PDA

View Full Version : Springs (Again) - Progress or Eibach best?

BlankMan
01-08-2003, 05:21 PM
I've found Progress for $169 shipped and the Eibach for $175 shipped. Anyone had both and can say which is better? I know the drop is different - but only by .4" - not a huge difference, I think. The Eiback might be better for me given the condition of the roads here - but I don't want an ungodly amount of wheel well gap left, either. Oh the choices.

Looking for advice - thanks.
J

Tiptronic
01-08-2003, 05:27 PM
i run progress, but if i get this kit, then i think my car might sit too low. i love how it sits though.

NRG
01-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Actually .4 is alot of difference......Thats almost half an inch.....But if you are not looking for a lower ride then go for the Eibach as they are a more reputable company vs the Progress Technology.

HeadAche
01-08-2003, 07:23 PM
I'd go with the Eibach, they got a lot of stroke in the whole scene..

Lazarus
01-08-2003, 07:27 PM
where can you Get Eibachs for that price?

mrjaydeeone
01-08-2003, 07:27 PM
I got progress....
www.groupbuycenter.com is running a deal on them right now
and I got mine from www.optauto.com

NRG
01-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Now I kinda regret that I got Progress because its just not low enough for my taste.....Should of waited for the coilovers...I want the tires to tuck under the fender.....

HondaKillerGTZ
01-08-2003, 08:35 PM
Eibach have a good ride

Dilemma
01-10-2003, 08:59 AM
Where did you find progress springs for $169 shipped? Personally from looks standpoint i would go progress however i have been told eibach gives a better ride. I havin the same dilemma https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

BlankMan
01-10-2003, 11:27 AM
There is a group buy at www.groupbuycenter.com right now for Progress. If you want to use the 2000+ eclipse springs, it's only $119 + $20 shipping. I emailed the guy and he said he would sell the 99+ Galant springs (it's a different number and rate from the Eclipse) for $149+$20 shipping - hence $169 shipped. Need his contact info? let me know.

As for the eibach for $175, they are being offered in our own For Sale Forum. Not sure there are alot of sets, though - and it is the model/number for the 2000+ eclipse. http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6735 ('http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6735').

Those are the best *shipped* prices I have found on both - if anyone's found lower, let me know!

I'm guess I'm kinda particular about getting parts specific to the galant. I mean, I know there are many interchangeable parts for the Galant and Eclipse, but if they make a different part number specifically for the Galant, that tells me there is some difference - however menial it might be.

Thanks to all for the input - though my quandry still remains and I need to figure out by this weekend... :?

J

BGR
01-10-2003, 12:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KrAzYWARA)</div><div class='quotemain'>Where did you find progress springs for $169 shipped? Personally from looks standpoint i would go progress however i have been told eibach gives a better ride. I havin the same dilemma https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>

They probably give a better ride because they don't make your car sit as low as Progress springs. When comparing the two springs, the rebound of the Eibach isn't as great as the Progress.

Dilemma
01-10-2003, 12:28 PM
Thanks Rich,

Personally i always had a liking to Progress cause of the lower drop.

BGR
01-10-2003, 12:45 PM
You're welcome. I imagine that once you put some aftermarket struts on, with the Progress springs, the difference between the Eibach and Progress will probably not be noticeable at all and basically it all depends on YOUR Galant, as everybody's car is different. I mean, I'm still using stock struts with my Progress springs and I don't mind it at all. The struts aren't worn out. I'm not bouncing all over the place after every little bump or pot hole. I don't have to slow down to a stop when crossing over speed bumps or rail road tracks. But I will admit, the ride quality isn't as good as when I first had them installed at 15,000 on the ODO.

Myself, I'll be buying some KYB AGX's with in a month or two, just because I'm about to hit 50,000 on the ODO and it would be a good idea to replace the struts at this time.

B19WHEELS
01-12-2003, 06:00 AM
Im the guy selling the Eibach springs for $175. Yea they are for the 2000+ Eclipse but if you dont know, the 3g Eclipse and the 8g Galant have the same suspension. The Eibach springs for the Eclipse has better spring rate than the Galant.To see more go to the Part Review Forum(3g Eclipse vs 8g Galant Pro-kit). What means more to you guys riding low and bouncing around or riding low and riding comfortable? I had these springs on my 99 Galant so i know first hand how good they ride!!! And almost all the guys from the GA Chapter have these same springs(REL,ANT,Knight Rider). No complants on ride quality and only 1.5 fingers between front fender and tire(225-40-18). Back almost tucking wheel with no camber adjustmest needed. Ohhh yea i still got a couple boxes available!!!!! Holla Back!!!

