PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger soon available.

ESdriver00
08-16-2002, 11:30 AM
I spoke to Matt from vision imports today and he said a supercharger will be available soon, like 2-3 months. Oh yes.

Cyniket
08-16-2002, 11:48 AM
From what I know about Superchargers and Turbo Chargers is that Superchargers are less controllable than Turbo's are because Superchargers just go when the car hits a certain RPM, and Turbo's are exhaust driven so they are always going and they can be tweaked and customized to your liking. This is just what I have heard, Im not very knowledgable when it comes to Turbo's and Super's. I just know my friend used the analogy of superchargers with American engines which are, in his words "big and stupid" which I would have to agree. But with the little knowledge that I have I would preferably go with Turbo Chargers.

burthold
08-16-2002, 12:12 PM
Incorrect. Superchargers and Turbo Chargers work on the same principal. Superchargers run off the engine. Therefor you are under some measure of boost all the time. The increase HP accross the whole powerband of your engine but don't reach maximum output until you hit the RPM it is tuned for. The upside is you don't have any lag in power it increases with the RPMs of the engine. The down side is usually they don't make their maximum power until the higher rpm range. Turbos work diffrently in that they run off your exahust to spin the impellers. With that in mind they don't develop their power until there is enough exhaust preasure to spin the turbo up. You can pick a small turbo that spins up quickly or larger turbos that spin up slower. The problem is small turbos only provide small boost levels and peak out quickly usually reaching maximum boost between 28 and 35 hundred rpm. larger turbos take longer to spool up and tend to hurt low end performance but once they reach maximum spin they can diliver much more air than the quick spinning small turbos. So, now you have a large turbo that doesn't hit peak output untill 5500 rpms and drags the engine down until it hits that RPM. Both turbos and superchargers regulate boost preasure in the same way with a blow off valve that allows excess boost preasure to be bled off and keep from overboosting the system. So, the upside of turbos are that they tend to be cheaper and small ones don't suffer as much "turbo lag" as the large ones. When people move to large turbos they usually add a shot of nitrous to help the engine rev quickly and hit the turbos powerband as quickly as possible overcomming the large amounts of turbo lag. Personally I like superchargers better they have great low end response and since you car is constantly under boost you don't have the jump from comming under preasure all at once in a certian rpm range. I think superchargers make for better daily drivers. There are a lot of opinions out there though and Mine is just one.

One last note for you cyniket... There is no replacement for displacement. Big american motors may seem like a waste to you but when you have hit the top of your I4 or small V6 larger displacement engines still have a ton of room to grow. The down side on those is larger engines weigh more decreasing your power to wieght ratio.

I can't wait to see what RPW ends up with as far as a package!

Wes

Fishboy55
08-16-2002, 12:26 PM
Great explanation Wes!. I'm with you. I can't wait to see RPW's setup. I have so myuch faith in their R&D and the quality of their products. Although I really like the Rippmods supercharger, it's just way out of my price range right now.

Chip

Black2k1GTZ
08-16-2002, 01:07 PM
It should be interesting to see for sure!!! But ive got a few tricks up my sleeve to make a few heads turn!!!!

And ive always loved that wine of the supercharger...I mean a dump valve is cool...but that mechaniacal whine is sooo satisfying!!!!

Marc :mg:

Cyniket
08-16-2002, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the explaination, now I am knowledgable https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

GalantT3
08-16-2002, 02:16 PM
Thanx for then info Wes! Maybe I should get the super charger instead! Oh well superchargers and turbos both have their strong points but to me turbos seem like they are more high maintenance! But all and all thanks for the info Wes!

RedGalant2k1
08-17-2002, 06:00 AM
www.rippmods.com has already taken measurements for the I4 SuperCharger, its supposed to be finished by the spring or summer.

Good thing about Ripp Motorsports is that we know they take their time to get things right, and the V6 SuperCharged 2G Stratus put down 402hp!!! :shock: Go to the website for more info or visit www.2gstratus.org

Sarah
08-17-2002, 08:46 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>www.rippmods.com has already taken measurements for the I4 SuperCharger, its supposed to be finished by the spring or summer.</div> :rockon: :cheeselove:

J. T. Z.
08-17-2002, 09:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Good thing about Ripp Motorsports is that we know they take their time to get things right, and the V6 SuperCharged 2G Stratus put down 402hp!!! :shock: Â*Go to the website for more info or visit www.2gstratus.org</div>
402 hp from a stratus? That's insane! :scary: It will be very interesting to see what they come up with for our cars.

