PDA

View Full Version : High Compression Pistons?

evil-G-nius
01-09-2003, 02:59 AM
What is the highest compression pistons available for us 7gers? I have a 96 S and I just got a new engine. I want to squeeze as much hp from the '64 without major mods as I can. I was thinking about getting higher compression pistons, race cam, cam gear, and rpw headers. What kinda horsepower do you guys think that would generate? I want enough to feel but not enough to make the car unreliable. If that is not enough I was thinking 75 shot of the giggle juice. Any insight on where to begin!? I want to get as much as I can done before the mileage on this new engine gets too high. The one I found only has 65k on it!

g96nt
01-09-2003, 03:56 PM
wiseco ismaking custom pistons for $500 if I remember correctly..

why not go "american muscle" like, and run 11.5:1? maybe 13:1?

you'd have to run 93 all the Time.. but it'd be Fun As hell

dukeplaya3169
01-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Without "major" mods and you wanna stay N/A huh? Ok, here's a couple of things to start off with.Beleive me, money will build up if you don't do at least some of the installations. If you want to have respectable gains and noticable power you are gonna have to do major mods, but here is some more "affordable" modifications to get you started.

Get yourself a stage 2 camshaft+stronger valve springs to accomadate it.The idle will be noticable rougher and the vehicle will vibrate more during idling. The valve springs will reduce it and also reduce risk of engine damage. Pick up a Fuel pressure regulator and set it to at least 50 psi. Rpw headers and hfc to match a cat back and intake will open up air to your engine. From there, you should install an s-afc and have it TUNED (please have it TUNED,for the safety of your galant).Now that you have your camshaft, you can mess with the retarding. Get a cam gear,aem or rpw, and have it installed and have fun w/ the timing. A new performance minded torque converter from either levelten or protorque will help your car off the line (i beleive you have an auto,right?)I beleive protorque's is $400 plus shipping. A transmission cooler will be needed to releive the heat that will be produced by the performance torque converter.Last time I checked they were around $80 or $90 plus shipping.
Find a reputable machine shop or start stripping apart your engine bay and sending parts to RPW for porting and polishing.
Well that's about $2500 right there with installs, maybe more maybe less.
That's at least a month or two of not buying clothes or food.

evil-G-nius
01-14-2003, 09:47 PM
also how much nitrous can the 4g64 handle without internal upgrades? That is another option since I got a younger engine. I just want my car to be a little faster, it is ok but I just want a little more power without alot of mods and alot of money.

Dark Anghell
01-14-2003, 10:36 PM
Even if you run NOS you will need some fuel upgrades...you will still need S-AFC (or at least i advise that yoiu have it). Because the way people blow motors while running NOS is when they get a lot of air and not a lot of fuel.

NRG
01-14-2003, 11:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g96nt)</div><div class='quotemain'>wiseco ismaking custom pistons for $500 if I remember correctly..

why not go "american muscle" like, and run 11.5:1? maybe 13:1?

you'd have to run 93 all the Time.. but it'd be Fun As hell</div>

There is no 93 here in LA...... :cry: