PDA

View Full Version : Evo engine

7gftw
04-27-2008, 08:18 PM
I was thinking of doing the 4g63t 6bolt swap into my 97 galant, and I was talking to one of my friends and he mentioned dropping an evo engine into my car (not an evo 3 or older, but an evo 8 or 9). We know the obvious of wielding motor mounts, rewiring the entire engine, and even doing an awd conversion (using the 2g gsx sub frame). I am not looking to get told how to do the swap, but am wondering what you guys think of the swap, honestly. I know that it will take a while and be hard, but the fact that evo's can push 500 awhp all day long and dsm's can barely push 400-450 reliably before being rebuilt just seems worth the headache to me. So what do you guys think?

DOHCstunr
04-27-2008, 08:36 PM
yeha........ and you just think you are going to start making 500 hp 3 weeks into your forced induction endeavors?
and that you are going to comfortably daily drive it too?

so what are you going to do about shift linkage?

what transmission are you going to run? what axles?

so you'd rather go..... custom EVERYTHING ($$$$$)

than plug and play, bolt in, tried and true......?

7gftw
04-27-2008, 08:42 PM
linkage and transmission will be evo, axles... I don't know, Dsm 4g63's like breaking, ask anyone that's owned one. I want something reliable so that's why I am thinking about swapping an evo 4g63

7gftw
04-27-2008, 08:47 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=739086&highlight=evo+swap

bmore303
04-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Sigh..I don't see much logic in this. Regardless of wether a 2g did it...it had a 420a Chrysler engine. Our 64 block is often swapped with the 2g head with great benefits.

More so...you would rather pay $$$$$$$$ to do an overboard swap rather than swap a trusted and tried and true engine because you "heard" they always break? They break due to abuse and poor maintenance. Stick to the original 63t motor and put that extra money towards the maintenance you will need for any older engine rather than going overboard for repositioned engine that can become just as unreliable with time.

evil-G-nius
04-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Here's the problem....the later Evo engines are opposed differently. Along with the shit Stunr said you would have to find a way to re-route the exhaust as well. There is nothing wrong with the 6 bolts...if you are willing to drop the coin (which it sounds like you will) just build it up bullet proof and you will be fine. I mean Seth was...or is rocking one and at some points running 35 psi of boost...daily driven if I am not mistaken. Dont break the bank on a swap that will net you about the same hp on one that has benn printed over and over again. It will save you money, headaches, and will be just as much fun!

7gftw
04-27-2008, 09:14 PM
can any dsm make 500 whp reliably on stock internals????

laxinwarrior
04-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Wow, you are fucking thick .... please show me an Evo that makes 500AWHP completely stock. Just like i'm also sure you have a degree in engineering so you know how much you will compromise the integrity of the chassis once you start hacking away at it to fit this one of a kind evo/awd swap. :rolleyes:

mtcavity1
04-27-2008, 09:52 PM
can any dsm make 500 whp reliably on stock internals????

It depends how you drive it! But to make 500+HP, the car will probably not be very "streetable".

You see when someone is creating a vehicle of that nature they have a plan. A plan that you do not have or a question like that would not have been asked. Google it and look at some of the cars that you are refering to.

Go naturally asperated and learn. I spent 2 years on learning turbo-charging and know squat compaired to the 7G owners posting in this thread and they are being quite nice considering your over-ambition...

7gftw
04-27-2008, 10:23 PM
I am not trying to be "thick" or saying that an evo can make 500awhp stock... but am trying to say that a dsm is a 15 year old platform that once you reach 400 to 450 whp, you start to push on the internals... a lot. The evo on the other hand is only a 5 year platform and you reach the same stress levels on the internals and transmission at 550 to 600 whp. It was just an idea and I was trying to get some input about the subject... not argue what is a better platform.

laxinwarrior
04-27-2008, 10:30 PM
And I would absolutely LOVE to see proof of those #s.

7gftw
04-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Are you trying to say that a dsm is a better platform than an evo?

mko
04-27-2008, 10:43 PM
I was thinking of doing the 4g63t 6bolt swap into my 97 galant, and I was talking to one of my friends and he mentioned dropping an evo engine into my car (not an evo 3 or older, but an evo 8 or 9). We know the obvious of wielding motor mounts, rewiring the entire engine, and even doing an awd conversion (using the 2g gsx sub frame). I am not looking to get told how to do the swap, but am wondering what you guys think of the swap, honestly. I know that it will take a while and be hard, but the fact that evo's can push 500 awhp all day long and dsm's can barely push 400-450 reliably before being rebuilt just seems worth the headache to me. So what do you guys think?

Well, if you dont trust a built 4g64 block with 63 head, then you can invest in fully built, stroked, low compression 6 bolt 4g63 and a dog box tranny. I mean you have better chances of doing this than the ridiculous evo 8-9 swap idea. It will cost you way more than you think it will.

7gftw
04-27-2008, 10:47 PM
I just don't wanna have a rebuilt bottom end if I don't have to.

paparishi90
04-27-2008, 10:51 PM
ya there is no way an evo or dsm can push those numbers stock.

4g63lover
04-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Okay, just to straighten shit out. Most DSM 4G63T's break because most DSMers like to ghetto rig shit to work.

I dont have an idea where people get the inkling that the motors have problems themselves. The EVO III's and the GVR4's that have basically the same motor found on DSM's dont break as often. Most likely, because most GVR4 owners and the few lucky ones who can get their hands on EVO III's and older are more sophisticated than your normal 16 year-old with a license and quick cash.

Most cost effective way to do this is use the 6-bolt 4G63T from the older DSM's or even use the EVO III engine if you wanna go baller. it will perfectly line up with the mounts and most of all you will save yourself the hassle of trying to make mounts for a motor that sits on the totally opposite side. (trust me, much more of a PITA than it looks)

if you're a millionaire and is ready to put THOUSANDS of dollars on a 7G with an EVO motor go ahead. But its more headaches than you think a regular DSM would give.

Atleast a broken DSM would have parts, what would you do when something on your one-off set-up breaks?

and who says first generation 4G63's cant handle power?
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=29372

and thats on a evo III

kbeast
04-27-2008, 11:19 PM
well heads up if you drop a 4g63 in from a evo that is highly dumb no offense. Think bout it man also DSm are the ONLY cars i say that are cheap fast and will be there till the end. Just drop 4g63 6 bolt head and you good bro. of course with the turbo. and you can swap axles and all that AWD shit and be better in price then the evo swap. I mean a head you can get cheap for a DSM for a evo LOL think again. and stress? i know a DSM right now going on 200k so get your head right

7gftw
04-27-2008, 11:23 PM
I am not trying to say that dsm's can't make any power... my friend has a 10 second dsm. I agree that dsm's break because of people ghetto rigging shit... If i was going to go baller then I would just get a Lexus gs300 and 2jz-gte swap it, add a gettrag trans. and a single turbo. As far as turboing my car, no matter what happens it will cost a couple thousand dollars anyways.... I was just wondering if it was a good idea to put a newer engine design into my car instead of an older one.... but I would say that all of you think it is a bad idea...

kbeast
04-27-2008, 11:32 PM
now if you put a LS1 in there.....

laxinwarrior
04-27-2008, 11:41 PM
You do realize that it's designated the 4g63t for a reason ... therefore it is virtually the same engine either way. The only reason it was changed was because Mitsu wanted better weight distribution for their WRC cars.

7gftw
04-27-2008, 11:56 PM
it was also changed because it was an outdated design.

evil-G-nius
04-28-2008, 01:40 AM
... but am trying to say that a dsm is a 15 year old platform that once you reach 400 to 450 whp, you start to push on the internals... a lot. The evo on the other hand is only a 5 year platform

Well thats not true either...technically they are all old. The 4g63 is actually 20+years old. The Evo ...just because it was refreshed it is still the same 4g63t engine. So even still the idea of an evo 8 swap is asinine. You would still have to drop thousands to make any engine that is 2-300 hp jump up to 500hp. So your thoughts of saving money on the swap because you think a DSM will break is also outlandish. Keep it simple, do some more research, and dont be so eager. If you rush into things you will regret it

7gftw
04-28-2008, 08:12 AM
I have researched both platforms, and I know the evo 4g63t engine can handle more power with less stress. That is why it would not be as prone to breaking...

bmore303
04-28-2008, 09:13 AM
There are many a DSM pushing close to 500hp on stock internals. You're not taking into consideration the age differences between each model. You wanna push those type of numbers? How many miles do these "reliable" vehicles have added daily? Pretty sure it's a minimal amount. You want big numbers, you gotta do the work. As far as I'm concerned you'll be wasting way more money getting a repositioned engine to fit into that bay, than taking a classic 6 bolt and fully building it with that money.

njjfudge
04-28-2008, 09:15 AM
The Evo 8 swap into a 7g is not worth it. It is a lot harder than swapping out the 420a for the Evo 4g63. Also the 6 bolt is no more outdated that the 4g63 in the later Evos, it is just the longer a company works with a platform the more power they can squeeze out of it. If you are looking to put down 400+hp you don't want a stock 4g63. I have also seen people break Evo motors pushing less power. For the money you would just spend on the Evo 8 motor, you could have a very nice built 6 bolt installed in your 7g and driving around and if you know the right people you will have some money left over.

