PDA

View Full Version : 30k Maintenance

Auto-9
01-08-2003, 03:28 AM
Yes believe it or not this is car problems, but it's for you folks to be aware of. I went to pick up my car after they were done and the service advisor told me they took care of some warranty issues which perked up my ears. The following were supposedly "common" Galant related 30k mile problems that were on my car (and apparently many others they've done): 1) Rear suspension popping noises. Turns out it's not the Crapyears after all. Something about the trailing arms and being moved to the hubs. 2) Hoses. They were not tight at all which I guess made making it to 30k miles even more amazing. Solution was to retighten. Surprisingly enough though they said my brakes were just fine...even though I haven't had maintenance done on them for about 17000 miles. Guess that shoots the crappy factory brakes theory to pieces for my car.

Tazz2000
01-08-2003, 08:16 AM
I'm coming up to mine sometime this weekend or next weekend. I have already had to replace my brakes, but I haven't done anything to my suspension yet. I was waiting for the stock system to go out first. Might as well use it to it's fullest. :biggrin: I know I have to do the tranny fluid, and have all of the belts checked n stuff, but Manybrews, what all is truly needed for a 30k checkup? I just want to make sure my dealership is telling me what is needed as opposed to giving them a way to get a short cash flow.

peanotation
01-08-2003, 08:50 AM
yeah, the rear suspension on my 7G drives me crazy. when i'm moving at 10mph or less (parking lots usually), and there's slight turns, the right rear shock makes a lot of noise. it sounds like someone loosened the bolts that hold it to the car, and it's shifting around. it's very quiet, but it drives me crazy. i need to get a kit if i wanna fix it, but it's not that important. just annoying as HELL.

pinoyesv6
01-08-2003, 10:59 AM
hey Tazz, i scanned the service intervals that came with my car's owners manual and its in the FAQ. some of em u can tackle urself and some of them are just things the mechanic finds and is just part of preventive maintenance and stuff like that.

Tazz2000
01-08-2003, 12:26 PM
I went to Mitsu's web site, and they have a service schedule. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif So I'm gonna review that with my dealer's schedule.

Auto-9
01-08-2003, 01:04 PM
I forgot to mention the third item fixed under warranty that I had no idea about...my passenger side front window was out of spec. I'm surprised they caught all of this without me knowing or telling them to look over the car. Guess my complaints finally hit management https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

BlueESV6
01-08-2003, 09:40 PM
I did nothing for a 30K mile "tune up"... just changed oil like normal. Car's running great and saved a bunch of $$$. I think the dealers "find" things to be able to charge the manufacturer since still under "bumper to bumper warranty"... :shock:

Auto-9
01-08-2003, 10:01 PM
Well at 30k they recommend the tranny flush and fluid change so that was the big chunk of my 400 bucks. They also recommended coolant maintenance at 30k so I had that done as well. Those two combined made up the majority of my 400 bucks, and the tranny is all the better for it. Neither of which I could have ever dreamed of being able to do by myself.

BlueESV6
01-09-2003, 05:58 AM
Yea... the tranni fluid was expensive!! (like $5 a quart) and mine used 6 quarts when I changed it! But it was not much worse than changing the oil... just a different fluid and you DON'T want to over/under fill!

mrjaydeeone
01-09-2003, 03:56 PM
My car has 30,115 miles on it...should I really get this job done...
or should I do it myself....what exactly does it entail

Auto-9
01-09-2003, 07:06 PM
Well according to my dealership provided maintenance booklet at 30k they do an oil change, tranny flush, coolant stuff, rotate tires, inspect drive shaft and boots, and I think that's about it...don't have it handy with me.