PDA

View Full Version : Preventing car theft/break ins

Blackmm
04-23-2008, 02:38 PM
I work in a field where I deal with a lot of juveniles who commit offenses such as UUMV, Auto Burglary, vandalism, etc. Following are a few of the common sense and not so common tips I've learned from interviews with these guys.

1. Lock the door/Don't leave the keys in the car. Most offenders just open the unlocked doors, start the car and speed off. Some thieves may go through the trouble of slim jimming and hot wiring, but most are amateurs and looking for a quick steal.

2. Use a club or some other locking device. I know they are easily defeated by expert thieves, but it will still slow down the process and amatuears will chose an easier steal.

3. Don't park in the dark. If you live in an apartment, park as close to your door as you can, preferably if its lighted.

4. Don't park next to POS vehicles. Given a choice, thieves will go for the car that stands out and haters who own the POS might scratch your car.

5. Keep your keys in your pocket. I can't count how many times some guys car got stolen because they were visiting someone and the friends of the kids there went into someones jacket, purse or got them lying around.

6. If you have a detachable face stereo, detach it. When the novelty of having a new head unit wears off, a lot of guys get complacent and leave it on.

spdracr
04-23-2008, 02:58 PM
I do everything posted beside the club I though about buying one but I just me a good alarm put in so I should be ok but I still might buy one, how much r they ??

fliegendaffe
04-23-2008, 03:26 PM
2. Use a club or some other locking device. I know they are easily defeated by expert thieves, but it will still slow down the process and amatuears will chose an easier steal.

some other options to this:

-Starter Kill
-Ignition Kill
-Fuel Cut Off

Galant306m
04-23-2008, 03:42 PM
I do all the above except the club! But i have and alarm that tells me that my car has been broken into and works for a halfmile! :smt023,

To add another thing
Use locking lugs they will keep your weelz on your car!

SleekGTZ
04-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Or you could just get one of these:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/168/392442728_890b9a5167_o.jpg

fliegendaffe
04-23-2008, 03:47 PM

YEAH!!!

Galant306m
04-23-2008, 03:48 PM

lol he cant get out! Would be a sweet anti theft device!

Blackmm
04-23-2008, 04:16 PM
A lot of folks ignore alarms when they hear one go off. If you have one with a pager that lets you know when its activated, great. I had my alarm hooked to an internal horn that blasted the cabin with a piercing siren as well.

Galant306m
04-23-2008, 04:18 PM
A lot of folks ignore alarms when they hear one go off. If you have one with a pager that lets you know when its activated, great. I had my alarm hooked to an internal horn that blasted the cabin with a piercing siren as well.

Yea i got the one that pages me and i always have my keys next to me bed! it wakes me up right away and i have a baseball bat under my bed!

fliegendaffe
04-23-2008, 04:27 PM

ah the lovely piezo siren

nico24vr6
04-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Do what this guy did

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xjjtkWf1mkM

fliegendaffe
04-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Do what this guy did

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xjjtkWf1mkM

get sued for that one

bronxbombr
04-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Dude, if theives want your car they gonna get it.

JDM4G64T
04-23-2008, 08:42 PM

Haahahahaha

esking
04-23-2008, 09:06 PM
this is very informative...thanks...if you have keyless entry, does that prevent theives from getting the car started when they break in a locked one or is it just for locking doors??

fliegendaffe
04-23-2008, 09:14 PM
this is very informative...thanks...if you have keyless entry, does that prevent theives from getting the car started when they break in a locked one or is it just for locking doors??

ROFLAO

if it is just plain jane keyless entry, then they can still steal your shit and car.

if it is an alarm with one or more of the different kill types, then they wont steal your car, just your shit

esking
04-23-2008, 09:16 PM
ROFLAO

if it is just plain jane keyless entry, then they can still steal your shit and car.

if it is an alarm with one or more of the different kill types, then they wont steal your car, just your shit

lmao i jus read what i wrote

Blackmm
04-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Dude, if theives want your car they gonna get it.

But there are cheap alternatives where you can at least slow down the theft until you can call the cops or meet them with a baseball bat.:smt075

fliegendaffe
04-24-2008, 12:43 AM
one thing i think i might install as a theft deter ant is a smoke screen inside my trunk and cabin

RAZ_76
04-24-2008, 01:02 AM
A lot of folks ignore alarms when they hear one go off.

