PDA

View Full Version : 2nd O2 sensor no impact?

JiP
01-10-2003, 12:13 PM
2nd O2 sensor is for emmisions purposes to make sure your CATs are doin there job and has no function in engine control what so ever correct?

I threw 2 error codes the other day after fidiling around near the 2nd o2 sensor, error codes are for failed 2nd O2 heater and failed 2nd O2 sensor. Apparently I angerd the o2 sensor working to close to it.

manybrews
01-10-2003, 05:04 PM
yes, its only to monitor the catalytic converter. you must have unplugged or damaged it.

JiP
01-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Was weding a peice of cardboard under the upper heat shield that runs under the body of the car, I broke a bolt off and it rattled. I think the wires are screwy but whatever Im just gona leave it

Thanks

flipz_ny79
01-10-2003, 07:35 PM
Iam having the same problem, same codes. I put the rpw headers, but I had to get the flex pipe that came with it customized coz it wouldnt fit right. When the guy at the shop took the sensor of ( 2nd one ) he used a torch to break it loose. Could this have posibly damaged it ???
I have a new sensor now for the one before the main cat (cali spec ). Would I be able to change this from the bottom of the car ??? I pulled the seal out but the wire from the sensor still goes about 5" or so into the bottom of the car. Anyone know how to get to that wire harness ??? HELP!!!

JiP
01-10-2003, 07:40 PM
The harness is inside the drivers side kick panel on the center console. If you did remove the seal you will then see where the harness is cause youll see the ground through the hole https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE THE SEAL!! That hole is in the same area where all your electronics are house, TCU, ECU, etc..u do not want water geting up into that.

JiP
01-10-2003, 07:44 PM
I pulled all my cats and since the front CAT is the downpipe...i just welded up my own elbow with autozone exhaust pipes. Then welded a giant nut to the side and screwd my o2 sensor into that, been runing it for about 2 months no problem.

And I pulled the original o2 sensor out of the CAT without a blow tourch, just a 3foot breakerbar and LOTS of wd40. I don't know if a blow tourch will damage the o2 sensor I guess so, there pretty durable so dropping them on the floor and banging them wont kill them, but maybe a blow tourch does https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

I have no CATs on my car, so replacing this o2 sensor doesnt make a difference to me I dont care if the cats are doin there job cause there are non.

:wink: