PDA

View Full Version : Problem with ride height....

NRG
01-07-2003, 01:39 PM
I recently dropped my car with KYB AGX + Progress spring on the rear. I've then noticed one side is lower than the other side, what gives? Givin the condition that both tires are inflated the same amount, the two ride height shouldn't be different right? Right now on one side I can put only 1 finger between the well and tire and the other side I can put 2 fingers...

On the other note, when it was stock, it was already like this but I was thinking maybe my shocks were getting old so thats why......But now its still same.....

Anyone knows how to fix this problem?

mochanges
01-07-2003, 02:59 PM
I hate to tell you this, but it is possible that the springs may not have been "seated" in the correct position on the struts on the higher side. That would be the first thing to check. Also, make sure the strut bolted in properly at the top mount in the engine bay. Good luck.

-Mohammad

BlankMan
01-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Have you had your car since new? If not, there is always the chance it was previously wrecked and the lower point is a result of the repair or lack of repair. In any case, I suggest doing some comparison measuring on the left and right sides and see if they match up. For example, axle to top (underside) of strut, bottom of spring to top of spring, etc... don't forget forward and back measurements too - something bent this way or that could indirectly affect the compression of the spring or shock and therefore hieght.

Or maybe it's that extra big battery you dropped in https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

J

nrgizeman
01-07-2003, 04:30 PM
man... same problem here except i have stock struts.

NRG
01-07-2003, 05:17 PM
No, I've had my car since brand spanking new.....No wrecks no nothing.....

I guess I will just take it in for an alignment and see if they can fix the problem........

Danger DANJ
01-07-2003, 08:47 PM
I've noticed a similar thing with my car in the rear. I have Progress springs and KYB AGX in the rear. I never noticed anything when the car was stock, but with the drop, I noticed that sometimes the driver side sits higher than it should. But, I would drive the car and everything would look right again. I honestly think it has to do with the KYB AGX and maybe they aren't compressing or de-compressing all the way causing the car to sit higher. Possibly due to more weight on the drivers side since there isn't anyone else in the car. I think the reason it doesn't happen up front is because they are Koni's and not KYB.

NRG
01-07-2003, 09:41 PM
Hmmmm, I am just the opposite..My rear driver side sits lower than my other side.......

Auto-9
01-08-2003, 02:59 AM
My car sits lower up front than in the rear, and my driver side rear sits higher than the passenger side rear. Talk about funky...all with only Eibach Pro-Kit springs.

NRG
01-08-2003, 03:11 AM
Yeah, I think we should really look into this problem......I don't think its our spring problem...Although we don't feel a performance lost but its very annoying knowing one side is lower than the other.......

Nick VR4
01-08-2003, 03:18 AM
Dont forget about the Gas Tank
1 gallon = about 14lbs of weight this would cause a slight level difference

NRG
01-08-2003, 03:42 AM
I believe our tank is pretty centered........

Reelax
01-08-2003, 07:19 AM
have a look at the bushings... this is a pretty common problem w/ SUV's since they have longer travels so the leaning is more apperent. my old trooper leaned this way and it was due to the bushings.

NRG
01-08-2003, 02:06 PM
Reelax, so are you saying its design like this or its a bushing wear and tear?

Reelax
01-09-2003, 12:57 PM
yeah it was due to the bushing being worn unevenly. once we replacecd them it was good again.

NRG
01-09-2003, 01:33 PM
Hmmmmm, now thats something to look into........

EvoLuTioN
01-12-2003, 12:24 AM
i have the same problem with my progress springs and AGX's EXACTLY as NRG mentioned... 2 fingers fit in driver rear and 1 finger in passenger rear... weird !!!!

Auto-9
01-12-2003, 10:34 AM
Mine is 3 fingers all around with my drop...thing is the wheelwheel cut is higher up front than it is in the rear so my car slants downward.

BGR
01-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Man, all the drama you guys keep talking about in these posts about these KYB AGX struts is really detering me from buying them. I think I'll be the first to get the SprintTech Struts and save some $$$ and hopefully a headache.

*** Edit ***

Hmm. Maybe not. The part #'s for the ST Struts for the 8G are the same for the 2G Eclipse and 7G Galant. I KNOW that ain't right. Maybe I'll go with the Koni struts.

99DE
01-12-2003, 02:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'>Man, all the drama you guys keep talking about in these posts about these KYB AGX struts is really detering me from buying them. Â*I think I'll be the first to get the SprintTech Struts and save some $$$ and hopefully a headache.

*** Edit ***

Hmm. Â*Maybe not. Â*The part #'s for the ST Struts for the 8G are the same for the 2G Eclipse and 7G Galant. Â*I KNOW that ain't right. Â*Maybe I'll go with the Koni struts.</div>

No drama here with my AGX's. When you installed the springs, did they cut the bump stops in half? Would that have anything to do with it? Also, the thing that sucks with these AGX'is the rear seats have to be removed to set the setting. So, also check to make sure each side is set at the setting you wanted.

EvoLuTioN
01-13-2003, 01:28 AM
HOLD UP... 99DE... you have to take your seats out to change settings??? alls i gotta do is reach inside the rear wheel and turn the dial...

i'm so confused...

