PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean MAF and throttle body?

cg1349
04-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Doesn anyone have detailed instructions, with pics if possible, on how to clean the MAF and throttle body. My car is not throwing any codes, but I figured this would be good maintanance to do. I'm very engine iliterate so the more "dumb, dumb" the instructions are, the better. Thanks.

4-G-rim
04-26-2008, 03:26 PM
To clean the TB just get some Throttle body cleaner from your local autoparts store.

-Remove the intake tube
-Spray the throttle body with the plate closed at first to remove carbon buildup
-Open the throttle plate and spray inside the intake manifold and try to get as much as you can.
*Optional is get a old toothbrush and brush the inside of the intake manifold to get the harder carbon deposits*
-Reinstall intake
-Start car: It will take a few attempts to get the engine to crank over. It will run like total crap at first but let it idle for a little bit then give it a couple of WOT's.

Not to clean the MAF sensor I used this stuff:
http://www.crcindustries.com/catalog/images/Cleaners%20and%20Degreasers/05110.jpg

Do Not use brake cleaner, throttle body cleaner, carb cleaner, etc etc...the chemical is too harse for the MAF sensor components

Follow the directions labled on the back, and don't spray too much. I damaged 1 MAF sensor because I went spray happy a bit..luckily I have a few of them to spare. It will take the car a bit to start and run correctly after you clean the MAF sensor. The car will idle irractically or it will just die. I recommend after you use this stuff is to let the sensor air dry for 30 mins so all the cleaner evaporates.

I did notice though after using this stuff that engine response was improved and my spool up time was a little quicker and felt more "linear".

cg1349
04-26-2008, 05:42 PM
To clean the TB just get some Throttle body cleaner from your local autoparts store.

-Remove the intake tube
-Spray the throttle body with the plate closed at first to remove carbon buildup
-Open the throttle plate and spray inside the intake manifold and try to get as much as you can.
*Optional is get a old toothbrush and brush the inside of the intake manifold to get the harder carbon deposits*
-Reinstall intake
-Start car: It will take a few attempts to get the engine to crank over. It will run like total crap at first but let it idle for a little bit then give it a couple of WOT's.

Not to clean the MAF sensor I used this stuff:
http://www.crcindustries.com/catalog/images/Cleaners%20and%20Degreasers/05110.jpg

Do Not use brake cleaner, throttle body cleaner, carb cleaner, etc etc...the chemical is too harse for the MAF sensor components

Follow the directions labled on the back, and don't spray too much. I damaged 1 MAF sensor because I went spray happy a bit..luckily I have a few of them to spare. It will take the car a bit to start and run correctly after you clean the MAF sensor. The car will idle irractically or it will just die. I recommend after you use this stuff is to let the sensor air dry for 30 mins so all the cleaner evaporates.

I did notice though after using this stuff that engine response was improved and my spool up time was a little quicker and felt more "linear".

Thanks alot. But to be sure, could you post a pic of the engine bay pointing where the throttle body and MAF are? I want to make sure I don't mess with the wrong parts.

SwiftVR4
05-06-2008, 03:13 PM
I will add one more thing to this..... I recommend removing the IAC motor from the thottle body. As you clean the throttle body, the solvent and the crap that was sprayed off will drain into the opening for the IAC, possibly messing it up. If you want to clean the IAC use the MAF cleaner not throttle body cleaner. I was down this road two weeks ago.

-Brian

Reelax
05-07-2008, 03:23 AM
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/DIY/Cleaning_Engine_Throttle_Bodies.aspx
http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/automotive/1272341.html

2002BlackDragon
05-13-2008, 09:49 AM
What is the IAC motor for and can you show me where it is located?