PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Q's

DonttCare
03-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Hey, right now i have this head unit installed in my '99 galant:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-HD-Ready-Car-Stereo-CDX-GT520/sem/rpsm/oid/190706/catOid/-13089/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

And I am considering putting these 6 x 9's in my rear deck.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Eclipse-6-x-9-4-Way-Coaxial-Speakers-SE8495/sem/rpsm/oid/146004/catOid/-13092/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Just wanted any thoughts on those speakers.

Other than that, should i consider an amp, or would i underpower these speakers w/ out one?

Serstylz2
03-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Eclipse makes a good speaker. Do you have subs though? If so I wouldn't waste my time getting new 6x9's, just good front door speakers and tweeters, and as far as an amp it's up to you really, they will perform fine with the internal amp on the Sony (ew) headunit

DonttCare
03-16-2008, 10:04 AM
No subs, right now im just going for the sound.
Alright i will work on the front first.
How do you feel about these fronts:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kicker-6-1-2-Coaxial-Speakers-055KS60/sem/rpsm/oid/130630/catOid/-13092/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

hellk4t
03-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Not bad, kicker makes some good stuff too.

IVORY_G
03-16-2008, 08:06 PM
I would suggest that once u upgrade the front 6.5" or 6.75" speakers, {with either components or 2 ways with separate tweeters} that you upgrade the rear 6x9"s also to a 3-way speaker setup. The stock 6x9"s will not give you the power and the range of mids and highs if you install a subwoofer setup.They will be drowned out by the bass of the subs, and 4-way 6x9's are overkill, you're almost eliminating the sound of the mids coming from the 6x9 with the additional tweeter. Its just unecessary. So to reinterate, 6.5" or 6.75" 2 way with 6x9" 3-ways + subs = :D Also an amp for the highs wouldnt hurt either, if the speakers you get are powerful enough to accomodate one. Like 100 watts or more per speaker would benefit from an amp...

DonttCare
03-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Ok, Thanks

keefin
03-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Hey, right now i have this head unit installed in my '99 galant:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-HD-Ready-Car-Stereo-CDX-GT520/sem/rpsm/oid/190706/catOid/-13089/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

And I am considering putting these 6 x 9's in my rear deck.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Eclipse-6-x-9-4-Way-Coaxial-Speakers-SE8495/sem/rpsm/oid/146004/catOid/-13092/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Just wanted any thoughts on those speakers.

Other than that, should i consider an amp, or would i underpower these speakers w/ out one?

I just wanna say, after recently paying off my 99 Galant, I was lead to do something special to "celebrate" it officially being mine. So today I tell my job I'm not feeling well and need to leave early and head off to Circuit city to buy the same Sony Headunit you referenced since it seems to be pretty good (I have no idea when it comes to good units)

Anyway man, I get to circuit city and show him what i want. I tell him I wanted those kicker speakers too (I was basically gonna replicate your setup because I don't know anything about what fits and what doesn't so just being safe) but he recommends some other ones for me. Polk Audio DB651.

So I'm like, "cool" I wanna pay for this seperately though. So he disappears for a minute to locate some plugs/harnesses whatever they are, that was needed for my head unit and some speaker adapter things for the speakers while I waited. So he comes back, rings me up for the plugs/adapeters, the deck, and shows me where my installation was free since my unit for over $129.99. Cool, so I pay wit my credit card for all that because the speakers I was gonna pay wit my debit card.

So he finishes, and I'm like ".....My speakers?" because it didn't seem like he was planning to ring them up. They were supposed to be $99.99...And he's like "yeah it's all right here" and hands me ALL OF IT!!! with the receipt. OK that's weird I thought, he must doesn't realize....and I just hurried the hell up and got outta there!!! I just walked out the damn store with the receipt of top just like he handed it to me!~

IVORY_G
03-25-2008, 01:15 AM
I just wanna say, after recently paying off my 99 Galant, I was lead to do something special to "celebrate" it officially being mine. So today I tell my job I'm not feeling well and need to leave early and head off to Circuit city to buy the same Sony Headunit you referenced since it seems to be pretty good (I have no idea when it comes to good units)

Anyway man, I get to circuit city and show him what i want. I tell him I wanted those kicker speakers too (I was basically gonna replicate your setup because I don't know anything about what fits and what doesn't so just being safe) but he recommends some other ones for me. Polk Audio DB651.