Off topic: where are you located 7gftw? The pic of your 7g looks just like the 7g at the Summit GADSM meet.

DOHCstunr
04-28-2008, 10:51 AM
yeah its a bad idea.

My car is 14 years old.

the engine i put in it is a 6 bolt out of a jdm 1990 vr4.... which is 18 years old.(if not more because i'm sure they produced the engine before the assembly line started rolling.

with that said. i run 20 psi on a 50 trim every day, and drive the living shit out of in autocross.

the internals of the motor are completely stock, save a balance shaft removal.

my engine neither smokes or consumes oil.

with a little more time for tuning. and no other changes..... i'm looking to run 25 psi-ish.
until i lift the head.
then i'll get a multilayer headgasket and some arp studs. and go from there.

Distort
04-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Wait, why in the hell are you wanting to swap a new Evo motor into this old car? For the money it's going to cost you to find an Evo motor for sale that is still in decent condition, thats a pretty penny by itself. Much less the fabrication, time, planning, and more $$$, you could have a VERY WELL built lower end, head, and turbo!

4-G-rim
04-28-2008, 12:13 PM
If you view is that the newer 4G63 is more capable of making power than the previous 4G63 then you are mislead. Both motors in stock form are good up to around 400hp with stock internals before you start knocking on the door of its threshhold. The newer 4G63's do benefit with some updated improvements like larger cooling passages and updated valvetrain but with the HUGE aftermarket support and knowledge of the "older" 4G63...things can be done to have the same benefits. There are "older" DSM's and Galant VR4's making the same amount of power the newer 4G63's are making nowdays...they are just as stout.

Its not worth doing the swap you are asking about as many others have expressed their opinions. If you want to be different thats is cool, but in a other way to look at things with the $$$ you would have to invest to put a newer 4G64 into a 7g, 2g or even 1g and have a working drivetrain to get the car to roll. You could just build up a "older" 63 with stronger internals, valvetrain and drivetrain and probably spend less money and time and headaches.

mko
04-28-2008, 12:36 PM
it was also changed because it was an outdated design.

As Laxin said the weight on drivers side was way more than the pasenger side, but there is one better reason why they repositioned the engine. It was the output shaft of the transmissions - with the older engine location the tranny had 5 reverse and 1 foward gears, and thats why they added a shaft that reverses the gears which shaft happened to be a weak spot of high HP engines. For more info - DSMtuners.com.

DOHCstunr
04-28-2008, 07:18 PM
he just wants to be able to say he has "an evo motor"

the evo's all have the same rods as the 7 bolt eclipse 4g63.
the cranks are made the same way as well although there might be slight machining differences...

they are the same materials and made with the same methods.
so one isn't stronger than the other.

so where are you getting the idea that the evo bottom end is sooooooooo much more powerful than a 7 bolt dsm engine.

Or a much thicker rod-equipped 6 bolt motor?

Ask how many evo guys spun rod bearings.
then ask how many stock engine dsm guys did. just about none(if it wasn't after 200k miles of abuse and neglect)

Finally, ever priced a used evo motor or even a jdm one?
its about as much as a brand new built longblock dsm 4g63. of course i'd rather have a all forged motor with zero miles, than a used stock motor that i know nothing about.

But if you want to be different, and go a different route, then go for it.
It can be done, with enough time, patience and $$$$$$$.
Just make sure you don't comprimise the quality of the car just so you can make some rice dream come true.

7gftw
04-28-2008, 09:26 PM
first: njjfudge: that was my galant at the gadsm summit meet

second: thank you all for your opinions, they are very appreciated even though I haven't decided what to do

third: I do not want to build a bottom end, because they do not last as long as oem motors, there are some exceptions for sure, but that is not something that i wanna deal with doing on my daily driver

forth: the cost of the actual engine and transmission is not as big of a deal to me as it is to most, because I am buying a laser diffuser kit (passport srx), installing a radio some speakers, 2 amps, and building a box for a guy that works at nabb (sp?) motors around here so he was going to swap me for a cyclone 4g63 so an evo engine will only be $1500

fifth: i do not want to do the swap to be cool or just to say that i have an evo engine, i feel like it is a better starting point (that is just my opinion tho)

sixth: the last thing that I would want to do is half ass anything, or compromise the integrity of my car

seventh: with all that said, would all of you still do the dsm 4g63 swap?

bronxbombr
04-28-2008, 10:55 PM
LMFAO, i think everyone has given you plenty of answers to your questions dont ya think!

