PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 oil problem

RODSS67
01-07-2003, 09:54 PM
I have read the post in regards to the V6 oil consumption. I have a 94 ES with a 2.4 with 150,000 mi.After idling for approx 5 minutes, I get a puff of smoke then it clears. The car just sat for 2 weeks and upon starting it for the first time it smoked for the first 1/2 to 1 mile when I accelerated then cleared. It uses about 1 qt every 1000 to 12 https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif 00 miles. Does this sound like seals, guides or rings. My check engine light also started coming on periodically. I read on another forum that this could also be bad plug wires. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

manybrews
01-07-2003, 10:55 PM
I have read the post in regards to the V6 oil consumption. I have a 94 ES with a 2.4 with 150,000 mi.After idling for approx 5 minutes, I get a puff of smoke then it clears. The car just sat for 2 weeks and upon starting it for the first time it smoked for the first 1/2 to 1 mile when I accelerated then cleared. It uses about 1 qt every 1000 to 12 https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif 00 miles. Does this sound like seals, guides or rings. My check engine light also started coming on periodically. I read on another forum that this could also be bad plug wires. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
okay.. its probably valve guides/seal. rather common on higher milage mitsus, especially with the symptons you speak of.
1 quart every 1000 to 1200 miles is still within acceptable limits (hell, mitsu wont do anything to a NEW car unless it uses more than a quart per thousand). so id not worry about it. its not worth doing anything, as its not cost effective, and it wont eliminate oil consumption totally, just reduce it.
the check engine light can be turned on by any of 60 different things. basically, ANYTHING that raises emmision levels triggers the light. could be a misfire, could be a failed catalytic converter, could be any one of the engine sensors failing, etc.etc. you NEED to have it checked out professionally.