Auto-9
08-17-2002, 10:26 AM
I personally like the blower more because of that cool whine and the always on power. But I'm not getting anything anytime soon without cash https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

RedGalant2k1
08-17-2002, 05:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>I personally like the blower more because of that cool whine and the always on power. But I'm not getting anything anytime soon without cash https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>

thats why i like blowers https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

I want more power at all RPMs not just at part of the powerband.

Hopefully we can see as decent gains with the I4 S/C Kit as we have seen with the V6 S/C Kit.

I'd love to have a 300hp I4 Galant https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Tiller
08-17-2002, 05:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burthold)</div><div class='quotemain'>Incorrect. Superchargers and Turbo Chargers work on the same principal.</div>

While this is somewhat true, it is also misleading... Both function to force more air into the eingine, to create more power, but they go about it in 2 completley different ways...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Superchargers run off the engine. Therefor you are under some measure of boost all the time. The increase HP accross the whole powerband of your engine but don't reach maximum output until you hit the RPM it is tuned for. The upside is you don't have any lag in power it increases with the RPMs of the engine. The down side is usually they don't make their maximum power until the higher rpm range.</div>

Not quite true... I only have experience with a Roots type blower, but you are not under boost at all times... normally there is a sensor to let the engine know that you have passed the 50% throttle mark, which then opens a valve to allow the SC to push the air into the manifold... anything uncer 50% and you'd never know the car was boosted...

Like i said, i do not have experience with a centrifigal SC, so they may operate a little different...

No form of forced induction will make it's peak power until you are in the upper RPM band... tell me a car that makes it's peak power at 3000rpm...?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> Turbos work diffrently in that they run off your exahust to spin the impellers. With that in mind they don't develop their power until there is enough exhaust preasure to spin the turbo up. You can pick a small turbo that spins up quickly or larger turbos that spin up slower. The problem is small turbos only provide small boost levels and peak out quickly usually reaching maximum boost between 28 and 35 hundred rpm. larger turbos take longer to spool up and tend to hurt low end performance but once they reach maximum spin they can diliver much more air than the quick spinning small turbos. So, now you have a large turbo that doesn't hit peak output untill 5500 rpms and drags the engine down until it hits that RPM. </div>

That's a pretty good explanation of how a turbo works... the way to solve all that shit...? TWIN TURBO... one small, and one large... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Both turbos and superchargers regulate boost preasure in the same way with a blow off valve that allows excess boost preasure to be bled off and keep from overboosting the system.</div>

A roots type blower has no blowoff valve... as the SC is spun off a pulley, and the pulley is made to only allow the SC to spin to a certain speed and then hold there...

Again, though a centrifigal SC will allow more boost than you want, so a blow off valve would be needed...

Is this SC supposed to be a roots type or a centifigal type...?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>pside of turbos are that they tend to be cheaper and small ones don't suffer as much "turbo lag" as the large ones. When people move to large turbos they usually add a shot of nitrous to help the engine rev quickly and hit the turbos powerband as quickly as possible overcomming the large amounts of turbo lag. Personally I like superchargers better they have great low end response and since you car is constantly under boost you don't have the jump from comming under preasure all at once in a certian rpm range. I think superchargers make for better daily drivers. Â*
Wes</div>

I would agree that a SC makes for a better daily driver as well... but they can be just as much a fuckin nightmare as a turbo... it's all about getting the fuel management down... this is what will make or break your system... I'll tell you now, that piggyback shit works... but it's not idiot proof... make sure you know what you are getting into before you make the leap for FI... it can be fun, but it can also be very costly... "if you do it RIGHT"...

burthold
08-17-2002, 06:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>While this is somewhat true, it is also misleading... Both function to force more air into the eingine, to create more power, but they go about it in 2 completley different ways...</div>

I wouldn't say completly diffrent. They both use a mechanism to speed air up and increase its volume. They may be mechanicly diffrent but the principle and effect are the same

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Superchargers run off the engine. Therefor you are under some measure of boost all the time. The increase HP accross the whole Â*

Not quite true... I only have experience with a Roots type blower, but you are not under boost at all times... normally there is a sensor to let the engine know that you have passed the 50% throttle mark, which then opens a valve to allow the SC to push the air into the manifold... anything uncer 50% and you'd never know the car was boosted... Â*
</div>