So I'm like, "cool" I wanna pay for this seperately though. So he disappears for a minute to locate some plugs/harnesses whatever they are, that was needed for my head unit and some speaker adapter things for the speakers while I waited. So he comes back, rings me up for the plugs/adapeters, the deck, and shows me where my installation was free since my unit for over $129.99. Cool, so I pay wit my credit card for all that because the speakers I was gonna pay wit my debit card.

So he finishes, and I'm like ".....My speakers?" because it didn't seem like he was planning to ring them up. They were supposed to be $99.99...And he's like "yeah it's all right here" and hands me ALL OF IT!!! with the receipt. OK that's weird I thought, he must doesn't realize....and I just hurried the hell up and got outta there!!! I just walked out the damn store with the receipt of top just like he handed it to me!~

LMFAO!!! :D Thats Hilarious, thats like the commercial where that lady is runnin out of the store yellin at her husband, "Start the Car! Start the Car!!!" LOL!

Fishboy55
03-25-2008, 05:33 AM
:lol: Ahhh yes the caliber of Circuit City employees never ceases to amaze me....

stolenstapler86
03-25-2008, 11:02 PM
I would suggest that once u upgrade the front 6.5" or 6.75" speakers, {with either components or 2 ways with separate tweeters} that you upgrade the rear 6x9"s also to a 3-way speaker setup. The stock 6x9"s will not give you the power and the range of mids and highs if you install a subwoofer setup.They will be drowned out by the bass of the subs, and 4-way 6x9's are overkill, you're almost eliminating the sound of the mids coming from the 6x9 with the additional tweeter. Its just unecessary. So to reinterate, 6.5" or 6.75" 2 way with 6x9" 3-ways + subs = :D Also an amp for the highs wouldnt hurt either, if the speakers you get are powerful enough to accomodate one. Like 100 watts or more per speaker would benefit from an amp...

Why would the subs drown out the mids and highs? additionally, why would the extra tweeter in the 4 way eliminate the mids? I'm not trying to second guess or anything, I just don't understand what you meant.

fliegendaffe
03-25-2008, 11:32 PM
i have those in my car along with an eclipse deck and the 3-way 6.5" in the front. i've loved them ever since i got them

fliegendaffe
03-25-2008, 11:33 PM
:lol: Ahhh yes the caliber of Circuit City employees never ceases to amaze me....

i take offense to that now. but i would be able to sell stuff properly vs most of them there since i know what i am talking about.

fliegendaffe
03-25-2008, 11:34 PM

it wont drown it out unless it's out of phase, BUT a component set will give better sound than coax speakers

dronesurfboards
03-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Actually if youre looking for a SQL setup, then your front speakers are what you need to concentrate 1st on since that is where you want most of your sound to come from. The rears are only there to compliment the front speakers to set a better soundstage. You have to look at a car stereo setup as if you were at a concert and you were in the stands. Rear speakers are just there for depth and to fill in holes that the front speakers arent able to project to. Components are the better bet but you want to put a good amount of wattage to your front speakers. Rears dont need that much but if you are running components its always good to run an ample amount of wattage so your speakers can produce a clean sound. so a decent 2way rear setup is fine coaxial or component. If you really want to spend some dough, Run a 3 way component in the front, ditch the crossover that comes with the speakers and run an seperate amps to the tweeter, mids, and midbass and adjust crossover frequencies accordingly.

Now if you want to be just straight up loud, then I suggest looking for speakers with high s/n ratio and the ability to handle gobs of wattage.

Last of all for a SQL setup, you dont need gobs of power. I personally run less than 800 watts total and maybe even less that that since my gains are set to practically nothing and for a 2 year old system, I still get some compliments on how nice my setup sounds

Eclipse CD8455 in pro mode which is a bitch to tune
Eclipse 8062 6.5 components
Eclipse SP 6x9 coaxials
JL audio 300/4
JL audio 500/1
JL audio 12w6v2 in sealed box which i know know is overkill...W3 or W1 is fine...even a 10inch sub is perfect
Dynamat extreme all over
all for less than 1200 bucks...thank god for hookups!

fliegendaffe
03-26-2008, 12:09 AM
if you were going SQL, then you wouldn't really use your rear deck speakers at all