PDA

View Full Version : jdm grill fitment?

bellefontaine187
03-16-2008, 10:38 AM
ok, i know i will eventually have to get jdm heads for the jdm grill to fit right, but i was just wondering if anyone had a pic of a jdm grill installed with stock heads? i just want to see how bad the gap looks on both sides...if anyone has done this and has pics id love to see them cus i have yet to find anyone whos done this after searching through maad threads. thanks in advance....

RAZ_76
03-16-2008, 10:52 AM
You will have about 1" on each side.

G-spot
03-16-2008, 10:56 AM
if you're good at adding abs plastic (from bumper repair kits), and a little fiberglass you can close most of the gap.

bellefontaine187
03-16-2008, 11:24 AM
thats an idea...adding to the sides..ill look into that. i love the jdm heads, but it just seems like soo much work to get them to fit right and then there is wiring them up....ive read into that and that seems to be more of a pain in the ass, considering i know nothing about wiring up headlights. soo, really im not sure what im going to do. i absolutly hate the look of the stock heads and ive had a modded stock grill wich looks pretty cool i just want the real deal. i might just turn around and sell this jdm grill and say fuck it. again anyone with pics of jdm grill installed with stock heads, feel free to post up a pic. id love to see.

RAZ_76
03-16-2008, 11:31 AM
I can slap my stock heads on really quick with my JDM grill and show you, if you like.

G-spot
03-16-2008, 11:34 AM
I don't think no one has that kind of setup. I'm not recommending you to add plastic yourself, but just get it done by pro body shop and then just paint it yourself.

bellefontaine187
03-16-2008, 11:38 AM
I can slap my stock heads on really quick with my JDM grill and show you, if you like.

that would be awesome if you could. thanks bro!i appreciate that man.

bellefontaine187
03-16-2008, 02:39 PM
ok...so i found a set of jdm heads...they look to be in great shape...says all bulbs and sockets are included and in tact. looking at the pics i noticed it looked like the wires on the back of one headlight were clipped off too close. i guess my questionn is can i get new sockets and bulbs for these if i have to? i dont know im getting discouraged. if i just by these headlights and drop myu car off at like autozone or some other place, would they be able to wire these up for me? ive read relaxes tutorial and other threads about this and im freaking lost man. anyone wanna buy a jdm grill?lol

djflex167
03-18-2008, 02:10 AM
ok...so i found a set of jdm heads...they look to be in great shape...says all bulbs and sockets are included and in tact. looking at the pics i noticed it looked like the wires on the back of one headlight were clipped off too close. i guess my questionn is can i get new sockets and bulbs for these if i have to? i dont know im getting discouraged. if i just by these headlights and drop myu car off at like autozone or some other place, would they be able to wire these up for me? ive read relaxes tutorial and other threads about this and im freaking lost man. anyone wanna buy a jdm grill?lol

so wats up? u ain't doing it anymore?

zobgel
03-18-2008, 03:36 AM

to be honest to wire them up is pretty easy, to make it fit on the car is not that easy but if you know what you doin you be ok.

your from Maine right? if you can drive down here in Boston for meet i can help you out to wire them up :)

bellefontaine187
03-18-2008, 02:19 PM
to be honest to wire them up is pretty easy, to make it fit on the car is not that easy but if you know what you doin you be ok.

your from Maine right? if you can drive down here in Boston for meet i can help you out to wire them up :)

hell yeah!that would be killer bro! imma go ahead and grab these jdm heads then. cant let a little modification keep me from doing what i want to do. let me know when the next boston meet is and ill definatly show. theres a girl at my work who drives her boyfreinds galant and hes got jdm heads too..so i think imma see if i can talk to him and get a look up close at what imma have to do. im pretty good with modding shit just not wiring shit..lol i was only kidding when i made that statment asking if anyone wanted to buy my jdm grill. so yeah im still going through with this. thanks everyone for your help and reassurance. i appreciate it.

RAZ_76
03-18-2008, 02:26 PM
When you custom a car the right way, you have to cut, drill and sometimes do a lot of modifications to achieve a nice ride. Bolt ons are for pansies.

bellefontaine187
03-18-2008, 04:44 PM
When you custom a car the right way, you have to cut, drill and sometimes do a lot of modifications to achieve a nice ride. Bolt ons are for pansies.

exactly..especially in our case...usdm galants dont have alot of aftermarket support so almost everything requires modding. i just told myself i wasnt going to mess with my exterior this spring/summer because i want to start some interior stuff and finish some other shit, i cant just let all these parts sit here so i guess ill just try and get a little of both done.