With a Roots style blower you are under boost at low rpm 1500 or so. I would call that pretty much always under boost. With a Vortech super you can set it up to be some boost all the time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>No form of forced induction will make it's peak power until you are in the upper RPM band... tell me a car that makes it's peak power at 3000rpm...?</div>

I use to run a subaru that only had 4 psi of boost it made all 4 psi at a low rpm. It was a real kick in the ass at the low end but fell off sharply on the high end. That is what I was trying to illistrate.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>That's a pretty good explanation of how a turbo works... the way to solve all that shit...? TWIN TURBO... one small, and one large... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif</div>

Hehe, yep. Twin turbos have their own set of problems to deal with though. intake balance and turbo staging setups can be copmplicated.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>A roots type blower has no blowoff valve... as the SC is spun off a pulley, and the pulley is made to only allow the SC to spin to a certain speed and then hold there... Â*

Again, though a centrifigal SC will allow more boost than you want, so a blow off valve would be needed... Â*
</div>

Correct. I was making some sweeping comments. the SC that I see on most cars our type are Vortech and come armed with a blowoff valve and ether pully settings for a set rpm or shaft geared with a throw out clutch

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I would agree that a SC makes for a better daily driver as well... but they can be just as much a fuckin nightmare as a turbo... it's all about getting the fuel management down... this is what will make or break your system... I'll tell you now, that piggyback shit works... but it's not idiot proof... make sure you know what you are getting into before you make the leap for FI... it can be fun, but it can also be very costly... "if you do it RIGHT"..
</div>

A good tuner is always needed to a FI setup on our type of cars where it rolled out of the fatory NA. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

One other thing I didn't hit on at all with SC's is mechanical breakdown pully alignment problems and the like that can plague them. You ever had a blowershaft go walking on you? loads of fun to watch the top part of your 10k motor blow up. Another side note, since turbos run off your exhaust they pass some of that heat on to the air charge changing its density. Thats why you see intercoolers used with turbos so much. You will heat the air up by compressing it too so both are not immune to hot intake air.

ROCK ON! Hehe. I'm glad someone else is on top of things. Lord knows I'm not always right. I tend to make some general statements that don't apply to every application out there. Thanks a ton for following this up and correcting me!

Wes

Tiller
08-17-2002, 07:35 PM
the heatsoak issue is a problem wiht SC as well... i know they are making efforts to find ways to cool the intake charge... i.e. water injection, a 25 shot of NO2 will help...

I like how Vortech has the aftercooler... heated intake charges are a leading cause of detonation... and blown motors...

GalantT3
08-18-2002, 10:53 AM
Which one is better???? Supercharger or Turbo, and RedGalant whats going with the turbo kit they make are people having a hard time getting it????? And how much you think a supercharger kit will cost when its done???????

RollinBishiStyle
08-18-2002, 12:10 PM
To much quoting going on here i cant keep up :shock:

TJC
08-18-2002, 12:42 PM
I know some say that with a mild turbo running under 7psi, all you need to do is probably upgrade the tranny.

With that said, how much engine and tranny upgrading would be needed to accommodate an SC (if any)?

BTW, thx Tiller and Wes for all the clerification on SC's & Turbo's. :thumbsup:

burthold
08-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Well RIPP is running thier bolt on SC kit at 5 psi on all stock parts. Like with any other boost application the more you turn up the boost the more money you will need to spend upgrading your tranny and bottom end on your engine.

Wes

Tiller
08-18-2002, 05:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know some say that with a mild turbo running under 7psi, all you need to do is probably upgrade the tranny.

With that said, how much engine and tranny upgrading would be needed to accommodate an SC (if any)?

BTW, thx Tiller and Wes for all the clerification on SC's & Turbo's. :thumbsup:</div>

i wouldn't want to run more than 5-7 psi on the Galant's stock tranny... but i'm not too familiar with them so i couldn't say for sure... i never ran any FI on a auto tranny... with a manual you always want to upgrade the clutch, and normally lighten the flywheel to allow the rpm's to build quicker...

unless you plan to run double digit boost numbers i wouldn't eb too worried about internals and the tranny... from Mitsu's reputation, their bottom ends can take a hell of a lot of boost, without ANY work...

