PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Any (Near) Silent Performance Mufflers?

sj420
01-10-2003, 12:06 PM
I'm not too big on noisy exhausts, but I do want to free up a few hp's. I've been looking for some mufflers to use when I get dual exhausts (not true dual). Are there any silent mufflers out there that don't utilize an ugly silencer you slap inside the tip? I'm looking for something with a modest ~3" tip.

Also, I'd like to know if simply getting dual exhausts (let's say w/ two stock mufflers to have a constant) allows the car to breathe a little easier, or if it makes virtually no difference. Let's not get into catbacks here. Just trying to get a decent concept on how piping and mufflers affect hps... TIA.

Fishboy55
01-10-2003, 12:24 PM
Look at the Bosal Prosport muffler. It's the quietest free flowing muffler I've found. I love mine. Youy can get it cheaply at www.olyonline.com.

Do a search on dual exhausts. This has been discussed at length and the discussions include the problems and expense with doing the dual conversion.

Chip

pinoyesv6
01-10-2003, 12:41 PM
ur not gonna see a gain with two stock mufflers. most likely ur gonna see a loss possibly. from the added weight most likely

sj420
01-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll look into those.

I've read pretty much all the posts on duals but there really hasn't been a discussion on how it affects hp. It was mostly true dual/over or under axle discussions. Maybe I missed something?

pinoyesv6
01-10-2003, 12:52 PM
hmmm maybe u got tired of reading my posts. i'll restate it again since im in a good mood.

two stock mufflers not a good idea. if u ever held the stock muffler, it weighs a ton compared to an aftermarket ones. uhm they are restictive too. now you might see gains by having the two mufflers, but because of gravity, the weigh of that extra stock muffler is gonna go against u and probably slow u down.

as for the axleback dual with the aftermarket myufflers, its been done b4 dynoed on some 3g eclipses and well, the people who put them on either lost a lil bit of hp or gained like .5 of a hp. nothing u can really feel. a since good peformance muffler should be sufficient for most applications.

BGR
01-10-2003, 12:56 PM
You're not going to notice any real HP gains with just a muffler, especially a quite one. I mean, with a muffler that has a 'growl' to it when you mash on the gas makes a person believe or feel like the car is actually performing better (with a straight, flow-through muffer, it will be). IMO, If I can't hear it, I definately won't 'feel' it.

sj420
01-10-2003, 02:43 PM
I know stock mufflers are super restrictive to kill the sound, but one of my priorities is the silence (or pretty close, I like a deep low tone). I'm just a little tired of loud ass exhausts, you know? If anyone knows of any quieter mufflers, let me know.
I've never "felt" the hp gains from any car I've driven w/ an exhaust, and I never really expected to. It's just kinda good to know it's breathing a little better. Kinda sucks that 3g Eclipse had no difference at all. Hmm..

Thanks for the heads up tho.

pinoyesv6
01-10-2003, 02:46 PM
there are tunable mufflers out on the market. uhm they restrict the exhaust flow kinda like the stock does but not as much. uhm the silencer is removable if u want to go loud or need all out peforamcen from ur muffler. i recommned riveting them on so they dont' get lost or stolen. but yea if its for the weight reduction alone that would help u...

BlankMan
01-10-2003, 03:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Look at the Bosal Prosport muffler. It's the quietest free flowing muffler I've found. I love mine. Youy can get it cheaply at www.olyonline.com.

Do a search on dual exhausts. This has been discussed at length and the discussions include the problems and expense with doing the dual conversion.

Chip</div>

Hey Chip - do you know does their price include the tip? Seems like a great price - but then they list tips separately, below the mufflers - even though the pics show a complete muffler and tip?

J

pinoyesv6
01-10-2003, 03:12 PM
it comes with a tip...

Fishboy55
01-10-2003, 03:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Look at the Bosal Prosport muffler. It's the quietest free flowing muffler I've found. I love mine. Youy can get it cheaply at www.olyonline.com.

Chip</div>

Hey Chip - do you know does their price include the tip? Seems like a great price - but then they list tips separately, below the mufflers - even though the pics show a complete muffler and tip?

J</div>
It's a one piecer J. The muffler is all solid T304 stainless. The tip is welded on. The tips they list are for people that don't want to buy a muffler, just a dress up.

Chip

BGR
01-10-2003, 05:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sj420)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know stock mufflers are super restrictive to kill the sound, but one of my priorities is the silence (or pretty close, I like a deep low tone). Â*I'm just a little tired of loud ass exhausts, you know? Â*If anyone knows of any quieter mufflers, let me know.
I've never "felt" the hp gains from any car I've driven w/ an exhaust, and I never really expected to. Â*It's just kinda good to know it's breathing a little better. Â*Kinda sucks that 3g Eclipse had no difference at all. Â*Hmm..

Thanks for the heads up tho.</div>

I got the Arospeed tuneable bomb muffler. It's definately not loud, raspy, ricey or anything negative. It sounds very nice, like your car is a serious performance tuned machine. I has a nice deep low tone like you're looking for. These are going for around $135 shipped. I placed a link to a site that sells them in the link section. Everybody on TGC that has a Arospeed muffler has said nothing but good things about them.

BTW, didn't you have a 7G before? And your screen name was saintjohn420?

sj420
01-11-2003, 09:58 PM
Wish there was a way to listen to some of these... Ah whattayagonnado...

And sorry that other guy wasn't me... No 7g here. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif