PDA

View Full Version : whine noise from the engine?

99 galant
03-24-2008, 06:22 PM
it has been happening for a while, but i just never thought anything of it. i thought it was bcuz of my heat or something. anyways, i hear it in the car but when i roll down the window i hear it so much more. its coming from under the hood. is it a belt or something? i want to fix what ever it is before it causes more probs

any thoughts? and i tried searching but didnt find anything.

DonttCare
03-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Mine does it too, check if its coming from the belt.

99 galant
03-24-2008, 06:30 PM
what belt.

mapid145
03-24-2008, 06:55 PM
the timing belt.. and if it whines doing a cold start during cold weather.. then its ur belt

EDIT: u know.. its funny how its such a common problem for alot of ppl.. and thye just DONT want to fix it

99 galant
03-24-2008, 07:02 PM
it doesnt whine during a cold start, my car does have trouble breaking if i dont let it warm up bcuz the engine races a bit, so i always try to let it warm up, how much would getting the timing belt replaced be?

spardavr4
03-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Yeah common problem. Mine was pretty bad except I was too lazy to fix it. I just had Mitsubishi tighten it for free when I had an oil change.

spardavr4
03-24-2008, 07:05 PM
it doesnt whine during a cold start, my car does have trouble breaking if i dont let it warm up bcuz the engine races a bit, so i always try to let it warm up, how much would getting the timing belt replaced be?

What do you mean it has trouble braking? As in it takes longer to brake? I think that's normal because when the engine is cold the engine idles higher so you go faster at start. Mine does the same thing. Your brake's should be fine unless the whining your hearing is actually coming from your brakes. You don't have to get it replaced. Just tighten it first. Look at it to see if it is worn out.

99 galant
03-24-2008, 07:06 PM
no, i know its bcuz the engine wants to go. the breaks are fine i was just saying it doesnt whine on a cold start

do you think i could have someone tighten it for free instead of changing it?

spardavr4
03-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Yeah, if it doesn't bother you too much just wait until you get an oil change. Unless you know of someone that can do it for you for free. Just make sure the belt isn't worn out or anything.

99 galant
03-24-2008, 07:10 PM
would it be better to just replace it? i have 103k miles, and i doubt it was ever done.
how much would it be?

seth98esT
03-24-2008, 07:12 PM
A whine could be a lot of things. Mainly a power steering pump thats low on fluid. A trans on its way out also will whine when in gear. Does it only whine when you turn the wheel? And its a whine and not a squeal right?

spardavr4
03-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Shouldn't be too much, it's not hard to do at all. I'd say $40-$60. My brother replaced his 7g alternator belt for $45.

99 galant
03-24-2008, 07:13 PM
seth, its not only when i turn the wheel, and its more of a whine with a tiny squeal here and there, i wish i could get a good sound clip but theres no way bcuz my luck it wont do it when i try, also from in the car its not loud enough, but i do believe its more of a whine then a squeal

edit: i would say its more of a squeal. my mom heard it too and i guess it is more of a squeal

99 galant
03-24-2008, 07:17 PM
so yea, forget the whole whine thing. i thought it was a whine but like i said i talked about it with my mom and now that i think of it, it is a squeal

sorry.

seth98esT
03-24-2008, 07:22 PM
If its a squeal its one of your accessory belts. Cheap($12) and easy to replace. Next time it is squealing, pop the hood and see which belt the sound is coming from. Might have to rev the motor a bit(whilst in park) to get it to squeal again.

99 galant
03-24-2008, 07:30 PM
thank you for your help seth, i appreciate it, maybe ill have one of my car buddys take a look with me, i hope i can find which belt it is becuz i usually only get the squeal at 30-40 or at higher speeds