RAZ_76
03-18-2008, 04:47 PM
I say that all the time and sometimes like now, Im working on performance, interior and exterior at the same time...lol. Just install it and go from there.

spardavr4
03-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Zobgel's helping me put on my heads too (whenever I have time) bellefontaine187, maybe we'll see eachother when we have a meet!

bellefontaine187
03-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Zobgel's helping me put on my heads too (whenever I have time) bellefontaine187, maybe we'll see eachother when we have a meet!

no doubt! sounds like a plan! my jdm headlights are on the way from japan. i found this dude that sells them pretty cheap. 200shipped used but the are freeking prestine. they have all new bulbs and sockets and connectors and he polished the faces up too so they look brand new. i wouldnt have known the difrence if he didnt tell me they werent brand new. i can wait till they get here. im thinking imma just install them..u know, just fit them in then when i go to the meet it would be cool to get some helpwiring them up! my dad says he can get them to work. ill let him take a stab at it first then go from there. he's pretty genius when it comes to that type of shit. i just suck at wireing things up. i suck at splicing wires or ''tapping'' wires.

RAZ_76
03-21-2008, 06:07 PM
no doubt! sounds like a plan! my jdm headlights are on the way from japan. i found this dude that sells them pretty cheap. 200shipped used but the are freeking prestine. they have all new bulbs and sockets and connectors and he polished the faces up too so they look brand new. i wouldnt have known the difrence if he didnt tell me they werent brand new. i can wait till they get here. im thinking imma just install them..u know, just fit them in then when i go to the meet it would be cool to get some helpwiring them up! my dad says he can get them to work. ill let him take a stab at it first then go from there. he's pretty genius when it comes to that type of shit. i just suck at wireing things up. i suck at splicing wires or ''tapping'' wires.

I've been working on a "HOW TO" and will post it later tonight hopefully. It has detailed info on JDM colors and USDM colors. What wires go with what. Cali's How to Is great but thats for the people that want both headlights on at the same time.

bellefontaine187
03-22-2008, 06:28 PM
both headlights on at the same time? you mean like both beams on at the same time, like low and high? cus usually you want both headights on at the same time..lol....i know what you meant bro..lol

Reelax
03-23-2008, 08:30 AM
I've been working on a "HOW TO" and will post it later tonight hopefully. It has detailed info on JDM colors and USDM colors. What wires go with what. Cali's How to Is great but thats for the people that want both headlights on at the same time.

did CALI do a write up on JDM headlight wiring? i never saw it. u might be talking about my tutorial (i actualy helped CALI get them more flush when he first installed them on his old black 8G years ago since i was one of the first to do the headlight conversion). i wrote the JDM headlight tutorial that's in the "how to..." section almost 7 years ago (it has been reposted through 4 versions of TGC). almost everybody that has JDM heads on their USDM 8G's went by it w/ success. it may seem complicated since i did not add schematics or diagrams for a visual aid (i just did it all in text) but if you print it out and give the tutorial to just about any tech or stereo installer, they will be able to wire your lights to function correctly. btw, this is how they are supposed to work for those that have JDM headlights STOCK: low beam = outside pair on, hi beam = outisde AND inside pair on together. my tutorial provides the wiring plans to do this and can be accomplised either via diodes (on harness trigger wires) or by relays on the actual power wires.

if you missed it or never saw it, here u go:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=14544

bellefontaine187
03-24-2008, 05:42 PM
thanks man, and yeah youre right...it was your tutuorial not cali's.....i always get you two mixed up for some reason. lol but thanks for the info...imma print out your tutorial and give it to my dad and see if we can do it. he seems to think that itll be simple. i hope..lol

SleekGTZ
03-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Here's an old pic with JDM grill with USDM headlights. I say there's about a half inch gap (maybe less) on each side.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1425/oldmarch6fq.jpg

bellefontaine187
03-26-2008, 03:00 PM
wow that doesnt look bad at all. maybe i shouldve just been patient and tried to install the jdm grill with my usdm heads. oh well, the new jdm headlights are on the way and i cant wait till they get here. i ive wanted the real headlight/grill set up for a long time, but i did such a nice job modding the usdm grill to look like the vr4 grill, that i just said screw it and left it alone. then i started thinking about repainting the grill to black instaed on silver.....then i found a jdm grill for cheap...

just got in my jdm heads from japan.they came in the original box from the factory. these headlights are soo sick. perfect condition. they are used but you wouldnt know it man. sweat deal 200 bucks shipped to maine from japan in 4 days!all sockets bulbs and connectors with wires all intact and they even came with the mounting tabs for the grill. didnt know the jdm grill attatches to the headlights. cant wait to put these in and wire them up.

urggg....this is such a pain in the ass man......i love the way the headlights look but i just cant seem to get them to sit flush with the hood. ive cut the radiator support, cut plastic on the headlights...and still they dont want to sit flush. im geting sick of trying to figure this out...i may just say screw it and just sell these headlights.