PDA

View Full Version : Camber & alignment stuff

JiP
01-10-2003, 02:18 AM
On xmass day was snowing over here and going down a steep hill around 15mph car slid out and the passenger side wheel hit the curb my wheel was turned all the way to the left and the car sliding on a 45deg angle so it pretty much hit the rim flat into the curb, not the front of the tire. Didnt appear to be any damage and drove fine just pulled to the right a little, the next day I noticed a gridning noise that would appear only after driving like 15 min, I changed the wheel bearing on that tire, and the grinding is gone.

But after the accident the car would pull to the right and after bearing change it still does, I can easly see that the top of the passenger side wheel (the one that hit) is slightly tilted in. From what I've read our model cars cant adjust camber so this means somethin is bent correct?

I have inspected the lower control arms, tie rod etc nothing seems bent, So what else should I check? What would cause a negative camber from an impact like that?

Nick VR4
01-10-2003, 03:16 AM
Take the car to a tyre shop for alignment check etc you only need to be slightly out
Visible checking is not going to show that

Nick

manybrews
01-10-2003, 07:04 AM
yes, something is bent. and there are no alignment adjustments (except for toe) which are adjustable, so you need something replaced. Probably a lateral arm or a compression arm.

JiP
01-10-2003, 12:09 PM
I know something has to be bent, but like I said lateral and compression arm are perfectly fine. The tire is leaning out more from the Bottom, so if one or both of the two lower arms were bent wouldnt the tire be leaning on the opposite angle giving it a positive camber?

If you adjust the angle on the 2 fingers that mount the upper ball joint to the car Chiltons says they should be torqued down at about 84 degrees, I dont suppose that would give any camber adjustment...(?)

manybrews
01-10-2003, 05:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know something has to be bent, but like I said lateral and compression arm are perfectly fine. Â*The tire is leaning out more from the Bottom, so if one or both of the two lower arms were bent wouldnt the tire be leaning on the opposite angle giving it a positive camber?

If you adjust the angle on the 2 fingers that mount the upper ball joint to the car Chiltons says they should be torqued down at about 84 degrees, Â*I dont suppose that would give any camber adjustment...(?)</div>
no, they self center in their mounts.

the only fix is to find out whats damaged and replace it. you could have damaged the subframe, too.