells lyke smoke...

krazienluv10
01-06-2003, 02:05 AM
hey tgc peoples... lately ive been driving around town and i noticed my car starting to smell lyke something is burning but i dont kno what it is. i smell it once in a while after 15 minutes when imm at a light and then when i park my car its not my tires cuz i checked really well... and i noticed that when i my car was missing that tube that goes in the resovoir that hold coolant and the tank has been full for about 2 months now ever since i took it to pepboys... i hope thats not the problem i went to the store and bought a tube to fix it but my car still smells...

redlobster
01-06-2003, 12:22 PM
does it smell like it could be oil burning or does it smell like rotten eggs?

krazienluv10
01-06-2003, 08:42 PM
more lyke oil burning

pinoyesv6
01-06-2003, 09:20 PM
first thing i'd do is check ur radiator. check the fluid level. make sure thats still good cuz that tube is kinda important. and see if the smelling is coming from that missing tube. possibly some leaky coolant that happen to overflow somewhere.

then i'd just start up the car and just start smelling around. maybe u have a leak somewhere and thats what ur smelling.

if you live in a warmer climate, maybe wash the engine bay. maybe u picked up some kinda debris and thats burning up. nonetheless, try to find it quick cuz u might regret not finding it sooner.

o yea u said it smelled like oil burning. check ur oil levels and all ur other fluid levels too. if something is leaking, their levels will go down

peanotation
01-06-2003, 09:27 PM
i got into an accident about a year ago, and they had to replace my coolant reservoir. like a fucking dumbass, i didn't check to make sure they got everything back to normal. i started smelling the same thing under the same conditions ur saying. i was missing my tube to go from the cap to the plastic reservoir. i replaced the tube, and about a week later, no more smell. i also dumped out the existing coolant and put in brand new coolant. u might wanna get a coolant flush for a couple of bucks.

krazienluv10
01-08-2003, 12:09 AM
koo thanx guys

krazienluv10
01-15-2003, 01:45 AM
okay guys i thought i fixed the problem by fixing the resovoir but my car is still smelling... and i thought of something i removed my cat and installed a test pipe do you think i need to put a gasket on it or would it be better if i just put back my stock cat...?? could this be the smell??

JiP
01-15-2003, 11:39 AM
You didnt put the gaskets from your cat onto your test pipe??

Cause your suposed to, or buy new gaskets. I ran my selfmade downpipe and testpipe for a month with no gaskets at the flex section and between the test pipe ends and yes at stop lights and when your car is standing still you get a wiff of exhaust wich is most likely deadly in the right amounts...I got the gaskets and threw em on I dont smell anything anymore.