PDA

View Full Version : Gawd Zooks ! My Tranny :( Arg...

Eclipse97526
03-27-2008, 09:48 AM
I know i know, this thing has lead a hard life, and now with a fesh motor in her, she isint bieng as " Grandpa-ish" On the transmission as it used to be, and i know i need an eclipse 5 spd to drop in here. But i cant seem to find one, And basicly. here is my problem, I have been battling a series of leaks, after a friend helped me rebuild my motor. I have now gotten every leak, except one, and im sure that it is not anything that we touched, My auto trans was leaking VERY slowly, And i couldnt find the leak, so i took it and washed up the trans Real good. Either going to...

a. clean up the trans so i can see where its coming from.

b. Clean off the dirt thats clogging what ever is leaking. and make the trans leak worse.

Well id say i have not lossed a noticable ammount of trans fluid till i washed it, now i can definatly tell that im 95 % sure that it is leaking from the RTV Silicone that is around the Automatic Trans Oil Pan. Its like side mounted so its kinda funky. ( after i cleaned it, i nocied the gasket material that was exposed was Very brittle, and just broke right off. Well now the leak is worse today, i prolly lost 1/4 Quart of that Diamond SPF II or what ever it takes, that expencive shit.

I was wondering, can i just buy this gasket, drain my fluid, drop the pan, fill her back up. and be good to go ? or am i going to need a trans pump to circulate the fluid threw the trans ? At operating tempature, it is not visably leaking, But the Fluid level is right inbetween Hot and cold. when it used to be all the way up. Im ope to any and all imput on this. Transmission pan gasket that i am asuming is the problem. I dont think the fluid could really leak any other way.

Ill go take some pics and post in my next reply to better assist anyone on providing accurate information.

Orginally, my radiator line was leaking on the O2 sensor which shorted that out on startup, that was leakin on the trans lines, and was cracking my transmission to radiator lines. and that was the source of the leak, but thats all new, and clean and been and stayed dry. The problem is the drips on the bottom getting bigger ;(

Eclipse97526
03-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Well i took some pictures, and it almost looks like its trany fluid + antifreeze ontop of the trans... Ummm... Im going to go wash the top of my engine off and shit, then im going to go to the shop and throw my car up on the lift, I will have better pictures when i get back, im starting to get really worried about this. going to use engine brite, and wash her top and bottom, spotless.

first thing i noticed was Well this...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/eclipse97526/S5031547.jpg

a closer look, the camera shows antifreeze, its invisble to the naked eye. Or un se-able with the color of the trans fluid. Im hoping this is from when my radiator hose was cracked, and same with the trans coolant lines. thats the only way that i can figure it would be on the top, unless it was one of the little bango bolt oil lines on the top of the trans or something.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/eclipse97526/S5031544.jpg

its definatly trans fluid. and anti freeze.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/eclipse97526/S5031557.jpg

This is where i thought it was leaking from. i wipped it off before i drove home. 10 mins prior . no chance to leak.
was glossy wet looking. was dry when i left work.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/eclipse97526/S5031552.jpg

i noticed the small puddle developing underneath the trans. Was dripping off the little plastic water guard covering the trans ( the plastic piece that sticks down ) Was pooling up on that, and dripping off.

Eclipse97526
03-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Well i would say that now that it has been cleaned, and has been a day, of checking it several times, it appears to definatly be the Gasket around the Transmission oil pan, all the other seals appear to be ok. but i cant get a good look at them. How hard would this gasket be to change on the 4g64 motor ? ( trans Oil pan gasket ) do they even make a gasket, or it looks like it was just the factory orange RTV .

RAZ_76
03-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Judging by the photos, I say the leak is from the lines running to the transmission cooler. Those tend to leak if moved or pushed by accident. I had that issue and the fluid collected at the top. Those hard lines have to seat perfectly or they will leak.

Eclipse97526
04-05-2008, 03:41 AM
i cleaned that all up, i have came to find out that it is just a transmission oil pan gasket that is leaking, orginally , it was because i had 1/2 inch lines insalled to the aftermarket transmission cooler, but i went back to 3/8 ths with the proper fittings, and now got rid of all thoes leaks, cleaned it all up, and its drippin from the trans pan gasket. So i gotta fix that ;) Hopefully that will solve my problem. But a 5spd would more solve my problem, Nice legenum BTW :)

duh2150
04-05-2008, 11:15 AM
lol cool, he dotn got a legnum, unless he bought one without me knowing, hope you fix it or buy a 5 speed like i did lol but my auto tranny didnt leak, it blew up inside blew up.. :( lol

Stewi
04-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Well i would say that now that it has been cleaned, and has been a day, of checking it several times, it appears to definatly be the Gasket around the Transmission oil pan, all the other seals appear to be ok. but i cant get a good look at them. How hard would this gasket be to change on the 4g64 motor ? ( trans Oil pan gasket ) do they even make a gasket, or it looks like it was just the factory orange RTV .

I dont know how else to say this but be straight forward with it. How in the hell is the pan gasket leaking tranny fluid on the top of the tranny? What about gravity Gravity? Like Rax said, check those lines and also check the gasket on the tranny fluid filter. Those lines have little copper washers that seal it one under the bolt head and one under the hardline. Is it possible that maybe the fluid on the top of the tranny isnt from a leak and its just from when you guys disconnected everything when you pulled the motor?

Eclipse97526
08-27-2008, 03:45 PM
ya, i dont know, that whole thing was wierd. I did have a leak in my tranny lines, but it was on the bottom, i dont know how the hell the fluid got up ontop of the trans. I cleaned it out, and it hasnt came back, But the pan gasket is still leaking a bit. VERY very little anyways. This is on my list of things to do :)