Distort
04-28-2008, 11:12 PM
third: I do not want to build a bottom end, because they do not last as long as oem motors, there are some exceptions for sure, but that is not something that i wanna deal with doing on my daily driver

lol, wat?

forth: the cost of the actual engine and transmission is not as big of a deal to me as it is to most, because I am buying a laser diffuser kit (passport srx), installing a radio some speakers, 2 amps, and building a box for a guy that works at nabb (sp?) motors around here so he was going to swap me for a cyclone 4g63 so an evo engine will only be $1500

wat? What year Evo? If you're gonna be messing with all that Mivec crap, it's not gonna be worth it.

fifth: i do not want to do the swap to be cool or just to say that i have an evo engine, i feel like it is a better starting point (that is just my opinion tho)

We are all just wondering what makes it a better starting point?

7gftw
04-28-2008, 11:24 PM
lol, wat?

wat? What year Evo? If you're gonna be messing with all that Mivec crap, it's not gonna be worth it.

We are all just wondering what makes it a better starting point?

eagle rods, wiseco, etc. don't make sure that their parts last for 100,000 miles, they are built to make big power to race, not daily drive, I wanna see a fully built motor even last 50,000 or 75,000 miles, then i will rethink that option

yes an evo 7, 8, or 9.... all that mivec crap won't be that bad.... i will get an uncut harness and ecu... I dea with automotive wiring 50 hours a week so its the easy part to me

it can handle more power reliably before being fully built

kolio
04-28-2008, 11:31 PM
i was thinking about it when i could of got an evo 8 motor for free

i was gonna rewire thw whole car, use the 95-99 eclipse 420 a mounts

but i thought about it was not worth it.

listen to DOHCstunr the man knows his shit. the dsm motors are just as great but with cheaper parts for replacements. even brand new motors can fail. we all know dsm motors can easily take 200K plus miles of hard driving. except the 7 bolts wich crank walk with heavy clutches and even then they still had alot of milage on them.

if you can risk the car and you want to do it go for it. for me it's too much hassel, money, time, and labor for something i can do easier, cheaper, and proven to be just as good if not better

Distort
04-29-2008, 11:57 AM
My 1G DSM went 200k miles, and the only reason it got trashed was because the radiator hose blew... I was replacing all the hoses the next week, but it was still going strong till the damn hose went out and blew the headgasket, warping the head.

Galant306m
04-29-2008, 09:24 PM
eagle rods, wiseco, etc. don't make sure that their parts last for 100,000 miles, they are built to make big power to race, not daily drive, I wanna see a fully built motor even last 50,000 or 75,000 miles, then i will rethink that option

yes an evo 7, 8, or 9.... all that mivec crap won't be that bad.... i will get an uncut harness and ecu... I dea with automotive wiring 50 hours a week so its the easy part to me

it can handle more power reliably before being fully built

Evo 9 motor will not work!

Dude listen to everyone that is telling you that trying to run a evo motor isnt worth the hastle! For all the bs that you would go through and all the money that you would spend you could have built a 4g63t that is going to be making more power then a stock evo motor. Also i can almost guess that they would have the same engine internals, im talking about the older models, why would mistubishi waste time and money putting differant internals in a motor that they were using in three cars?? Also what i dont undersand is why wouldnt you want to rebuild the bottom end? If i were to buy a used motor i would make damn sure that the bottom end was new and remachined!

You really make no sence, you ask for peoples oppinions and then you dont even listen to what they are telling you! If you dont want to listen to what people say dont ask just do and find out how dumb your idea was. everyone is trying to help you out and steer you in the correct dirrection and you just keep saying that they are wrong and that your way is going to be better. If that is the case do it your way and stop trying to act like you know shit when you obviosly dont, and if you do then prove it and swap a EVO 9 motor in your car, With MIVEC!!! <<< WONT WORK AT ALL! YOU DONT HAVE THE KNOWLAGE TO MAKE MIVAC WORK!

Blue Ice
04-30-2008, 09:54 AM
wow, this is funny

A 4G63t is a 4G63t. <-- bTW that was a PERIOD at the end of that statement.

You say eagle rods, wiseco, etc won't last. When was the last time you saw someone granny driving a built motor. I understand your concern, but i don't think you're weghing all the factors in or considering the reality of it. How will you drive the 500hp Evo 7g... how woulkd you drive a 500 hp 6bolt. Better question, how do you plan to make either 500 hp.