TJC
01-13-2003, 02:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EvoLuTioN)</div><div class='quotemain'>HOLD UP... 99DE... you have to take your seats out to change settings??? alls i gotta do is reach inside the rear wheel and turn the dial... Â*

i'm so confused...</div>

That's what I thought... that the rear AGX adjustment's are made on the side of the shocks and not at the top (but what do I know, I don't have KYB's, lol).

NRG
01-13-2003, 03:02 AM
Thats what I thought at the beginning too....The dial ones like the ones for the Accord are the 8 way adjustables............The ones where you adjust on top are the 4 way adjustables..........

Sucks how we don't get the ones with dials......That way it makes it so much easier to adjust without taking out the seats.........

EvoLuTioN
01-13-2003, 02:55 PM
You Guys Are Missing My Point...

we DO get the ones w/ the dials on the side... i have them on my car now... i still have the boxes somewhere in my garage... i'll post the part #'s later tonight when i get home...

i ordered the rears for the 2k1 Eclipse from Cox...

that's why i'm saying i don't understand why 99DE says he has to take his seats off...

hey 99DE... do you have the part # of your rears???

this is very interesting...

EvoLuTioN
01-13-2003, 03:03 PM
Reelax... that makes a whole lotta sense about the bushings... you know i completely forgot that when i installed my rears... that big round rubber piece that sits just on top of the spring itself was like ripped... which would definately in my opinion make up for 1 fingers height...

good call...
i'll replace em and look into it...
will take some time though...

NRG
01-13-2003, 04:30 PM
Today I checked all around for ride height differences. My rear driver side is lower than my rear passenger side. My front driver side is higher than my front passenger side.........

I am not sure why this is but its worth looking into......The difference of 1 finger pisses me off.......I am going to take it to the dealer to have them take a look......

Danger DANJ
01-13-2003, 08:04 PM
My KYB AGX rears have the adjustment at the top. I have to take the rear seat out to get to it. I got them from tirerack.com along time ago. I believe they were listed for a 2000 Eclipse. Maybe KYB has changed the design?

peanotation
01-13-2003, 08:11 PM
it's probably a wheel alignment issue. i'm not lowered (soon will be though...hopefully) and i work at a car garage. on some people's cars, one wheels sits higher up in the wheel well than another one does. after the alignment, the wheels are all perfect. it might be bad caster or camber, depending on how the wheels sits on the strut/shock.

and it's definatly not the gas tank.

NRG
01-13-2003, 08:21 PM
But this issue existed when my suspension was stock too....

Cali
01-13-2003, 10:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>My KYB AGX rears have the adjustment at the top. I have to take the rear seat out to get to it. I got them from tirerack.com along time ago. I believe they were listed for a 2000 Eclipse. Maybe KYB has changed the design?</div>

no it cant be. i just ordered a pair last wednesday and my adjustment is on top too...evolution are you sure you got the right set? it's possilbe you got the wrong ones.

peanotation
01-13-2003, 10:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>But this issue existed when my suspension was stock too....
</div>

hmm....the only think i can summarize is that maybe it's a common problem with galants. i know that didn't help anything or anyone, but cars have been known to all have a similair problem in a certain year. i should check my car too, maybe i just havn't noticed....

EvoLuTioN
01-13-2003, 11:18 PM
you guys will NEVER believe what i found out...
the ones listed for the 3g Eclipse are 741020
the AGX's i was sent from Coximport were part # 741019 :shock:

listed for that # are the following applications...

95-99 Chrysler Sebring (Exc. Convertible)
95-98 Dodge Avenger
95-97 Eagle Talon 2WD
95-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2WD

now i never cross referenced the part number since i got them... i just installed em & that was it...

i believe i may have stumbled onto something...

1. we may have available to us other vendors who currently offer the above applications (but not 8G rears)...

2. i have 8 way adjustable rear shocks... everyone else has 4 way... 8)

this is so friggin weird... but kinda cool... i've had absolutely NO PROBLEM with these bad boys either... guess i kinda lucked out...

Danger DANJ
01-14-2003, 12:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EvoLuTioN)</div><div class='quotemain'>you guys will NEVER believe what i found out... Â*
the ones listed for the 3g Eclipse are 741020
the AGX's i was sent from Coximport were part # 741019 Â*:shock: Â*

listed for that # are the following applications... Â*

95-99 Chrysler Sebring (Exc. Convertible)
95-98 Dodge Avenger Â*
95-97 Eagle Talon 2WD Â*
95-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2WD Â*

now i never cross referenced the part number since i got them... i just installed em & that was it... Â*

i believe i may have stumbled onto something... Â*

1. we may have available to us other vendors who currently offer the above applications (but not 8G rears)... Â*

2. i have 8 way adjustable rear shocks... everyone else has 4 way... Â*8) Â*

this is so friggin weird... but kinda cool... i've had absolutely NO PROBLEM with these bad boys either... guess i kinda lucked out...</div>

Yeah, those cars do pretty much have the same rear suspension as our 8G's. Click here ('http://www.ingallseng.com/parts/3586.html') and notice that the camber kit I have from Ingalls fits those same cars.