PDA

View Full Version : Turbo engine swap

94galant
01-07-2003, 08:19 PM
i was wondering if anyone knew how hard it was to swap a 4g63 turbo motor into a galant. i have been wondering about this and wanting to try it for some time, if anyone knows about this let me know. thanks

g96nt
01-07-2003, 08:29 PM
easy peasy...

takes less than a day, including Wiring

buy yourself a motor, ECU, and wiring harness

install, start, and have fun

no.. really
it's that easy

seth98esT
01-07-2003, 09:29 PM
so would you say this is easier than a head swap and what not?

which is more worth while? the 4g64 hybrid is capable of making more power right? i dunno what i want to do yet

NRG
01-07-2003, 09:34 PM
If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it...........According to Manybrews (Mitsu mechanic), even swapping a Galant v6 with the I4 takes lots of work.......

manybrews
01-07-2003, 10:51 PM
its NOT easy, nor cheap.

but anything is do-able, provided you have the time, patience, money, and resources.

Dark Anghell
01-07-2003, 11:10 PM
You have to remember a few things. Or one that I came up with so far https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif ...Galants wiring was changed in 1996. All of the 96+ models (also all GS models) have ECU that is very similar (the plugs are) as the eclipse turbo, which means the rest of the plugs might be the same. I also believe the 96+ galants became OBD 2.
As for 94-95 galants...the wiring and the ECU are different, and they are OBD 1. Sooo it will probably require more time on the wiring.

My friend is doing an SR20DET motor swap, and I've been helping him with the install. Pulling the motor out was the easiest thing to do, and putting the new motor in was fairly easy (5-10 min, 4 people, and a lift). The time consuming part #1 are all of the hoses, vacuum lines, fuel lines and stuff like that. This is where frequent trips to autoparts store are being made to get different types of hoses.

After that the time consuming part #2 comes in...the wiring. On my friends car it required changing the pin locations on every single plug around the fuse box in the engine bay (it might differ in 4g63 swap). As of right now my friends car is still not drivable.

g96nt
01-07-2003, 11:51 PM
no, really....

if you have a weekend, and the required parts...

it's Do-able

in fact.. I've done it

although it Took 3 months to build the motor (buying part-by-part)

it Took less than 5 hours to do the splicing of the Wiring, and the haress I have hanging in the closet.. is Expected To take Approx 3 hours to swap fully.. from cabin to headlights to airbag sensors.

if you aren't So mechanically inclined as I... have Someone Else do it... but I'd expect less than 15 hours labor + parts

BEAST
01-08-2003, 12:25 AM
I have a few questions to add. I have heard about a 6 bolt and 7 bolt 4g63. Whats the difference and which ones better. I have also heard the that buying a 1g engine is better don't know why though. And where is a good cheap place to buy this engine. I have some parts junkyards around but most of the engine stuff is picked off of them already. Also I have an auto. Did they make the 6g63t with an auto tranny?

94galant
01-08-2003, 02:47 PM
one more question, will it bolt up to my tranny and how hard would it be to convert it to a five speed? it would be nice but it sounds like it would be tricky so id be happy to stick with my auto as long as i had the turbo motor.

Dark Anghell
01-08-2003, 06:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BEAST)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have a few questions to add. Â*I have heard about a 6 bolt and 7 bolt 4g63. Â*Whats the difference and which ones better. Â*I have also heard the that buying a 1g engine is better don't know why though. Â*And where is a good cheap place to buy this engine. Â*I have some parts junkyards around but most of the engine stuff is picked off of them already. Â*Also I have an auto. Â*Did they make the 6g63t with an auto tranny?</div>
Main difference between 6 and 7 bolt is the reliability. The 7 bolt motors have what people call "crank walk" which means after a period of time the crank starts to wabble, and you have to overhaul your bottom end. But good news is that the problem can be prevented by installing different bearings and oil-jet eliminator kit from magnus motorsports. Also people claim that if you re-route oil feed line to the turbo, remove balance shaft, and make the engine start without pressing clutch pedal, crank-walk problem will be eliminated.
Usually most of the 1st gen eclipses came with a 6 bolt motos accept for a 94 model which came with a 7 bolt. If you want to learn more differences between the two motors check out http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/crankwalktheory.htm ('http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/crankwalktheory.htm')

Turbo eclipses did come with automatic tranny. So you can probably swap your stock AT for stock turbo AT (can handle more torque/hp)

You can also do a 5-speed conversion, so far I know one person who's done it. It's a fairly simple task because galant's have all of the holes marked and some pre-drilled allready. It will require about 400+ dollars worth of parts plus the cost of the tranny itself.

Personally I wouldn't suggest using your stock AT, because it will eventually die, and you're gona have to pull it out and replace it. It's much easier to do it when the engine is out of the car.

Oh and for the engines here's a good link to check out http://www.roadraceengineering.com/4g63motorsearch.htm ('http://www.roadraceengineering.com/4g63motorsearch.htm') or mitsubishigraveyard.com ('http://mitsubishigraveyard.com'), umm lets see who else...www.DSMtrader.com ('http://www.DSMtrader.com'). Also check out yellowpages for shops that specialize in engines.
When you look for an engine try to get one with the harness allready attached to it...makes things easier.

Ok I'm taking a brake from all this typing https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif [/url]

JiP
01-11-2003, 04:11 AM
Why would you drop your 2.4 for a 2.0 turbo? Mitsu took the 2.0 block and bored out the cyls so thats how you get the extra .4 in your 2.4. With that said, basically everything 2.0 mounts to your 2.4block, I have a 2.0 cyl head and most of the parts for my turbo setup, late summer I should have the rest of my parts and will be swapping to a DOHC 2.0 cyl head and throwing a turbo on that, keeping the rest of my stuff, 2.4block, autotrany...many people have done this already if you want to know a lot more about it join 4g64 group on egroups its all they really talk about all day.

Only problem is I would rather not swap ECU's becuase uh im a cheap bastard and 2g eclipse ecu's from an a/t car never show up on ebay...so The 4g64 throttle body mounts to 4g63 intake, but I do not know what to do about distributer cap cause there is non on 4g64 eclipse's so swappin heads for them is simple. Us galant dudes have to swap to eclipse ecu and buy coilpacks to get rid of the dam distributer setup. If I can find a camsensor that fits the dohc head that I could mount a distributer cap to im set..otherwise uh i need an ecu.

Dark Anghell
01-11-2003, 08:54 PM
check DSM trader, they have ECU's for sale all the time.
As for 2.0L VS 2.4...it's a very old battle as to which one to get...some people like the reliability of 4g63t as is, and others like the power potential of 4g64t.
As for the block...it's not the same. The block gets the 2.4L displacement by having much larger stroke, and it is bored a little bit more than the 2.0L motor. But they are very similar, everything from a 2.0L bolts right onto the 2.4L

So once again 4g63 is peoples personal preference.

g96nt
01-12-2003, 08:40 AM
the 4g64 has 1.5mm larger bore
and a +12mm stroke (6 up, 6 down)

redboy
01-12-2003, 12:56 PM
uhhh which generation talon/eclipse, as in year, to do the swap???

g96nt
01-12-2003, 07:01 PM
to keep it simple As possible? you want a 93+

if you are going all-out. 90, 91

don't bother with 92.. too much hassle Worrying about which half of the year you get =0]

BEAST
01-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Now that I know the difference between the 7 and 6 bolt engines what is the difference between the long and short block engines? Besides the obvious. Or does it matter?

2True
01-13-2003, 02:24 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g96nt)</div><div class='quotemain'>to keep it simple As possible? you want a 93+

don't bother with 92.. too much hassle Worrying about which half of the year you get =0]</div>

Mine's a '92... right now we're saving up for a TD05-16G 8) To get it into the 300+hp range. Thought about the 20G but the engine as it is will not survive such an upgrade.