I say go for it!!! Don't let someone elses hesitation hold you back, for you might be the one that makes this swap actally happen... but i doubt it. I understand you're getting opinions, but if haven't thought logically about those problems, well then your just really talking.

Biggest problem is, you'll have no one to help you at any turn (except maybe the eclipse guy) One of the most important things about doing the 6 bolt swap into the 7g, is the technical support that's there. You'd have little to no support when dealing with the Evo swap. Belive me i'm doing a swap that i've had a lot of support for, but have still had to pioneer somethings. All in all, go for it, but you're on your own.

Blue Ice
04-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Oh and another thing, Even if you did buy one brand new EVO 8 engine with a manufacturers warranty for 100k miles, as soon as you modified it to 500hp, that warranty would be null and void.

Galant306m
04-30-2008, 12:58 PM
which way are the pullies on the evo 8 motor?? are they on the driver or passenger side of the car?? cause if they are on the passenger side then how the hell is that going to work?? If you flip the head around the intake would be in front and the exhaust in back! Custom exhaust manifold and intake manifold would have to be made. right??
am i the only one thinking about that or am i worng on ware the pullies are??

laxinwarrior
04-30-2008, 01:10 PM
:rolleyes:

B19WHEELS
04-30-2008, 02:12 PM
I say umm no. Its not worth it!! Your car will be down for more than a year not including the money isssue.. The only 1 thing that makes the Evo8,9 motor is the higher compression pistons over the 6 bolt lower compression. The evo 8 motor components make the evo motor run better than a 6 bolt(ex.factory front mount,intercooler sprayer,mass,and ecu) With the money you will put into this swap you could have a built 6 bolt bottom end and plenty of ungrades. The link you posted is a evo 8 motor in a 420a car which the engine sits the same a the evo 8 anyways! My old neighbor has a evo and while he spent 500 bucks on a exhaust and another 1100 20g upgrade, i spent 800 on a t66,150 on my exhaust,and another 300 on cams! And guess what happens everytime we bumped into eachother......I have about 20000 less dollars in my whole overall car than him!! I can just imagine what he feels like get beat by a car i paid pennies for plus the car never hit the US with a turbo motor!!! Learn from everyone before u budget over being rare or different!!

seth98esT
04-30-2008, 03:03 PM
You think a 500whp stock internal motor will last 100,000 miles? lol.

Id take a 1g 6bolt built motor over a stock internal Evo motor any day of the week for my 7g. For the money it will cost you to fabricate mounts, build a transmission(you think your going to use AWD?), figure out wiring, you could build two fully built 1g 6bolt 4g63t and use the second motor as a spare when the first blows up after 200,000 miles.

If you build it right, tune the car, do not take any shortcuts, an aftermarket internalled motor can last just as long as a stock motor. Id trust a 500whp built motor as a daily driver before a 500awhp stock internal motor(any engine, not just 4g63t).

You have somehow got it into your head that aftermarket internals arent as strong as stock internal motors? Huh?

Galant306m
04-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Yea if stock internals were stronger why would people be replacing them with aftermarket internals for their builds??? You should get your facts strait before you post something so outlandish as this thread!

Shadow19
04-30-2008, 06:08 PM
I am not trying to say that dsm's can't make any power... my friend has a 10 second dsm. I agree that dsm's break because of people ghetto rigging shit... If i was going to go baller then I would just get a Lexus gs300 and 2jz-gte swap it, add a gettrag trans. and a single turbo. As far as turboing my car, no matter what happens it will cost a couple thousand dollars anyways.... I was just wondering if it was a good idea to put a newer engine design into my car instead of an older one.... but I would say that all of you think it is a bad idea...

HAHAHA.. Dude.. Your an idiot.. They break because of ppl "ghetto rigging shit" WTF? Didnt you just answer your question by saying that? In that case.. Build one and not ghetto rig it.... If you got the money to dump a stupid evo engine in the car why not build a NICE and BEASTLY 63t thats PROVEN itself for hmmmm.. How many years? Build it the NON ghetto way and you dont have a problem.. Besides. Doesnt matter what you build.. It can all blow up tomorrow.. If you knew anything about cars and how they work. If your putting down SERIOUS HP you can lose 20k in work in less time that it takes for you to blink. Shit happens. Seriously. Research something before you knock it.

mtcavity1
04-30-2008, 09:31 PM
I tell you what... Go ask the frendly advice of the fine fellows on the forum on EVOm... They would love you...

7gftw
04-30-2008, 10:17 PM
i am not trying to say that stock internals are stronger than aftermarket.... just more reliable.....

7gftw
04-30-2008, 10:23 PM
You think a 500whp stock internal motor will last 100,000 miles? lol.

Id take a 1g 6bolt built motor over a stock internal Evo motor any day of the week for my 7g. For the money it will cost you to fabricate mounts, build a transmission(you think your going to use AWD?), figure out wiring, you could build two fully built 1g 6bolt 4g63t and use the second motor as a spare when the first blows up after 200,000 miles.

If you build it right, tune the car, do not take any shortcuts, an aftermarket internalled motor can last just as long as a stock motor. Id trust a 500whp built motor as a daily driver before a 500awhp stock internal motor(any engine, not just 4g63t).

You have somehow got it into your head that after market internals aren't as strong as stock internal motors? Huh?

just talk to ANYONE that daily drives a 2jz-gte.... and they can daily drive with 800whp easily

I am not saying that stock internals are stronger than a built motor...by no means..... i am just saying that they tend to be more reliable because the auto manufactures do not care about some crazy hp number.... they do not want to have blown motors ever 25,000 miles

tomorrow I am going to talk to the guys at 4gperformance and get their opinions too.... that will help me determine what i will end up doing

Galant306m
04-30-2008, 10:35 PM
just talk to ANYONE that daily drives a 2jz-gte.... and they can daily drive with 800whp easily

I am not saying that stock internals are stronger than a built motor...by no means..... i am just saying that they tend to be more reliable because the auto manufactures do not care about some crazy hp number.... they do not want to have blown motors ever 25,000 miles

tomorrow I am going to talk to the guys at 4gperformance and get their opinions too.... that will help me determine what i will end up doing

OMG! Dude you have your mind set on what you are going to do so the do it and shut up! We tell you what we think you want to know and all you do is say that you would rather have the evo motor. But i do hope that you know the late model evo motor will not work in a 7g just to make sure that you are on the same page. If you want a evo motor the one that i can think of that you would be happy with would be the evo 5 motor. Have fun knock your self out with it! I can speak for most people and say i am happy that i am not going to be the one doing the work to that car because it is going to be a complete nightmare.

The amount of money that you are going to drop on making this all work go buy your stupid IS-300 and run a 2jz. WOOOHOOO for the freakin 2jz! everyone knows that they can put down massive numbers but they take $$$$$$$$ to make that power.!

Have a nice day.!!! :roll:

7gftw
04-30-2008, 10:46 PM
OMG! Dude you have your mind set on what you are going to do so the do it and shut up! We tell you what we think you want to know and all you do is say that you would rather have the evo motor. But i do hope that you know the late model evo motor will not work in a 7g just to make sure that you are on the same page. If you want a evo motor the one that i can think of that you would be happy with would be the evo 5 motor. Have fun knock your self out with it! I can speak for most people and say i am happy that i am not going to be the one doing the work to that car because it is going to be a complete nightmare.

The amount of money that you are going to drop on making this all work go buy your stupid IS-300 and run a 2jz. WOOOHOOO for the freakin 2jz! everyone knows that they can put down massive numbers but they take $$$$$$$$ to make that power.!

Have a nice day.!!! :roll:

i call bullshit on it taking much $$$ to make a 2jz put down some fucking power... i am glad thats what you all think then.... i am also glad that you are all so fucking nice to a different idea.... only a few of you guys actually told me your opinion instead of acting like I am some fucking dumbass.... i will admit that i brought all this shit upon myself by asking a bunch of guys with 15 second cars on how to build a reliable 11 second car!!!

Galant306m
04-30-2008, 11:04 PM
OK?

Here is the problem! You have an idea in your head that you want to put a EVO 9 motor in your car! RIGHT?

Now what i have been telling you is that it will not fit! WONT FIT IN YOUR CAR! Reason look a pic on google of a evo9 engine bay and you will see what i am talking about! Then i tell you that a freakin Evo5 motor would work if you want to run that! so do it and STFU!

What you are saying is that you would spend around 15 - 20 grand on a is300 depending on the condition of the car! HMMM Now you are going to make this stock car make big HP.! Problem say you are going to make around a decent number not to high 600hp lets say, Ok i will agree with you that a toyota motor is a reliable engine, but to make around 600 hp your going to need around a T40 - a T66 Turbo,! HMM.! Lets say that you are going to be running around 20psi roughly to make that power thats really low boost for a T66. HMM! What i have seen about the is300 is to make about 600 - 700 hp you are looking at droping around 15 - 20 grand. Not just on the motor because you are now going to need to send your transmission out to get built to handle that power and your going to need to have a decent set of gears that will also handle that power, Plus not to add the 4-6 inch exhaust for that size turbo, $$$ not cheap you would spend so much money on doing that and still only have a 10.5 second car that since you have gears you really wouldnt want to drive that on the street.!

So lets think here??? i would rather have a low 13 to mid 12 second 4g63t galant over a 10.5 second is300 that has around 35grand dumped into it that now i cannot drive it on the street.!

Get your shit strait do what you want! But you got your info so what is the point about you keep asking more people Run a EVO5 motor and be happy!

kolio
04-30-2008, 11:21 PM
i will admit that i brought all this shit upon myself by asking a bunch of guys with 15 second cars on how to build a reliable 11 second car!!!

WOAH there buddy

DOHCstunr has a mean 63T swapped 7G - high 12 sec car, if he swapped it to a GSX it would run 11's
seth98esT used to have a high 13's 63T swapped 7G (now stocker n/a)
mtcavity1 has a high 13's 8G
laxinwarrior has a high 13's 7G putting down like 240 ish
Micro galant is a hybrid 64/63T built and putting down 358hp and 408tq
4-G-rim is a turbo 7G at about high 13's
Blue Ice is a almost finished swapped 63T 7G

me and bmore303 are almost turbo and my cuz is almost finished swapping his 94 GS to a 63T

so before you start talking shit know who you are talking it too

7gftw
04-30-2008, 11:37 PM
first: LOOK at an evo 5 engine.... faces the same way as an evo 8 (opposite as an evo 3 or a dsm 4g63)
learn what you are talking about before you act like I am some dumb ass who doesn't know how my engine is positioned

second: SOME of you guys might have 13 sec cars....
how fast is you car Kolio??????

Galant306m
04-30-2008, 11:47 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2977000-2977999/2977102_26_full.jpg

EVO 5

7gftw
04-30-2008, 11:49 PM
http://www.bhpcars.co.uk/evo_5.htm
then what's this????????

Galant306m
04-30-2008, 11:54 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2992000-2992999/2992364_9_full.jpg

7gftw
04-30-2008, 11:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancer_Evolution

read this part

"Evolution IV

The Lancer platform was completely changed in 1996, and along with it the Evolution, which had become extremely popular throughout the world. The engine and transaxle was rotated 180&#176; to better balance the weight and eliminate torque steer."

Don't think that I don't know what I am talking about!

Galant306m
04-30-2008, 11:59 PM
that is fucked up cause some evo5 motors that i find are the same way as the 7g and then some of the others are the way of the 8g! i know that they fit cause i was looking to go that rout but its way to much money when you can build a 4g63t for the less!

Now i have an idea that i have been playing with that has been kept on the DL and will stay that way until i decide if i am going to do it! but none the less the internet if fail for the pics that we are both getting lol.! im confused now on which one is which! the pics i got are from evo 5's and the ones that you got are from an evo 5!

SleepingTalon
04-30-2008, 11:59 PM
OK?

Here is the problem! You have an idea in your head that you want to put a EVO 9 motor in your car! RIGHT?

Now what i have been telling you is that it will not fit! WONT FIT IN YOUR CAR! Reason look a pic on google of a evo9 engine bay and you will see what i am talking about! Then i tell you that a freakin Evo5 motor would work if you want to run that! so do it and STFU!

What you are saying is that you would spend around 15 - 20 grand on a is300 depending on the condition of the car! HMMM Now you are going to make this stock car make big HP.! Problem say you are going to make around a decent number not to high 600hp lets say, Ok i will agree with you that a toyota motor is a reliable engine, but to make around 600 hp your going to need around a T40 - a T66 Turbo,! HMM.! Lets say that you are going to be running around 20psi roughly to make that power thats really low boost for a T66. HMM! What i have seen about the is300 is to make about 600 - 700 hp you are looking at droping around 15 - 20 grand. Not just on the motor because you are now going to need to send your transmission out to get built to handle that power and your going to need to have a decent set of gears that will also handle that power, Plus not to add the 4-6 inch exhaust for that size turbo, $$$ not cheap you would spend so much money on doing that and still only have a 10.5 second car that since you have gears you really wouldnt want to drive that on the street.!

So lets think here??? i would rather have a low 13 to mid 12 second 4g63t galant over a 10.5 second is300 that has around 35grand dumped into it that now i cannot drive it on the street.!

Get your shit strait do what you want! But you got your info so what is the point about you keep asking more people Run a EVO5 motor and be happy!

