PDA

View Full Version : Skweeling

galantsslow
03-22-2008, 03:55 PM
got a squealing problem in the fromt end when you first start the car in the morning.. Now first i had changed the crank puly cause myne broke in two and all the belts all are tight not to tight but just right and the carnk pully is balanced and tourques to spec..it also squeals when the stero is up or when getting offf hiway any I Dears

4-G-rim
03-22-2008, 04:00 PM
When you replaced your crank pulley..did you install new drive belts? IF so...readjust the tension on the belts.

If the problem continues it may be one of your pulleys (alternator, power steering, or A/C compressor) that is no spinning freely and causing friction to the belt causing the "squeeling".

galantsslow
03-22-2008, 05:51 PM
thats what i am sayig i replaced the pully and the belts so i will have to have the alternator and power steer in checked any other tips

eksz
03-24-2008, 01:00 AM
First you need to ID which belt is making the noise. It is possible the pulley is causing the problem but most likely it is the belt itself. Remove one belt at a time and then start the car to identify which one is making all the noise. If you get no noise when you start the car you know that belt you just removed is the one making the noise.

Once you have narrowed down the problem belt you can try replacing it with a top of the line belt (I like gates brand belts). Some new but cheaper belts just squeal no matter what you do.

FYI: I have had this problem on all the Galants I have owned. I've tried belt dressing, loosening and tighting the offending belt, replacement of the belt, ect. I believe there is a technical bulliten on this. If I can find it I will post the bulliten number and hopefully someone else will have access to what Mits sent out to its shops (I don't have access to the contents of the buiten, only thetech service bulliten number)

lonestar22
03-24-2008, 09:18 PM
mine squeels every time i start it cold for about 10-20seconds, its very embarassing

eksz
03-24-2008, 11:38 PM
This is the reference for the tech service bulletin on belt noise. Does anyone have the plain text for this bulletin?

SERVICE BULLETIN:97110116010 NHTSA ITEM NUMBER:54025

MFG Bulletin Date: 19971101

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE

Bulletin Summary: REPAIR INFORMATION FOR CORRECTING A COLD START GENERATOR DRIVE BELT NOISE CONDITION ON SOME VEHICLES. *YC