B19WHEELS

BlankMan
01-12-2003, 10:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B19WHEELS)</div><div class='quotemain'>...Yea they are for the 2000+ Eclipse but if you dont know, the 3g Eclipse and the 8g Galant have the same suspension. ...

B19WHEELS</div>

I'm not questioning the quality of the springs - I know from my Prelude days Eibach rock. But, based soley on the fact Progress has 2 separate part numbers for the Eclipse and Galant spring sets - and the Galant's cost an average of $50 more - I don't agree the Galant and Eclipes have exaclty the same suspension. I would say the Galant has a heavier (not stiffer) spring rate or construction based on increased spring cost, cwt, etc. No?

J

BGR
01-12-2003, 12:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm not questioning the quality of the springs - I know from my Prelude days Eibach rock. Â*But, based soley on the fact Progress has 2 separate part numbers for the Eclipse and Galant spring sets - and the Galant's cost an average of $50 more - I don't agree the Galant and Eclipes have exaclty the same suspension. Â*I would say the Galant has a heavier (not stiffer) spring rate or construction based on increased spring cost, cwt, etc. Â*No?

J</div>

I'm inclined to agree with you about the suspension between the two cars are slightly different but perhaps not, as I believe the OEM part #'s between the two cars are identicle. The only real difference between the two is the shape of the car, interior and weight. The 3G Eclipse is basically the sports coupe version of the Galant, just like the Stratus and Avenger being siblings to each other. Probably other small differences, like the size of the engine compartment but beyond that most of the internal parts are the same. Saves on cost.

Regarding the Progress Springs, who's to really know if the Eclipse Progress spring and the Galant spring aren't really the same spring? Perhaps they are and they're just marketed under different part numbers. You, me and everyone else has bought into the fact that they have two separate #'s and believe they are two different products but I can only vouch for the Galant spring and I have never seen the Eclipse spring, nor have I matched the two next to each other and said, "Yep. They are different." I would bet any amount of money that the Eclipse products far outsell the Galant products so why would they waste money on making two separate products? Other spring manufactures obviously don't. Yes, there probably is a difference between the I4 and the V6 springs but I kind of doubt that, too. I bet either one would fit either car with no fitment problems. The only possibly problem I see is that either way, one may cause the car to ride a little more bouncy or more stiff. The struts are still the same, it's just the difference between the engine weights is causing the V6 to compress lower than the I4. I could be wrong, though, but perhaps not. Like I said, other spring manufactures just list for 99-02 Galants and have 1 part # and this # is the same for the 3G Eclipse.

Changing the part # and marketing it for another car and charging more is considered smart business. Make more money off the same product and reach a larger consumer base. I believe the Stratus cars use the same springs, too. I know they use the same brakes as the 3G Eclipse and 8G Galant.

B19WHEELS
01-12-2003, 05:38 PM
Believe me people when i say i know what i am talking bout. I have many years of knowledge with the Mitsu cars. Many parts off the Mitsu cars are the same.(Ex mass air flow sensors are the same on just bout all the cars)Im not sure but i think i was the 1st to put a 2nd gen Eclipse intake on a 8g Galant(Iceman) also to put those same Eibach springs on a 8g Galant. Intake was done in Feb 2000 and springs in Mar 2000. The 3g Eclipse springs are about 1/4inch shorter(maybe little more) than the 8g Galant springs but they are the same width. Most car parts are interchangeable it keeps cost down which is smart for the manufactures saves them money. The 8g Galant also has a the crank which is a upgrade for the 4g63 motor, which means we can also put on a crank pulley off a 4g63 motor.Its all about marketing. Ive tinkered with my friend 99 Galant before i even got 1 plus the friends that i have that work for Mits i think i might have a little more truth behide what i say than hear say! All the spring manufactures wont tell you that the springs are interchangeable, keeps there pockets fat!!!! Holla back....