PDA

View Full Version : Engine movement

redlobster
01-09-2003, 12:35 PM
I was curious as to how much engine movement the a 96 es should have when being shifted while at a stand still, since our engine is 90 degree i think and the transmission is sitting on the side is it normal for the engine to move some? I went to an exhaust shop and they were looking at something and had me pop the hood and said i might have weak motor mounts by the amount of engine movement but it looked like a normal amount to me
thnks
sean

2True
01-09-2003, 02:59 PM
It's normal for it to move an inch or so when put in gear. That's actually a function of the motor mounts, give it some flex, but too much is bad..

redlobster
01-09-2003, 04:33 PM
Thats what i thought too that it was normal to move a little, also would it be unusual for the mounts to be going out after like 7 years? (not sure about how good the mitsu ones are)
thanks
sean

2True
01-09-2003, 04:53 PM
It depends Sean, the best way is to look at them. Check for any wear, cracking, basically anything unusual. They are pretty easy and cheap to replace too. :wink:

redlobster
01-09-2003, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the help, my brother had his done in his 94 cavalier for a total of like 85 bucks parts and labor combined, i was just curious if i really needed to though
thanks for clearing it up
sean

manybrews
01-09-2003, 11:42 PM
from full forward to full reverse, you could see as much as 5 inches of movement if fully torqued.

MidNightRacing
01-30-2003, 02:05 PM
IS there a way to put more mounts? I did a couple of thing to the car for Hp and it shook!! So I un did it.

pinoyesv6
01-30-2003, 07:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidnightES)</div><div class='quotemain'>IS there a way to put more mounts? I did a couple of thing to the car for Hp and it shook!! So I un did it.</div>

u sure u want to do that? i mean the mounts make sure the car moves. now you can put stiffer mounts and that will help u in a performance standpoint but, you will also feel the engine moving easier since its more secure to the car...

Kain
01-30-2003, 09:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>from full forward to full reverse, you could see as much as 5 inches of movement if fully torqued.</div>

Wha??? 5"? If I see as much as 2" of movement I usually change em out. The engine in the Galant moves about 1/4" when shifted from R to D. Or are you also talking about movement under load, cuz that'd be a bit closer to 5"

manybrews
01-30-2003, 10:03 PM
under load, hence me saying "fully torqued".

4g64terror
02-14-2003, 08:27 PM
check it out guys...its called ESSEX u-418 urethane window adhesive...fill your mounts with it and they will harden and be just as stiff if not stiffer than energy suspension motor mount inserts....did it to mine and it works like a charm...u sequeeze it out with a caulking gun