Intersting...where did you come up with those figures, just curious? I've done the turbo 2J thing, and infact have a SC300 with a GTE swap that I did myself, and it didn't cost anywhere near that much money to make big power. Infact, I'm still using the stock W58 tranny, stock injectors, stock cams, stock fuel sytem, stock motor, just a Walbro pump, turbo, manifold, ext wg, fmic, and AEM. I make 540whp/500wtq at 18psi on pump gas. That's well over a 600hp car, and I don't have anywhere near that kind of money in it. The R154 tranny is good for big hp numbers and is fairly cheap too if you wanna upgrade and have a bit of room to have some fun. The 2JZ-GE is the same thing. The only additional thing you need is headstuds and a stock supra HG. That costs an additional $200-250, that's it! Also, just FYI, you can make almost 500whp on the stock twins, no turbo upgrade necessary, so you might wanna actually know what you're talking about before you go around spreading misinformation. I bought my SC's shell for 3k, and spent another 8k in the swap and upgrades, including AEM ems. That doesn't come anywhere close to 35k. The only reason an IS300 would be more expensive is because the car ITSELF costs more. The motors are the exact same in the SC's and IS's, with the only difference being that the IS's have VVT-I. Oh, and for the record, I daily drive my SC300, and have had ZERO problems. I've tuned 2J's for people making way more power who put 20k/yr on their cars too.

kolio
05-01-2008, 12:21 AM
first: LOOK at an evo 5 engine.... faces the same way as an evo 8 (opposite as an evo 3 or a dsm 4g63)
learn what you are talking about before you act like I am some dumb ass who doesn't know how my engine is positioned

second: SOME of you guys might have 13 sec cars....
how fast is you car Kolio??????

i am finishing my all motor stage and running a bi 16G in a couple months. i haven't been to the track but i think about 15s right now i put to the ground 136hp 146tq

there was a 13 sec all motor 7G by dukeplayer

it's pointless to make crazy power if you can't hook. that's why john is probably gonna be the first 7G do be AWD and under 12's. the FWD is a killer for 1/4 mile

microgalant hasn't even tried his car at the track yet. most of us have 15sec cars but have new mototr projects going on.

don't be quck to judge some of the members. i told you the only way i would know to go about the swap.

ohh btw stewi also has a fast as shit 8G thats evo swapped, goosey has a turbo 8G. i can name so many people off hand.

the most 13 sec cars here cost about $1500-$2500 to get there thats how much just evo motors are. DOHCstunr has some crazy shit done to his but has it tuned for optimum fuel efficency and year round driving. if he would go all out on the tune and throw some drag radials i think he would put some fast as shit times down

SleepingTalon
05-01-2008, 12:30 AM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2992000-2992999/2992364_9_full.jpg

LOL...ummm...this car doesn't even have a turbo. You're 0 for 2 tonight.

glantv699
05-01-2008, 12:34 AM
I love this thread

It's a collision of turbo gurus, noobs, and idiots like me making pointless comments!

njjfudge
05-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Intersting...where did you come up with those figures, just curious? I've done the turbo 2J thing, and infact have a SC300 with a GTE swap that I did myself, and it didn't cost anywhere near that much money to make big power. Infact, I'm still using the stock W58 tranny, stock injectors, stock cams, stock fuel sytem, stock motor, just a Walbro pump, turbo, manifold, ext wg, fmic, and AEM. I make 540whp/500wtq at 18psi on pump gas. That's well over a 600hp car, and I don't have anywhere near that kind of money in it. The R154 tranny is good for big hp numbers and is fairly cheap too if you wanna upgrade and have a bit of room to have some fun. The 2JZ-GE is the same thing. The only additional thing you need is headstuds and a stock supra HG. That costs an additional $200-250, that's it! Also, just FYI, you can make almost 500whp on the stock twins, no turbo upgrade necessary, so you might wanna actually know what you're talking about before you go around spreading misinformation. I bought my SC's shell for 3k, and spent another 8k in the swap and upgrades, including AEM ems. That doesn't come anywhere close to 35k. The only reason an IS300 would be more expensive is because the car ITSELF costs more. The motors are the exact same in the SC's and IS's, with the only difference being that the IS's have VVT-I. Oh, and for the record, I daily drive my SC300, and have had ZERO problems. I've tuned 2J's for people making way more power who put 20k/yr on their cars too.

You sound like the guy that was at the Summit meet with the clean ass SC300, if so great car. 7gftw the semple answer is not that the swap can't be done, it can. You asked:

but am wondering what you guys think of the swap, honestly. So what do you guys think?
and that is what most of these guys are giving you. There are guys on this site that have taken the Galant apart and put it back together and can tell you pretty much anything you want to know about it. If you are dead set on having an Evo motor in a Galant there is a 8g on craigslist for $1000, if you buy that and do an Evo swap on it you would come out cheaper, better, and safer that using your 7g as a starting point.