PDA

View Full Version : 8g..sirius w/ stock infinity headunit?

DOHCstunr
04-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Ok,
on my 7g i have an aftermarket headunit with auxillary input.
so i bought an adapter cable and direct wired my sirius into my headunit so i get true 100% digital sound.

My sister picked up a 01 8g with the infinity system.

she wants me to move her sirius tuner from her old car into the 8g.

so here is the question:

Is there a way to wire a sirius tuner output directly into the stock infiniti headunit so that she can have true digital sound?
Or is she doomed to be stuck with an fm relay and shitty diluted analog sound?

fliegendaffe
04-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Ok,
on my 7g i have an aftermarket headunit with auxillary input.
so i bought an adapter cable and direct wired my sirius into my headunit so i get true 100% digital sound.

My sister picked up a 01 8g with the infinity system.

she wants me to move her sirius tuner from her old car into the 8g.

so here is the question:

Is there a way to wire a sirius tuner output directly into the stock infiniti headunit so that she can have true digital sound?
Or is she doomed to be stuck with an fm relay and shitty diluted analog sound?

you can do that with any head unit

just buy the $36 part and either have it installed for you or install it yourself

DOHCstunr
04-28-2008, 09:24 PM
you can do that with any head unit

just buy the $36 part and either have it installed for you or install it yourself

so why not tell me which part.

as i've already said. i did it on my pioneer headunit. but mine had a ip bus. i picked up an ipbus to rca adaptor cable and installed it myself. If i payed people to do things. A: i wouldn't be on this site. B: i woudln't be asking any questions.

With that said. I woudl like to know if there is an adaptor, or if not, then what needs to be done to make this happen?

fliegendaffe
04-28-2008, 09:50 PM
so why not tell me which part.

as i've already said. i did it on my pioneer headunit. but mine had a ip bus. i picked up an ipbus to rca adaptor cable and installed it myself. If i payed people to do things. A: i wouldn't be on this site. B: i woudln't be asking any questions.

With that said. I woudl like to know if there is an adaptor, or if not, then what needs to be done to make this happen?

it is called a direct connect aka SIRIUS FM Direct Audio Relay (FMDA25) (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SIRIUS-FM-Direct-Audio-Relay-FMDA25/sem/rpsm/oid/164589/catOid/-14621/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do)

and did i say you couldn't or didn't know how to install anything yourself? i don't think i did, so please don't put words in my mouth, thanks

fatal1
04-28-2008, 11:52 PM
that isnt really a direct connection like an aux port would be though, thats just supposed to enhance the signal by using the cars antenna in addition to the sirius antenna the transmission is still done via air wave transmission like hooking up one of those wireless ipod things and tuning into a station to get the broadcast... the sirius radio is not "attatched"to the actual radio physically

but to answer your question yes you can...you will need to get an "auxilary input adapter" and then you can wire in the radio via rca's however, they are somewhat expensive... i would personally just get a decent aftermarket headunit that has an aux input

fliegendaffe
04-29-2008, 12:01 AM
that isnt really a direct connection like an aux port would be though, thats just supposed to enhance the signal by using the cars antenna in addition to the sirius antenna the transmission is still done via air wave transmission like hooking up one of those wireless ipod things and tuning into a station to get the broadcast... the sirius radio is not "attatched"to the actual radio physically

but to answer your question yes you can...you will need to get an "auxilary input adapter" and then you can wire in the radio via rca's however, they are somewhat expensive... i would personally just get a decent aftermarket headunit that has an aux input

that is an incorrect statement. what i linked acts like a relay. when the sirius is on, it opens the radio ant circuit allowing the DSR signal to go through. then another wire from that same part plugs into you 3.5 mm jack on your car kit or DSR unit. thus, it is direct connect and not wireless

IVORY_G
04-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Well I've seen that FM Direct Relay, but I dont much about it. I can tell you the way Ive done it b4.

1. Bought a Mini-Jack/RCA Y-Chord @ Radio Shack [Mini-Jack on one end, and splits into RCA cable on other end]

2. Dusted off my old EQ

3. Connected up the mini-jack to the Satellite Radio & Connected the RCA to the EQ

4. Connected EQ to RCA Converter

5. Connect RCA Converter's wires by splicing into the rear 6x9"s or the door 6.5"s wires. (+) & (-) wires

6. Listen & Enjoy.

OPTIONAL: Then you can connect up a Subwoofer into the EQ if you'd like for a lil xtra BASS.

Thats the best way to do it for best quality sound if she doesnt want to change out Factory Headunit.

fliegendaffe
04-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Well I've seen that FM Direct Relay, but I dont much about it. I can tell you the way Ive done it b4.

1. Bought a Mini-Jack/RCA Y-Chord @ Radio Shack [Mini-Jack on one end, and splits into RCA cable on other end]

2. Dusted off my old EQ

3. Connected up the mini-jack to the Satellite Radio & Connected the RCA to the EQ

4. Connected EQ to RCA Converter

5. Connect RCA Converter's wires by splicing into the rear 6x9"s or the door 6.5"s wires. (+) & (-) wires

6. Listen & Enjoy.

OPTIONAL: Then you can connect up a Subwoofer into the EQ if you'd like for a lil xtra BASS.

Thats the best way to do it for best quality sound if she doesnt want to change out Factory Headunit.

best way to do it is the way i mentioned or the new hu

IVORY_G
04-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Im not here to argue whats better or worse, just giving alternative method and what I've done in my experience. And I dont see how an FM signal can ever be compared to CD quality sound through an EQ. But thats my opinion.

fliegendaffe
04-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Im not here to argue whats better or worse, just giving alternative method and what I've done in my experience. And I dont see how an FM signal can ever be compared to CD quality sound through an EQ. But thats my opinion.

um because it's not an FM signal...duh. it is being physically wired into the unit. No FM signals. It's the same as plugging your headphones into the DSR unit.

IVORY_G
04-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Yes it does smart ass. Otherwise whats the purpose of it being called a "FM Direct relay"? Maybe because it plays through the FM signal without the static and interference that a wireless module does. Which does not equal/compare to CD sound quality. Read the product description. RCA's through an EQ and RCA converter will cost a little more, but give better sound without having to sacrifice your stock headunit.

fliegendaffe
04-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Yes it does smart ass. Otherwise whats the purpose of it being called a "FM Direct relay"? Maybe because it plays through the FM signal without the static and interference that a wireless module does. Which does not equal/compare to CD sound quality. Read the product description. RCA's through an EQ and RCA converter will cost a little more, but give better sound without having to sacrifice your stock headunit.

ok dude, i know my damn products. THERE IS NO FM SIGNAL BEING BROaDCASTED FROM THE DSR UNIT! It is hardwired! Hence why it is plugged into the line out jack and is directly plugged into the antenna. NO WIRELESS SIGNALS!

IVORY_G
04-29-2008, 02:59 PM
I know there is no wireless signal, I didnt say there was. Read the product description, I'm done banting with you.

fliegendaffe
04-29-2008, 03:00 PM
I know there is no wireless signal, I didnt say there was. Read the product description, I'm done banting with you.

well now you're changing your story. but ok whatever

7gftw
05-01-2008, 09:29 PM
if it has a factory changer wire (most of them do) then get a peripheral MITPIL....