PDA

View Full Version : Timing off 180 degrees?

polarduke
01-09-2003, 08:37 AM
While at the Mitsubishi dealership for some other work. the mechanic noted to us that our 1996 Galant S had the engine timing set off by 180 degrees, and that he could fix it, while at the same time replacing the timing belt, about a $500 job.

Is this possible? The car runs pretty good. Can the timing be off that much and the engine run relatively smooth?
Or is the guy snowing us?

Please Help!

HiperSilver
01-09-2003, 10:22 PM
i remember watching some show on tv, and if im correct 180 degrees is a SHITLOAD
but to answer your question yes, if the timing is off it can have the car run pretty damn rough, but i wouldnt understand how your timing would be off?

BEAST
01-09-2003, 11:01 PM
I think you would notice if your timing was off. Expecially 180 degrees. When I put a timing mod thing on my car it was supposed to advance my timing a MAXIMUM of 2 degrees and my car was running rich. With 180 degrees you would have valves hittin everywhere and your engine probably wouldn't be runnning. How long has it been since you got your timing belt changed? If it has been a while then you should probably get it changed. Getting it replaced does cost quite a bit though so remember that.

manybrews
01-09-2003, 11:49 PM
hes an idiot.
you can NOT get the cam timing off 180 degrees, as its part of the normal operation for it to be 180 degrees rolled over when the crank is back at top dead center!
remember, the cam travels exactly half the speed of the crank. so one rotation of the crank brings the cam exactly 180 degrees around, making it look like its off 180. but since number one is NOT on its compression stroke, its fine.

if hes referring to the distributor, yes, than could be off 180. but the car wouldnt run, and you wouldnt need to remove the t-belt to fix it.

BEAST
01-09-2003, 11:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>hes an idiot.
you can NOT get the cam timing off 180 degrees, as its part of the normal operation for it to be 180 degrees rolled over when the crank is back at top dead center!
remember, the cam travels exactly half the speed of the crank. Â*so one rotation of the crank brings the cam exactly 180 degrees around, making it look like its off 180. Â*but since number one is NOT on its compression stroke, its fine.

if hes referring to the distributor, yes, than could be off 180. Â*but the car wouldnt run, and you wouldnt need to remove the t-belt to fix it.</div>
Well put.

manybrews
01-10-2003, 12:00 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BEAST)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>hes an idiot.
remember, the cam travels exactly half the speed of the crank. Â*so one rotation of the crank brings the cam exactly 180 degrees around, making it look like its off 180. Â*but since number one is NOT on its compression stroke, its fine.

if hes referring to the distributor, yes, than could be off 180. Â*but the car wouldnt run, and you wouldnt need to remove the t-belt to fix it.</div>
Well put.</div>
you know, theres one thing that working on mitsus for 10 years has taught me...
and that is that your average mechanic is a fucking moron (excuse my language).
i cannot begin to tell you how the most basic principles of physics is totally beyond the comprehension of some of the monkeys ive worked with over the years.

the moral of the story is that if you find a good mechanic, i recommend sticking with him.