PDA

View Full Version : To knife edge or not to knife edge!

Shadow19
05-05-2008, 05:59 PM
So... Ive got the motor out of the car again due to a funky sound coming from the oil pump.. Im still not sure wtf it is yet but! I will get to that another time. Now im weighing out my options. I dont want to do a full blown engine build such as DOHC and turbo.. Thats why i have the 1g (if i want speed it will be built for speed).. I just want my car to be decently fast and reliable ALL motor and i want to see what the SOHC will really do. My question is... It costs 320 for a knife edge and balance job for the crank. What will my gains be? Is it worth 320? I just want my motor to rev alot faster and im told that knife edging the crank would be a good thing to do. A run down of whats in store for it if i decide to do a knife edge crank. Arp studs all around, new rods, new pistons, get the block bored 20 over, oil pump, gaskets and allll of that good shit. Also.. Everything will be black! WOOT WOOT. Oh and i cant forget that im going to have my tranny rebuilt since i have grinding gears Anyways.. Im all ears and im open to what you have to say. I already have a lightweight flywheel and my car def revs pretty fast with it but i want it to rev faster.

Thanks,
Johnas

DOHCstunr
05-05-2008, 07:20 PM
i have no response for this.

Blue Ice
05-05-2008, 09:45 PM
In all my readings, the quicker the engine revvs was mainly to get the turbo to spool faster, obviously getting the the hp gains faster. BUT, since you want this car to N/A there's no gain of that.

If the G is to be your daily driver there is a darker side to having the engine to be able to rev fast... it will also "de"rev fast. Basically, you'd be loosing the Newton's II Law of Motion. An object in motion has a tendency to stay in motion. Highway drives will probably cost you more in gas mileage cause the engine will have to push harder to stay at a faster speed. When you had the automatic with the heavy torque converter and all that crap, you're car had to work less to stay at medium to high speeds. Then with the lightwt flywheel, you got a quicker responce from stop, and a quicker responce going from one speed to another. But i noticed, on my car, that it seemed to have to push a lil harder at 70 mph that it did before the 5spd swap with fidanza aluminum flywheel.

My Opinion; 1. Since you won't be getting the advantage of spooling a turbo, and 2. you don't plan on dragging racing this car, and it will prob be the daily, I'd say pass on knifing crank. I'm sure you could use the $320 else where and have better gaines.

panda
05-06-2008, 05:09 AM
lol.. he doesnt even drive that thing much.. lol.. 320 jiggles.. lets get drunk :D

Shadow19
05-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks Ice. I appreciate it. I was under the impression that weight off of the crank added hp and knife edgeing reduced lag on the crank because oil hits the counterweights or something of that nature.. BUT since it was explained to me I will not be going that route ;-).

DOHCstunr
05-06-2008, 10:26 AM
if you are worried about windage, just get a crank scraper. they are very very cheap.

as far as knife edging.....

I find it odd that you are willing to tear down your motor, and rebuild it, and modify it during the rebuild....
but won't do the dohc swap.
IDK why people are so intimidated by it.

T-double
05-06-2008, 12:02 PM
well it just depends....If you knife edge a crank and you have boost on it it makes the crank weaker and more pron for failier......I have tried to get some done in the past and some shops that specialize in crank service refuse to do it if it is a turbo or boost added to the combination.....it is kind of you choice.....When knife edging the crank you are helping take weigh off the roating assembly....

Cali
05-06-2008, 12:58 PM
pass.

Shadow19
05-06-2008, 03:44 PM
if you are worried about windage, just get a crank scraper. they are very very cheap.

as far as knife edging.....

I find it odd that you are willing to tear down your motor, and rebuild it, and modify it during the rebuild....
but won't do the dohc swap.
IDK why people are so intimidated by it.

Im not scared of the swap. Im just not willing to pay the price for it and deal with the rewire and all that crap. Plus i want to keep my obd2 so i can just haul ass to autozone and get them to check it for free without dealing with the headache of searching for ways to pull codes.

Blue Ice
05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
If your gonna rebuild the engine from ground up, you can do a head swap pretty easy and keep it obd2. the only wires you'd have to add the cam angle sensor, ignition transistor pack, and coil pack. As far as money, try to get one from a jy or pick and pull, and you'd have the head pretty cheap.

peanotation
05-07-2008, 01:37 PM
what he's saying is he'd rather have a shop knife edge a crank than do something himself on his own car

Shadow19
05-07-2008, 04:14 PM
what he's saying is he'd rather have a shop knife edge a crank than do something himself on his own car

So i assume you have a machine that would bore your block and whatever else you HAVE to have taken to a machine shop if so lucky you. I do all the work on my car sometimes i need a little help from a few friends but who doesnt? The port work I did on MY own CAR obviously doesnt count as something that ive done or the 5 speed swap, 60mm TB and all the other stuff ive done is that what youre getting at?. Im not doing a head swap due to FUNDS and the simple fact that i bought a 1g to be my "beast". Knife edging was a thought. I didnt know all of the downfalls about it on a N/A car hence why i asked.

DOHCstunr
05-07-2008, 05:20 PM
1g = money pit. not beast.

Shadow19
05-07-2008, 08:04 PM
1g = money pit. not beast.

HAHA.. My galant is a money pit............