Why should I be worried what part of 1992 the car was made in, Craig?

g96nt
01-13-2003, 09:34 AM
if you have the motor, just count how many bolts are holdign the flywheel to the Crank and, if you have 6... every part you order for your motor should be "91" if you count 7 bolts.. order parts from '93+

shortblock = block piston, rings, bearings, oil pump

longblock = shortblock + everything else

redboy
01-15-2003, 03:08 PM
yo, would a galant vr4 jdm engine fit on my tranny, just the engine. they said it was the first gen, but i need to know asap......

sabzi5858
01-16-2003, 11:42 PM
yeah, it'll fit, i have one in my car. just a note to add, i suggest getting a 2nd gen ECU unless ofcourse you like extra wiring.. i'm not certain but i think i lost my airbags because i'm using a partially 1st gen wiring harness

JiP
01-16-2003, 11:58 PM
Arent the air bags a completely seperate controller? Last time I checked the wiring diagrams of our ECU I dont think the ECU had any connection at all to the airbag controller. But I could be wrong.

You could always pull out the armrest and wack the controller with a rubber mallet and see if your airbags explode...if they do their working!

sabzi5858
01-17-2003, 07:31 PM
the airbags are indeed controlled with a seperate computer under the armrest storage bin, but i cut a few of the wiring harnesses to shreds to make a smaller harness which may or may not have had the wiring for the airbags. i believe one of the sensors for the airbags is in the passenger fender right next to the battery, if i am correct, there is probably no connection between the airbag computer and that sensor.. enh, whatever, i think my dad screwed over my airbags anyways when he was trying to fix the recirculation fan

Dark Anghell
01-22-2003, 08:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g96nt)</div><div class='quotemain'>to keep it simple As possible? you want a 93+

don't bother with 92.. too much hassle Worrying about which half of the year you get =0]</div>

Tell me if I'm wrong but the main difference in the 1'st gen motors is the engine mount on the timing belt side. But that can be fixed by using our 4g64 engine mount and trimming it a little bit? Are there any wiring differences?

Speaking of wiring...a conversion diagram for all the plugs would be nice to have. Just to save other people time and money...just a thought.

g96nt
01-23-2003, 10:49 PM
I have it here
I offer it To anyone

I have The instructions to Re-wire your 1996 wiring harness so it mimics a 95 GSX Ecu

just ask, I can e-mail it on over

well.. ina grand scheme of things way.. yeah.

6 bolt, or 7 bolt 1g motor... either way, you have to remove the two roll-stoppers, and machine the motor-mount. (also, you have To do something about the timing-belt side motor mount thingy withthe two studs aiming upwards)

now, if you buy 7-bolt 1g.. you're good from there, just Replace the oil-pump with a 95 pump that has provisions for a cam Angle sensor

if you buy a 6-bolt, you are more or less Forced to do the :"1g in a 2g" setup I like ot Call it the "1g in a 2g in a 7g" =0]

Dark Anghell
01-24-2003, 07:51 PM
Ok so to make my job easier...I should do the 7 bolt motor huh?

When I checked magnus motorsports website they only mentioned the timing belt side motor mount, and didn't say anything about the rest of the mounts. I better check it out again (that was a few months ago).

g96nt
01-24-2003, 07:56 PM
well, you just pull them off (the Roll-stoppers) IIRC it's 2 17mm bolts/mount

and the one with the points, can be removed, or you can double-nut the studs out (it's good to keep, incase of motor removal)

I have a 6-bolt... and took me only an Additional hour to change my car from 7-bolt set-up to a 6-bolt set-up. including the wiring =0/

but, yes, pavel

if you use a 95+ motor, it would LITERALLY take you ~10 hours to turn your SOHC 2.4L into a DOHC 2L turbo

Dark Anghell
01-25-2003, 10:57 AM
cool...cool https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif Now since I would be changing over to a 5 speed I found a guy who is selling the whole conversion kit starting from pedals, and finishing it off with clutch lines for 300 bucks...but it's made for a 1st. gen eclipse. I'm not sure if it's going to fit.

As for the engine...I am leaning towards 6 bolt...don't want to worry about the crank-walk.