I'm usually deciding if I want to use my 12 gauge or AK when my alarm goes off. Most of the time is just cats jumping on the car though. I'd feel sorry for someone that would have the balls to get in my yard. I would not hesitate for a minute because it's my right to protect my family and I will do so, so don't give me an excuse to smoke you.

dwjp90
04-27-2008, 02:27 AM
on the subject of ignoring alarms, no one ignores this one
http://youtube.com/watch?v=57W5VZMIHu0

beam514
04-27-2008, 02:45 AM
In discussing the new transmissions available for cars, my auto teacher told me this last week:

"There are very little people that know how to drive manual. If you don't want your car stolen... buy a manual"

and there you go :D

jimmy_o2
04-27-2008, 04:26 AM
I'm usually deciding if I want to use my 12 gauge or AK when my alarm goes off. Most of the time is just cats jumping on the car though. I'd feel sorry for someone that would have the balls to get in my yard. I would not hesitate for a minute because it's my right to protect my family and I will do so, so don't give me an excuse to smoke you.

i also have some heat 2 45s locked n loaded under my bed n I would not hesitate to protect my G

Blackmm
04-27-2008, 11:24 AM
In discussing the new transmissions available for cars, my auto teacher told me this last week:

"There are very little people that know how to drive manual. If you don't want your car stolen... buy a manual"

I'm surprised that the auto industry doesn't embrace the detachable steering wheel idea more.

fliegendaffe
04-27-2008, 11:49 AM
on the subject of ignoring alarms, no one ignores this one
http://youtube.com/watch?v=57W5VZMIHu0

oh yeah, i remember seeing that when i went to my car electronics school!! i would put that in my car in a heart beat

beam514
04-27-2008, 12:46 PM

"There are very little people that Don't know how to drive manual. If you don't want your car stolen... buy a manual"

oops haha just reread what i typed. Fixed now

RAZ_76
04-27-2008, 04:59 PM
You drove by me today on 39th at around 3pm.

Blackmm
04-27-2008, 05:32 PM
You drove by me today on 39th at around 3pm.

Yeah, it rained last night and I had to get rid of some nasty rain spots at the car wash.:smt093 Were you in the red Galant?

RAZ_76
04-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Yeah, My beat up G.

I4betterthanUR4
06-09-2009, 12:33 PM

Retarded, if you know how to steal a car you know how to drive a manual.

Jeffylou87
06-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Put up a dummy camera and point it to where you park your car at night.. (when applicable)

glantv699
06-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Leave absolutely NOTHING that someone might even consider stealing out in the open in your car. My faceplate was removed and in the glove compartment as these steps suggest but my remote was velcroed next to the shifter, sparked interest, and got my car broken into as you all know.

kingscratchie
06-09-2009, 06:57 PM

Very true, someone tried to steal my god fathers s10 and they only broke the window and once they saw it was manual they left it.
No other damage besides broken glass.

starh4x
06-09-2009, 09:06 PM
lol um. I'm pretty sure you can tell if its a manual or auto without breaking a window.

Jeffylou87
06-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Not if its dark out and the windows are tinted..

rez887
06-09-2009, 11:59 PM
I think I'm the only one that is very HAPPY that they broke into my car, insurance estimated the damage at $4500, what I paid for after market equipments was $850 and what they estimated was $2800, plus new back seat (leather), and quarter window, CF bezel, center spaeker, grill. I put almost 3k in my pocket after fixing the cancerish spots.

Also my car didn't have any alarm nor any blinking led, but the 1st thing that the thieves (whatever you spell it) did was to remove the grill, open the hood from the latch and cut the battery cable.

I4betterthanUR4
06-10-2009, 12:25 AM
bahahaha I think I have the cheapest out of all you guys. I bought one blinking red led and a battery pack at radio shack for like 5 bucks. Drilled a small hole in my radio bezel and hooked it up. Any real car jacker will know its fake and even an amatuer would just hit the car to see if it would go off but it helps me sleep a *little* at night. My old car, 95 accord got stolen right from the front of my house and they took the airbags before the cops found and also the window got smashed in so they could steal a $5 mp3 player i kept in the glove box and these were separate occasions. I'm currently working on a kill switch design that will be really hard to find. So they can break in and take my shit but the car isnt going anywhere.

polishmafia
06-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Retarded, if you know how to steal a car you know how to drive a manual.

Whats retarded is bumping a thread thats over a year old to post absolutely nothing relevent to the topic at hand.

Dragon-and-his-mitsubishi
06-10-2009, 02:07 PM
I think I'm the only one that is very HAPPY that they broke into my car, insurance estimated the damage at $4500, what I paid for after market equipments was $850 and what they estimated was $2800, plus new back seat (leather), and quarter window, CF bezel, center spaeker, grill. I put almost 3k in my pocket after fixing the cancerish spots.

Also my car didn't have any alarm nor any blinking led, but the 1st thing that the thieves (whatever you spell it) did was to remove the grill, open the hood from the latch and cut the battery cable.

That is the reason, why I have backed up sirene, and second battery for alarm with pager.
Than windows are tinded and from outside I have film, that dont allow to broke the glass at all.
The will have to tow it away...

rez887
06-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Than windows are tinded and from outside I have film, that dont allow to broke the glass at all.
The will have to tow it away...
Don't forget God created razor blade!