RedGalant2k1
08-19-2002, 01:04 AM
Basically MPH scammed a lot of Club 3G members, they even had the balls to charge things that they never sold just to get money. They were sued by several members, and are being sued by more. I think Club 3G even brought a Class Action Suit against them. I'd read up on www.EclipseForums.org for full info, just type in "MPH Unlimited" in the search engine and you'll find plenty.

On the other hand Reelax hasn't had a problem with them, so go figure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know some say that with a mild turbo running under 7psi, all you need to do is probably upgrade the tranny.

BTW, thx Tiller and Wes for all the clerification on SC's & Turbo's. :thumbsup:</div>

i wouldn't want to run more than 5-7 psi on the Galant's stock tranny... but i'm not too familiar with them so i couldn't say for sure... i never ran any FI on a auto tranny... with a manual you always want to upgrade the clutch, and normally lighten the flywheel to allow the rpm's to build quicker...

unless you plan to run double digit boost numbers i wouldn't eb too worried about internals and the tranny... from Mitsu's reputation, their bottom ends can take a hell of a lot of boost, without ANY work...</div>

HKS and Mitsu tested a S/C on a V6 Galant running around 5-7psi they couldn't keep the tranny from blowing, and knowing how cheap Mitsu is about cool things in the USA they scraped the project. ANd your right about the stock bottom end can take hella abuse, but its still good to get forged pistons, and ofcourse fuel upgrades but you know that.

burthold
08-19-2002, 01:08 AM
The mitsu auto tranny in our cars suck ass. I don't think there is a nice way to sugar coat it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Wes

TJC
08-19-2002, 01:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burthold)</div><div class='quotemain'>The mitsu auto tranny in our cars suck ass. I don't think there is a nice way to sugar coat it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Wes</div>

true.

But at least with an SC, you don't get all that boost all at once and think you can get away with more. A good analogy is like driving normally from a dead stop while in gear versus neutral drops, hahaha. Ok, I mean almost. :wink:

Big H Killa
08-19-2002, 09:02 AM
I agree with Tiller. To eliminate alot of turbo lag you get one big turbo and one small and there you go. The smaller helps eliminate the larger turbo's lag and the larger turbo picks up were the smaller turbo falls off.

ESdriver00
08-19-2002, 11:39 AM
Well I think a turbo is more to blow your tranny than a supercharger just because once you get over the lag and it kicks in that shit is alot of strain on your tranny, as where as the SC is power at all RPM and is shared. Nevertheless I'm getting my tranny rebuilt, torque conv., valve body system, the works.

Vision Imports said their supercharger will probrably be under $2700. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

GalantT3
08-19-2002, 01:16 PM
2700 is a damn good price for a supercharger! When is it supposed to be released?

Can someone please list all the people that make turbo kits or super charger kits for the I-4?

Also, thanx Red Galant for letting me know how shady MPH is!!! I dont need any trouble!!!! And you just prevented me from making a bad choice!

RedGalant2k1
08-19-2002, 04:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GalantT3)</div><div class='quotemain'>2700 is a damn good price for a supercharger! When is it supposed to be released?

Can someone please list all the people that make turbo kits or super charger kits for the I-4?

Also, thanx Red Galant for letting me know how shady MPH is!!! I dont need any trouble!!!! And you just prevented me from making a bad choice!</div>

Just letting fellow members know the truth of these companies https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

AS for who makes turbo kits?

www.XtechEng.com (Only has a V6 Turbo kit)
www.HahnRaceCraft.com (Supposed to have made a turbo kit for the 3G)
www.ddynopower.com (First producer of FI Kits for the V6 and I4 3G, recently released Stage 2 Kits)
www.MPHUnlimited.com (Shady yes, but they are producing the Twin Turbo kit for us 8Gs Galants and 3G Eclipses, good luck actually getting it though)
www.RippMods.com (Produces the only S/C Kit for the V6 3GEclipse/2g Stratus/8G Galant, has taken measurements for the I4 3GEclipse /2G Stratus/8G Galant)
www.AtmospherePerformance.com (Put their Turbo Project 3G on hold for now)

there may be more buts thats all i can remember right now. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Mitsiman
08-19-2002, 08:54 PM
To clarify some information

(A) The RPW supercharger kits are actually something that is being co designed with RIPP mods for the australian market and is not intended for teh USA market.

(https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif The RPW twin turbo kits for the V6 model vehicles are being designed by us and will be exported to the USA market.

I am sure there is more I wanted to say - other than our turbo kits will be preset at a 5 psi bracket and running two Garret GT-25 ball bearing turbo's which will result in NO TURBO LAG and are extremely efficient. At that psi boost they will produce more horsepower than a supercharger system purely as there is no drag on the engine and we will not have fitment problems etc like other companies have had.

Anyway any questions I am happy to answer.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

BiGMaN
08-20-2002, 05:46 PM
I can't figure out how Doug's DynoPower got so much more out of the turbo on the 4cyl than the 6. It says that the stock 6 dynoed at 146hp and w/turbo it went up to 259hp, a 77% gain. And the stock 4 dynoed at 109hp and they got that up to 230 hp a 111% gain. Can anyone explain that to me :?:

Mitsiman
08-20-2002, 07:17 PM
There are several factors - which turbo is used and its efficiency level on a four cyl V 6 cyl Ie turbo size, choice of boost level, intercooler size and efficiency on relevant motors, choice of fuel injection mods etc.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

ESdriver00
08-21-2002, 11:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mitsiman)</div><div class='quotemain'>To clarify some information

(A) The RPW supercharger kits are actually something that is being co designed with RIPP mods for the australian market and is not intended for teh USA market.

(https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif The RPW twin turbo kits for the V6 model vehicles are being designed by us and will be exported to the USA market.

I am sure there is more I wanted to say - other than our turbo kits will be preset at a 5 psi bracket and running two Garret GT-25 ball bearing turbo's which will result in NO TURBO LAG and are extremely efficient. At that psi boost they will produce more horsepower than a supercharger system purely as there is no drag on the engine and we will not have fitment problems etc like other companies have had.

Anyway any questions I am happy to answer.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au</div>

Damn. But this will be still be available to us though right? And it will work right? I wouldn't mind getting the twin turbo but don't want to lose header, and too much other shit involved with turbo. Will you guys ever make a supercharger for us U.S owners?

Mitsiman
08-21-2002, 08:29 PM
At this stage with the RIPP Mods supercharger system out there we will not be developing a system for teh galants.

We will be developing our twin turbo system which can be adpated to the galants no problems but if you want a supercharger then definitly speak with RIPP Mods or one of our dealers who wil lalso be distributing the RIPP mods supercharger system.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

Shadow
08-22-2002, 03:28 PM
RIPPMODDS has released (limited numbers) their supercharger for the V6 here is the link

http://www.eclipseforums.org/showthread.ph...&threadid=60309 ('http://www.eclipseforums.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60309')

faital
08-27-2002, 11:15 AM
I WANT A TURBO FOR MY GALANTT DO THEY MAKE THEM FOR 2001 I4 GALANTS

Lazarus
08-27-2002, 01:35 PM
I THINK I AM GOING TO CRY......IT'S BEAUTIFUL https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

r-ezz.e
08-27-2002, 04:30 PM
I THINK I AM GOING TO CRY......IT'S BEAUTIFUL https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

It's been a long time coming......Slowly but surely....finally..... things r coming together for us 8g owners. There r companies that r willing to listen to us and finally see that our 8g's can be a rare thing if seriously "imported out". i think i'm gonna cry also :cry: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif 8)
First the intake, then the headers, now the S/C and turbo...and not just any turbo but possibly a TT......*ah 8) how great. It's to bad someone isn't dong anything w/an exhaust system. but can't be to picky i guess. Did anyone say thanks to Importvision and RPW? *in unison...Thanks GUYS!.... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Just when i was gonna criticize RPW for making a turbo for our 3rd cousin the Lancer (not to be mistaken w/our 1st cuzins...The EVO and eclipse). https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif Hey Mitsiman thanks for taking us seriously...Keep up the good work........

Auto-9
08-27-2002, 05:26 PM
I WANT A TURBO FOR MY GALANTT DO THEY MAKE THEM FOR 2001 I4 GALANTS

Yes https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Mitsiman
08-27-2002, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Yes I am personally itching to finish the twin turbo system and we can produce a turbo system for the 8G I4 guy's as well if you were interestd. Very competitve pricing as well as using the garret ball bearing turbo system with no turbo lag and great responsivness.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

faital
08-28-2002, 02:31 PM
iam looking for a supergharger can someone tell if tey make one for the 8g galant if so who does

RedGalant2k1
08-28-2002, 11:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(faital)</div><div class='quotemain'>iam looking for a supergharger can someone tell if tey make one for the 8g galant if so who does</div>

look at my post at the top of this page.